Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    But also another reason why I think the new flagship might not have all the bells and whistles, at least in the camera department is to cater to a different market. I'd imagine they would also try to make a high end flagship that would appeal to those who arnt interested in the camera and arn't interested in the tradeoffs that the camera brings. That is a huge reason for the weight and thickness of the 920. Even if I think neither is an issue, it still is an issue to some, so I personally think Nokias next flagship might be more of a "flagship for the masses", lighter, thinner, etc.

Just like with N8. It took up till 808 and 920 until there was a comparable camera. While I'm sure it was also partially due to the different OSs being used, but let's face it, having that huge *** camera bulge there is not something that necessarily attracts to masses. I'm sure part of fe. iPhones charm is in how thin and light it is while still having nice feeling materials. I don't think the cameras are a niche or a gimmick, but in a way at the same time they are. I wouldnt consider getting a phone anymore with a camera worse than N8/920, but not all value it high.

As for WP8 to the previous poster, you would have to pay me a lot to make me go iPhone or Android. Sure isn't perfect, but what is?
    beej likes this.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I think the Lumia 920 is safe for a while yet. Nokia don't have the production capacity for another flagship. They can't make enough 920's as it is so it makes no sense to announce a replacement. The Lumia 620 is on it's way and will probably outsell the 920 further bottlenecking production. If you like the 920 then buy it now.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Get the phone that suits you today. Unless you want to go off the countless rumors online...something new and 'better' is always around the corner. You'll never be satisfied if you constantly chase some phone on the horizon.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Get the phone that suits you today. Unless you want to go off the countless rumors online...something new and 'better' is always around the corner. You'll never be satisfied if you constantly chase some phone on the horizon.
    And that is exactly what it boils down to, and why I got the 822 now. Next spring, my wife will get the 822 and I'll get the next best thing.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

That is one of the problems I have with 24 month long contracts, keeps me tied in too long. I end up waiting a while at the end of my contract so I secure whatever phone I have my eye on. Then I worry about what is coming next. Technology is so rewarding, yet so cruel to it's greatest followers. We are like ancient mariners heading for the horizon looking for new lands, when we get there we look and notice yet another horizon with the promise of new greener pastures.

My choices usually boil down to whether I can cope any longer with the gadget I have. My last phone was going good, lasted for 5 months after the end of the contract but was starting to lag a bit. I ended up pulling the trigger and grabbing the Lumia 920. I just couldn't see anything more compelling coming up before Q2 next year.

lol I had a good larf in this thread.

It reminds of those other Verizon rumor threads on this board - "922 with 20MP camera coming on Black Friday"... "Quad Core 922 coming around Christmas"... "1022 coming on Easter with 40MP and quad core!".

Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    That is one of the problems I have with 24 month long contracts, keeps me tied in too long. I end up waiting a while at the end of my contract so I secure whatever phone I have my eye on. Then I worry about what is coming next. Technology is so rewarding, yet so cruel to it's greatest followers. We are like ancient mariners heading for the horizon looking for new lands, when we get there we look and notice yet another horizon with the promise of new greener pastures.

My choices usually boil down to whether I can cope any longer with the gadget I have. My last phone was going good, lasted for 5 months after the end of the contract but was starting to lag a bit. I ended up pulling the trigger and grabbing the Lumia 920. I just couldn't see anything more compelling coming up before Q2 next year.
    Yeah, the 24 month contracts are far too long :(
    Nearly at the end of my current contract though, which is good, but I do wish it would end sooner. Not that the HTC 7 Trophy I own is a bad phone or anything, but it wasn't such a great phone to start off with in the first place, and I would much rather get rid of it now.

Global Posts
    6,864 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonSQD View Post
    Yeah, the 24 month contracts are far too long :(
    Nearly at the end of my current contract though, which is good, but I do wish it would end sooner. Not that the HTC 7 Trophy I own is a bad phone or anything, but it wasn't such a great phone to start off with in the first place, and I would much rather get rid of it now.
    If you guys think a 2 year contract is long, how do you think Canadians feel having to deal with a 3 year commitment?
    Thanked by:
    JacksonSQD likes this.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by germcevoy View Post
    I think the Lumia 920 is safe for a while yet. Nokia don't have the production capacity for another flagship. They can't make enough 920's as it is so it makes no sense to announce a replacement. The Lumia 620 is on it's way and will probably outsell the 920 further bottlenecking production. If you like the 920 then buy it now.
    Chances are the 620 won't be made in value factories like 920, but in volume factories. The difference between the two factory types is in the names.. one type of factory is about making smaller quantity of value, flagship phones, while the other factories (majority of factories) are volume factories and focus on creating larger quantities of lower end phones.

Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    If you guys think a 2 year contract is long, how do you think Canadians feel having to deal with a 3 year commitment?
    Damn, that is far too long for comfort. :/

3yrs is just plain shocking.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

3 years is ridiculous, people already have device anxiety because of 2 year contracts.

No one wants to hear of a new flagship released quickly, but March just happens to be 5 months since the release of the 920 and anyone that thinks the codename "Alfa" device that keeps popping up isn't real is kidding themselves. Nokia's twitter account also mentioned that there are multiple new camera technologies comming out. And the one glaring piece of information is the well known fact that the S4 Pro devices were left out of each manufacture's lineup until 2013.

Having said all that, I believe we will see a 5 inch Lumia in March after MWC. I also believe it will match the specs of the 920 with the S4 Pro comming along and a new Pureview technology. For this go around I think we'll see the S4 Pro's 20 MP camera sensor or a custom 24MP chip used to roll out 3X lossless digital zoom. The dream phone would include OIS and lossless Zoom, but that's more likely next November.

I think we'll also get Stereo Rich Recording in the 5 inch device. These are logical upgrades to round out the product lineup but not upgrades that render the 920 to second class status. If you want the larger screen and optical zoom get the alpa. If you want the awesome night shots and a more managible device, get the 920. Two different customers covering different needs. I think we'll also see the new 7 series devices as well. Nokia needs momentum and whie the 920 is still going strong the mid tier handsets are how the company makes it's money so they need to keep this product range fresh and exciting. Nokia isn't going to MWC with only a tablet in hand. That would be suicide for the stock. They need hits and they're finally getting some momentum with their smartphones.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktay Gardener View Post
    Sounds really fine. I'm just sad that the Windows Phone 8 OS is still nowhere near usable. They could at least fix the big delay with notifications. A notification center later on is a must... :/
    Nowhere near usable? Really? I use it everyday without a problem and so do millions of other people. Why is it nowhere near usable? Because it doesn't have a darn notification center to tell you when Paris Hilton tweets every 39 seconds?

I can't wait until they add notification just so people will stop crying about it. Personally I find it irritating. I got an Android tablet and had to turn a bunch of them off. I really don't need to be bothered every time someone responds to a post on a forum or on Facebook or when a new tweet comes in. Its actually pretty annoying and distracting.
    JW888 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Nowhere near usable? Really? I use it everyday without a problem and so do millions of other people. Why is it nowhere near usable? Because it doesn't have a darn notification center to tell you when Paris Hilton tweets every 39 seconds?

I can't wait until they add notification just so people will stop crying about it. Personally I find it irritating. I got an Android tablet and had to turn a bunch of them off. I really don't need to be bothered every time someone responds to a post on a forum or on Facebook or when a new tweet comes in. Its actually pretty annoying and distracting.
    I agree, if I wanted to check my notifications, I'd rather check them myself rather than being annoyed by push notifications.
    I use WP 7.5 and I have no problems with it (well, aside from not being able to resize tiles.. but oh well.). I really don't understand why some people think the OS is crappy though, apart from the Marketplace.. but if that is the deal-breaker, you have got to be kidding me.
    JW888 likes this.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    What's this trustable source? Verizon employee? Don't trust some high school dropout...
    If there is a Verizon employee who dropped out of high school, he's probably making the most out of any other high school drop out. Most sales reps at the corporate stores $55k+ per year.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    3 years is ridiculous, people already have device anxiety because of 2 year contracts.
    Yeah, it is really odd up here, but it makes the devices really cheap. For example, on a 3 year you get a smartphone for 49.99, 2 year 199.99, 1 year 499.99 and off contract 549.99. The structure is puzzling, but for folks who can't really afford a great device otherwise, a 3 year contract is their only option.
    My next phone...

Crystal... Excuse my ignorance of the Canadian market, but can I clarify the monthly costs too? In UK I genuinely cannot stomach paying for a phone upfront. My 920 costs me 28.50 per month on a 24 month contract. I think that is approximately $45.60. It was also free, with ni upfront costs.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Peachy, is that a normal rate for wireless plans in the UK? What comes with that? ON Verizon my wife and I pay $144 for two lines with unlimited talk and text and 4gb of data...and that's WITH a 20% discount on the main line.

To be fair, the iphone 5 does not qualify for that price, but I would expect every other phone around that price. My allowance is 600mins, unlimited texts and 1GB data. You can get the iphone 5 for approximately 35pm. The plan will also have more of an allowance than mine. You are pay 89.28, but get more of an allowance. Having said that, I am quoting my 3g tarif. 4g is brand new here and commands a higher price.

For me to get the 920 on 3g, unlimited talk and texts and data, I would be looking at approx 40 (with t mobile full monty). They don't allow tethering on that plan though. For 4g, you need to add on more, and there is no unlimited data plan.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Right now in Australia, cheapest deal from Telstra for a L920 is $65/mth for $600 talk + unlimited text and 1GB of data on a 24-month plan. So right now I'd rather wait for Vodafone to hopefully be getting the 920s as well.. since they generally have cheaper deals.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Oh screw that... THREE years??

I can't imagine that. Your phone would be so hopelessly outdated after 3 years and the battery in most phones is pretty worn down after just two years. Sounds like a pretty raw deal if you ask me.

Yes, but it's Canadian years.
    Thanked by:
    ohgood 

Are they like dog years?

Is it the same as half a normal year?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Well it appears Canadian years are just the same as any other year..
    Wasn't able to find anything about it on Bing or Google.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast