Flagship vs Hero device

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Reading rumors about the upcoming McLaren release, I keep hearing the terms 'flagship' and 'hero' device being tossed around.

Is there a difference? I have always considered 'flagship' to be the gold standard, current top-of-the-line phone. I haven't heard the term Hero too often, so I'm not sure what to think when I hear something described as a 'Hero device'.

Can anybody clarify for me?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Flagship a Device that has top of the line features and the HEro is the one meant to lead the platform?

Kind of how Gen 1 of WP8.....The 920 was the Signature Hero phone of the time while 8x and Ativ S were the Flagships for their respective OEM?

And Gen 2, presently speaking the 1520 is the Hero device while Icon/930 and SE would be more flagship?

Like I thought Hero Devices usually also get Carrier backing(much like the 920 got with Att when it was released).

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough, I read this in an article comment:

• Flagship - Premium phone with mass appeal
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hero - An "over the top" aspirational device that brings new tech to the market or a "Swiss army knife" device that is extreme in every way[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Wouldn't that categorize the 920 as a flagship device, and something like the 1020 as a Hero device?

Same with the icon and 1520 - Icon likely would have mass appeal, while the 1520 is more specialized as a phablet and would have a niche market?
[/FONT]

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hero > Flagship.

BlueBomber is correct, a Hero device is the device that "restores faith" into whatever it's promoting (Windows Phone OS in this instance) so it'll contain over the top features and hardware to push the ecosystem forward and show what we're capable of. A Flagship will set us in a place where we can be seen and hold down the ecosystem with top of the line features setting a golden standard for high quality phones.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough, I read this in an article comment:

• Flagship - Premium phone with mass appeal
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hero - An "over the top" aspirational device that brings new tech to the market or a "Swiss army knife" device that is extreme in every way[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Wouldn't that categorize the 920 as a flagship device, and something like the 1020 as a Hero device?

Same with the icon and 1520 - Icon likely would have mass appeal, while the 1520 is more specialized as a phablet and would have a niche market?
[/FONT]

Ahh makes sense then :)

So the 930 is our current Gen Flagship(Akin to last gens 920 or 925) where as the 1520 would be Hero(akin to the 1020 last year).
Makes sense.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
usually nokia's hero device combines all their greatest tech into one device...while in flagships something will be missing...

N95 can be considered a hero device..they threw everything they had at that time into it...became a giant success...

N8-another hero device..combining all their best into one...

pureview 808- the best symbian phone..final "hero symbian" ..turned out to be a tragic hero though {not in the quality}

in windows ...i think they made 2 "hero" devices...1020 and 1520{apart from camera,though 42 mp camera in that giant will make it unwieldly}.. the best tech nokia had combined into one...

while we can say flagships ...there will be something missing..
like icon/930..with sd card..glance...,920/925/928...nokia n97...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs