Trophy 'world phone' has no data service on return to US

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy update mentioned earlier and 8107 are not the same thing, so I'm pretty sure 8107 is not going to fix the problem. I'm not aware of any way to get the Verizon update since it hasn't been released to anyone as far as I know. We just have to wait for Verizon to give it the all clear.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy update mentioned earlier and 8107 are not the same thing, so I'm pretty sure 8107 is not going to fix the problem. I'm not aware of any way to get the Verizon update since it hasn't been released to anyone as far as I know. We just have to wait for Verizon to give it the all clear.

Correct, The forced 8107 is just the WP7 software, not the radio/firmware. In the update it says that it updates the radio to a new version. The MS update that you force is cross carrier/device, it's just software fixes, not radio.

As I did the manual upgrade process 7720>7740>8107, it fixed a lot of little issues but, still a problem with running connection setup.

Advice.
1. For now, Use the backup method said a few pages back. Do a full backup before you leave on your trip, this is just incase everything fails. Keep a little note in your wallet/purse for a few contacts that you NEED to call when you first land/get back to the US, just in case.

2. I saw this method on XDA, not sure if it works on every one's case but, here we go. It's worth a shot for some people.

In Celluar, change "Mode Selection" from CDMA to GSM when your leaving the US. Run Connection setup as needed on your trip for your location(with it on GSM), When you RETURN and in CDMA coverage, run connection setup, set for US and Verizon. After that go in and change it from GSM to CDMA. Your 3g will be fine and No problems getting back on CDMA/3G.

It's worth a shot, I have not left the US to try this so, unless someone wants to send me a few tickets to someplace tropical, they'll have to try it on their phones :)

Last edited:

dinod

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the cross post - but I wanted the news to get out:

Yes - I just got:
Firmware revision number: 2305.13.20110.605
Radio software version: 1.53.00.12.01_23.17w.05.13U

brochaos

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
registered just to post this, but i handle the cell phones where i work, we currently have about 65 trophies on hand. almost all of them travel internationally on a regular basis and this factory reset thing has been driving me nuts. i'm sure it bums the users out too, having to lose all their settings. i've called htc, verizon, etc., they both deny the problem until you push back hard enough. just waiting for the fix to be pushed to our phones. i have one on me now that i wanted to test. it's too bad that i will probably still have to wipe it one more time, i don't think the patch will restore anything, just prevent it from happening again. how something like this gets overlooked on a global phone (the lady on the phone from htc was actually adamant the trophy was not a global phone and warned me that my users should not be using it overseas :confused:) i have no idea.

other than this, the trophy is an awesome phone that integrates seamlessly with our existing microsoft-heavy infrastructure.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
How ironic. For all who anxiously await a fix for this problem, let me share my experience on at&t. I lost data connection on my Samsung Focus S last night... had to call tech support this morning (no phone all night). They had to reset data connection OTA, which apparently happens sometimes... when the phone looks for but can't find a signal. Should not be frequent, they said.

Here's the kicker. Should be rare - EXCEPT if you go overseas, you will lose data when you return. This is normal - we have to reset your data from here.

The ONLY difference between Verizon Trophy and Windows phone on at&t is that *at&t can push OTA reconnect* whereas Verizon cannot. I will find out in 2 weeks... reset may be awaiting me upon return after all. Move to at&t may NOT solve the data connection problem w/ international travel. Only advantage is the wider selection of devices.

Ironic much???

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I got the update notification yesterday when I connected to Zune. Downloaded the updated radio, not sure if there are any other changes. Hopefully this is the fix to our problem but I won't be traveling overseas again until March.

mcetlinski

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I got the notice, completed the update. Now we just need someone to take a trip! Anyone that can verify this fixes it please do. When things quiet down a bit here I'll try running the connection setup application just to verify that it no longer destroys the 3G data.

PZ+WP7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No dice!

Well, I just got back from Iceland...
NO data...

connected to Zune, got notification that I have an HTC update...
Did the update...

STILL NO DATA....
I will play around more before doing a hard reset......

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Issue Resolved (?)

I was overseas operating on GSM (not Verizon's Vodaphone SIM, a T-Mobile one) and got a notice while on WiFi that HTC update was avaialble. I connected to Zune and downloaded and installed it. This is the radio update, not the fix for the keyboard and other issues. I don't have that one installed yet.

Got back and after I landed I switched from GSM to CDMA and restarted the phone and voila, voice and text worked but no data. Tried all the various combos, but still no 3G data. Very dissapointing.

Thought about it and realized I did not have the HTC Connection Setup app installed. I had removed it months ago due to the issues reported with it and Mango. So I connected my phone via WiFi and went to the marketplace to look for this app (I did not see it doing a Zune search, maybe I missed it).

I opened the Connection Setup app and it said I was trying to use Verizon in the United States. I confirmed this and viola for real, 3G came up. No reset of phone or restore from backup. So maybe we have a fix, but it requires the HTC software to be installed (or re-installed)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's finally fixed? This is really good news for me since I'm going overseas in February. Thanks for the update, everyone!

SpaceKadet

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Just personally confirmed that now can get 3G back when returning to the US...

I ran into this problem back in December when coming back from the UK. Had to rebuild my phone which was more of a inconvenience as I had the phone just for a short while, and didn't have much installed on it yet then.

Had to go to the UK again last week. Prior to that applied the update, which updated the radio and also installed the HTC connection setup app.

In some earlier post (don't have the link handy), read the steps to take prior to leaving, and then upon returning to the US. So here's what I've done:

1) In Settings->Cellular changed from CDMA to GSM before leaving the US.
2) Once overseas ran connection setup for my location (with GSM as cellular selection).
3) Once back in the US, ran connection setup and manually set for US/Verizon.
4) Changed Settings->Cellular from GSM to CDMA; at this point didn't have the signal at all, and ran connection setup again, perhaps, didn't need to do step (3).
5) Got the signal and 3G.

Hope this helps anyone who's going abroad with a Trophy.

Last edited:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Good to know, now I just to somehow get a trip to Europe scheduled...we planned to go last year, but first born came along and kind of surprised us and obviously changed plans. For year and years and years undoubtedly.

ms960

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread, so forgive me for resurrecting it.

I am about to leave for a couple weeks for Europe (Germany & Switzerland), and wanted to know how well this phone performs on the GSM networks there? I had contemplated taking my Blackberry since I had heard that a BB does play well with GSM networks, but would really rather have my Trophy.

Anyone, and I know there are a bunch of you, who has used the Trophy in Europe -- while there, did it work as advertised? Did your phone have any problems connecting and staying connected to the networks in Europe?

Just wondering if I should instead take my Trophy over my BB?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism