Xbox Series X 2024 (Brooklin): Features, price, design, and everything we know so far

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Presumably this will only sit vertically then?

Lack of physical media drive is also a big -ve IMO.

The cons outweigh the pros. May as well go for a cheaper original Series X and get some storage expansion with the change!

Jack Pipsam

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm concerned this means they're going to entirely phase out disc versions of the Xbox Series. A fair amount of my Xbox 360, Xbox One & Xbox Series library (outside of Indies) are physical releases. Even the new Prince of Persia, I bought physically the other day. Smart Delivery has been fantastic as a multi generation console owner.

If they stop supporting physical, then my multi-decade ownership of Xbox might come to a legitimate close.

Papo Type R

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
It looks like this article has some outdated rumors... Project Brooklin is said to have been scraped last month. The rumor is that Microsoft in a quarterly project meeting, scrapted a 2024 mid-gen refresh of the Xbox Serise X in order to release it's next-gen (problaby "Xbox Next") 2 years earlier than planned (2026 release instead of planned 2028). Of course everything here and ths article are rumors since Microsoft has not officially released any information on any of this and could have filed old projects in the court battle to acquire Activision on the off chance that documents were leaked to the public (as so happens it did).

Papo Type R

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
I'm concerned this means they're going to entirely phase out disc versions of the Xbox Series. A fair amount of my Xbox 360, Xbox One & Xbox Series library (outside of Indies) are physical releases. Even the new Prince of Persia, I bought physically the other day. Smart Delivery has been fantastic as a multi generation console owner.

If they stop supporting physical, then my multi-decade ownership of Xbox might come to a legitimate close.
Oh, this has been the plan with Microsoft since before the One X release. Microsoft has been wanting to go only digital for over 5 years now. They want to follow how PC's do it now that get games from Steam, Epic, Battle.net, etc... but with the Microsoft Store. One of the reasons Microsoft is Beta testing "Cloud Gaming" for the console. Microsoft is a PC company and they want to bring the Xbox closer and closer to the land of PC gaming.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
If not a physical retail store, what will be the competing store on series x to purchase software
Online stores mostly, but B&M too, via code cards.
Amazon already sells XBOX digital codes and Walmart sells code cards.
Best Buy carries both.
Plenty other smaller shops.

That's why MS isn't in court along Sony over digital sales.

Mind you, I'm not in favor of a diskless high end XBOX (the disk only costs them $10) but it's not the end of the world.

Reactions: nop

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
But you are still inputting those codes into the ms store
And?
They have to be authenticated as real codes somewhere.
The codes come from the XBOX servers and go to retaiers at a discount, just like disks.

A while back some software used built-in code authenticators based on a single algorithm per product--hackers analyzed the software and created code generators for piracy. The modern answer is keep authentication separate from the product using a consumer device-specific hardware code so the server authenticates the user account and the download authenticates the hardware.
Works for phones, tablets, ebook readers, PCs. And allows infinite downloads for the account, even if the hardware dies.

It balances consumer needs with vendor security.
It's not perfect but its the best approach so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124