Removed features: What do you miss the most?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
It feels strange to see features in Windows 10 mobile removed, maybe I'm wrong but I think that upgrading should add new features along keeping the existent ones. There are nice new features present in mobile redstone builds, but I still find stuff removed really bad decision. I miss the most FM radio, which was great and have never encountered any bug with that app. People integration for apps like Twitter I also miss to much. There are lots of other stuff that got removed without any clear explanations, yes there are workarounds like using Tunein in case of FM radio, etc. Features like swipe left/right in browser got added just recently while not being present from the start. So what's your opinion of that? Does the introduction of new/old feature really improve the OS while removing old features? What do you miss the most?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't miss the removal of underused features.

I don't miss the removal of features that required an OS update to make changes.

Change is good.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
People blame everyday app gap, but there are 3rd part apps for using features, that's easy.
It's like disappointing because phone first got a ruler inside and then removed

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I miss tab syncing that IE had... opening a link on your pc and being able to access it on your phone or vice versa.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Proper Bluetooth functionality with Groove music. I can't get all my Bluetooth devices to start playing music properly when they connect. I have to open Groove music, wait, and wait, for it remember where it left off in the Now Playing, then press play.

I never had this issue with WP8.1 and the music app.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that they are removing features from mobile because their team needs to focus on desktop. By having as many similar features between desktop/mobile they don't need to spend extra time coding. They simply do desktop and update mobile with it. Unique features need that extra time and if they did merge their developers to do both desktop/mobile then it is slowing down progress on the Desktop side. So they are finding as many features that people are not using much and scalping them out. Problem is that with a tiny market share, you are also likely to get less usage on unique features as well. Hopefully the features they add on Redstone 2 will make up for some of the ones that they have been removing.

Something like "Apps corner" can merge kids corner type features and add even more. This could also work well even on desktop. Say you have a 2-in-1 and you just want to let your kid play with it. You can just enable the feature instead of creating a unique account for your kid and then logging him in. So these features can span across the entire OS.

I'm really hoping they add interactive tiles sometime. At least on some stuff. IOS 10 is already getting to that point with force touch.

Nagesh Boppana

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I miss that too. I don't know why they removed that. :(

I understand that removing unused/appreciated features, but why do they remove such a wonderful photos app. Looks like they have developed new app from scratch. Wish they have brought some old goodness to this app. By the way I like the new photos app too :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand that removing unused/appreciated features, but why do they remove such a wonderful photos app. Looks like they have developed new app from scratch. Wish they have brought some old goodness to this app. By the way I like the new photos app too :)

They use telemetry data to put the grid view of the camera roll at start up as this way photos are a one touch away. They noticed pretty much everyone was going to camera roll first. But unfortunately telemetry data does not include the delight and smiles on peoples faces when they see their favourite moments and memories.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't miss the removal of underused features.

I don't miss the removal of features that required an OS update to make changes.

Change is good.

Change is only good if it's for the better. Some things in W10M are an improvement over previous versions but a whole lot are beyond stupid (UI, circle profile pictures, etc).

Stuff I miss from WP:

People/Games/Pictures/Me hubs

Bright accent colors (the accent colors in W10M are so drab)

No games in the app list (we don't even get an option to filter them out)

Auto-hiding system tray

Swipe right to access camera roll

Smooth turnstile animations (now it looks like Android)

A well designed UI (no clunky hamburger menus)

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

The new photos app is okay too. I just feel that it seems kinda blank when you start it up.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I really miss the Me Tile. It was genuinely great!

You can still save your own number as "Me" and then pin it to the start screen but the square photo with push down animation is what I actually miss. :unhappy:

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
There's a nice free and fast QR scanner in store

Err.. I know of alternatives.

I thought this thread was titled "Removed features : what do you miss the most ?" and not "Removed features : what do you miss the most and alternatives ?"

I was wondering why a good part of the OS was removed. What good is an OS if we need to depend on third party apps for the most basic features ?
They removed the FM radio app, now those who want to listen to FM have to depend on third party apps ??

WTF MSFT ?

Remove the phone and messaging apps as well. Let us depend on third party to provide apps for this crappy OS.

I love Windows 10.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The old Bing News app. Much better, never crashed randomly for me

Native QR code scanner... Why the f* remove this?

Solid black color on the UI, not this weird grey like in the settings menu - feels like I'm using a cheap LCD display. I wish no app would follow this "trend". Black not only look better, it helps save some battery on phones with Oled displays.

Square pictures on contacts and album art. No need to go full iOS on those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb