Need new phone soon, can't wait much longer

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hay guys, I need your help and opinion here. My galaxy s4 is dying, get worse by the day. Been trying to hold out with it for over a year, hoping for some news of a super new windows phone, like a surface phone. Or a new HP elite that is way better then the current one and 950 put together, but none have come out. Thinking of maybe just getting a lumia 950 xl from amazon for $309.99, this way in case a new windows phone comes out $300 is not that bad of a loss and I can just upgrade to the new phone. I'd be willing to upgrade if something amazing came out, I've been waiting for it, but no word or news it seems. Wanted to get the HP elite, but to much money for a phone witch is going to be used for mainly taking pictures and instagram and text msgs. The camera is a HUGE deal for me. So just a few quick question for you guys I'll list below.

(Note I use no apps, just use my phone to make calls, youtube and facebook via internet browser, texting pictures to my brother who has a iphone, and Instagram, and default weather app, thats it. I don't live on my phone, I don't use apps really, I use my desktop before I go out to find info. No joke instagram is what I do 90% of the time on my phone, and they keep that up to date some time you just gotta wait a month to get the new updates)

1. Should I wait, any new phone or word of new phone coming out within the next 6 months (I don't know if my phone will last that long)?

2. Can I text multi-media with my brother one windows phone to his iphone like I can with my galaxy s4?

3. Is the 950 xl's front facing camera good for selfies? My galaxy s4 really sucks and looks old.

4. Should I buy from windows store (online or in person) or from amazon? Amazon comes with no warranty. Windows stores sells it for $499.99 :/

Links to phones

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-RM...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3643700

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...50-XL--Unlocked%2F8XK963TJBKFL&token=asR76VH1

And that's it really, what do you guys think I should do? I could use my phone until it dies but that wont be much longer until that happens. And yes I'm aware of the current state of windows phone being not even 1% of the market and shrinking, but it seems like Microsoft has got to stay in the phone world weather they wont to or not, so I'm not really worried about the platform dying. Thanks a ton guys.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I suggest that if the $$ isn't too much of an issue, get the 950. You can always sell or use as a wife device, backup, or just sell and get some investment back. However, I've seen L830s, L1320s on Amazon for cheap. I got a new L650 from Cricket for $0.99. They're at $50 now.. but........... Saw an HTC M8 W, Sammy Ativ SE, etc....

I'm waiting too, but I'm good with what I have for at least the next 9mo. Get an "until" phone for now.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
From what you describe, you'll probably be served rather well with a L950. I'm in a similar position, so my thinking now is, $300 isn't a lot of money for a year old flagship device. I just hope that I don't have the problems.

Reason I'm posting is, don't hold your breath for something new. There has been radio silence from MS. Last year they were saying 2017 was going to be concentrating on mobile, but then later in the year, when reports came out that windows phones were <1% of the smartphone market, things got quiet, and we haven't heard anything since. If they keep mum at MS Build, then I'd say the strategy has changed and we probably won't see anything for quite a while.

I think that the way things are going, anything could happen. They could make an announcement that the surface phone will launch this year (I doubt it, but it's possible), they could pull the plug and dump it all, or the most likely thing that will happen is they keep on going as they've been.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I will chime in and recommend the Lumia 650. Pricing hovers around $200... Thr display is only 720p, but the combo of processor, display and battery should serve you well.

It won't be a hardcore gaming or map machine but it sounds like that's not a huge deal for you. I think you will also like the build quality and some of the metal accents on the L650.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
New flagships are going to need the 835 chipset and that's not coming for a while yet (months). A holdover phone makes sense.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply's so fast guys. $300 for a 950 xl is very tempting. If it was sold at that price at the windows store I'd be on it, just no warranty from amazon makes me a little nerves. I don't game on my phone, I saw they have the original DOOM games on the windows app store, those are they only games I would want to try lol. And like I said before I use my computer to do mapping and stuff. I saw HP "may" be working on a new version of the x3 from a few pictures I saw a few weeks ago, but they didn't comment. I think it was something to gauge the market. Microsoft IMO seems to be just trying to perfect the OS for now, push the whole surface phone that can run regular computer programs, but that in the near sight for being released anytime soon. Maybe that's a good thing, wait until they know the surface phone will be a hit right when it comes out.

Hows the 950's xl's front camera for selfies for instragram, and ext? And can I text and get pictures and videos from my brother who has a iphone? Thanks for the help guys! Means a lot.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hows the 950's xl's front camera for selfies for instragram, and ext? And can I text and get pictures and videos from my brother who has a iphone? Thanks for the help guys! Means a lot.

If the 950 xl has the same front camera as the regular 950, it's pretty decent but at night/low light, not so much.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for all the help! Now all I need is to see what the people think would be better on where to buy it from. Maybe I should just go to the store. $200 off is just so tempting. $309 for a damn good flag ship phone.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought one a few weeks ago from the Microsoft Store. Why they are still charging 500 for it is beyond me but I wanted the warranty and the ability to just walk in the store and get service if I have an issue. Phone works flawlessly and it's much nicer than I expected. I was coming from a 1520, the difference in screen size kinda puts me in a great depression but everything else about it is great. Purchased the Mozo black leather back as well.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Some stores have the Elite x3 in stock, but it does appear that all of the Lumia devices have been pulled from the retail stores. I was in one last weekend and can confirm.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all so much for the help. I think you have answered most of my concerns. Really looking forward too getting back into windows phone. So done with android, a OS that I have no need for no matter how many apps they have, same for iphone. Even when I do search the windows app store seems like they have every app I can think of. It's even got the steam app lol. I'll keep you guys updated on when I get it. Thank you all. Please keep thread going if you have more info that you may feel can be helpful.

Albert Metelsky

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by TheHeroFromDOOM
Thanks for all the reply's so fast guys. $300 for a 950 xl is very tempting. If it was sold at that price at the windows store I'd be on it, just no warranty from amazon makes me a little nerves. I don't game on my phone, I saw they have the original DOOM games on the windows app store, those are they only games I would want to try lol. And like I said before I use my computer to do mapping and stuff. I saw HP "may" be working on a new version of the x3 from a few pictures I saw a few weeks ago, but they didn't comment. I think it was something to gauge the market. Microsoft IMO seems to be just trying to perfect the OS for now, push the whole surface phone that can run regular computer programs, but that in the near sight for being released anytime soon. Maybe that's a good thing, wait until they know the surface phone will be a hit right when it comes out.

I bought a Windows phone, 830, on Amazon. When I had an issue with it, took it to a Microsoft store, they replaced it no questions asked. Even if you buy online, it should still have manufacturer warranty.