What are the changes / new features in the Redstone builds?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering is there a place that list the new features and changes that are in the latest Fast ring build (Redstone Branch). I am talking from the current production build. I know each time a build comes out it lists what is different in that build from the previous build, but if someone were to join the fast ring, and had previously only had the production ring, what would be different?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
One can always checkout the Windows Insider blogs to keep a track of what's new, what's broken, etc. Microsoft will post a detailed release note once Anniversary Update goes GA.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...nsider-preview-build-14372-for-pc-and-mobile/

I tried that, but they go from build to build, so it is difficult to understand what the changes are from the last production build to now. The question I have is, for those not on that insider builds, what new features would they get if Microsoft rolled the fast build to production.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried that, but they go from build to build, so it is difficult to understand what the changes are from the last production build to now. The question I have is, for those not on that insider builds, what new features would they get if Microsoft rolled the fast build to production.

Google helps you: there's everything. Scroll down for global changelogs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I separated features from bug fixes and grouped them by area. It looks like for now the new features in Redstone are as follows:

Cortana improvements
Music search button is now accessible from Cortana's main screen
Ability to add reminders from photos and UWP content
Cortana and keyboard voice input are now available in Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Canadian French
Cortana will inform users on PC if their Cortana-enabled mobile device is low on battery
Cortana can share map directions from a Cortana-enabled mobile device to a PC, and vice-versa
Improvements to the share UI for Cortana Reminders
Cortana now supports Office 365 account integration
Get notifications and critical alerts, including messages from messaging services, SMS or social media as well as missed calls from any Windows 10 phone or Android device to your PC
Send a photo from your phone to PC - just ask Cortana "send this photo to my PC"
New listening animation

Edge
Word Flow now works in the address bar of Edge
Added a button to open an InPrivate tab in the tab view of Edge
Added a menu item to close only InPrivate tabs
Added a download manager to Edge and improved prompts to save or cancel downloads
Increased the size of the close button of tabs in Edge
Users no longer need to open the context menu for copy/paste operations
Tabs opened by other apps now close with the back button
Swipe navigation in Microsoft Edge. Swipe from anywhere on the page to get back to your previous page.
Apps for websites, to redirect certain websites to open with an app instead.

Skype and messaging
The ability to attach photos, videos, location, contact, voice note, or ringtone to Skype messages in the Messaging + Skype app
Skype "Mojis" added to Messaging + Skype app
Skype integration in Microsoft Messaging has been removed
"Messaging everywhere" feature which enables users to send and receive text messages from a PC with the same Microsoft account
Swipe left to delete text messages and an "undo" button to recover accidentally removed messages

Maps
One-tap access to search and directions from anywhere
Multiple searches and directions are layered on top of each other and user can view them simultaneously or switch between them
User can now minimize search results, directions, and location info to view only the map
User can see labels for search results directly on the map instead of having numbers to match between the map and the list
Cortana can now give turn-by-turn directions
Improved the logic for nearby searches
Added the ability to search in the 3D cities list
User can now access their favorites offline and add notes to them,
Updated the turn-by-turn design to improve glanceability and landscape layout

Phone
Support for Visual Voicemail on Dual-SIM devices
Added missed call and voicemail waiting indicators to tabs in Phone app

Start and lock screen
Live tiles now refresh all at once rather than one at a time
Live tile badge and content updates will appear at the same time
Apps will now launch faster from Start if incoming Live tile updates occur at the same time
Camera button replaces the back button on the Lock screen
Media controls are now shown on the top portion of the lock screen

Outlook Mail and Calendar
Added ability to turn off message preview text
Added "Move to Junk" option in context menu
Added "I'll be late" button in meeting notifications

Alarms
Alarm & Clock app introduces a new inline time picker and improved design for creating and editing alarms and timers

Action Center
Visual changes to Action Center and notifications
Updated Cortana notifications
Priority levels can now be set for app notifications in the Action Center
Quick Actions can be better customized now

Settings app
Icons for individual settings pages
New "Navigation Bar" settings page
New "Glance Screen" settings page
Battery usage and battery saver are now on a "Battery" Settings page, with extended features for managing individual apps
Windows Update now has an "Active hours" setting that prevents automatic restarts during the set time

Store
App update notifications have returned

Feedback Hub
The Insider Hub and Windows Feedback apps are replaced by a single app which is called the Feedback Hub in this build
Ability to comment in the Feedback Hub

Other
Updated emoji design
USB Ethernet adapter Support with Continuum
Wi-Fi Hotspot 2.0 which allows users to move between hotspots without requiring them to re-authenticate every time
Users can now abort an auto correction by tapping on the word that is to be autocorrected
Windows Insider app is no longer required. User may switch builds from a new page in the Settings app
Added the ability to reset the data of an app in case of corruption
Auto Brightness is now default on supported phones after hard-resets
User can now choose how frequently he/she should be asked for Windows Hello authentication
Pressing and holding the camera button on the action center will now launch the Camera app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss