Access C: root of Windows 10 Mobile from File Explorer

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
These are the two methods I've found to access C: drive in Windows 10 Mobile.

Method 1: Using Search

1 - Open "File Explorer"

2nqffhe.png

2 - From the hamburguer menu, choose "This Device", and make a search for some file (or folder) that exists in one of the available folders of the phone.It could be a video, for example, or even one of the available folders (i.e.: "Videos", "Music", etc...).Just make sure that the file has a short name:

2czsck3.png

3 - When the phone returns some results, hold your finger over one of the files, and select "Properties":

2qvrubp.png

4 - At the top of Properties page, click on "MainOS (C:)":

2ikcm1i.png

After that, you should be taken to the C: drive.

1zwlz7c.png

Method 2: Using a Windows PC shortcut file (needs PC)

1 - In your Windows PC, create a shortcut to the C: drive anywhere:

11jcar4.png

2 - Plug your phone to your PC, and copy that shortcut to the phone's storage root:

w6zgd0.png

3 - In the phone, open "File Explorer" app, and from the hamburguer menu, choose "This Device".You should see the shortcut there:

2v2h9jm.png

4 - Click on the shortcut, and your're done.You will then be taken to the root of C: drive:

1zwlz7c.png

Tip: applications folders are located at C:\Data\PROGRAMS

2ntfoxv.png

Best regards

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Question is are they addressable ?
can they be moved / deleted?
edited??

e.g. you d/l the next Win10 upgrade, accidently (you're looking for GDR2) can you then delete that upgrade file (& avoid the auto install looming) from the C: drive (or wherever it may be hiding)?

Could you rename Instagram to ... ?

Might be fun experimenting. I wanna get into the registry!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
this is referring to 10, not 8.1 as you might believe. (one would already be on 10 to use this trick.)

Yeah, just an example, but I wonder if the files are able to be addressed (or simply viewed).

Experimenting NOW ...

Last edited:

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Question is are they addressable ?
can they be moved / deleted?
edited??

e.g. you d/l the next Win10 upgrade, accidently (you're looking for GDR2) can you then delete that upgrade file (& avoid the auto install looming) from the C: drive (or wherever it may be hiding)?

Could you rename Instagram to ... ?

Unfortunatelly...No.

I don't know if some other folder or file is editable, or all files and folders are just read-only.

Maybe it's not only NTFS permissions ruling the lock....

If applications' folders were writable, we could at least backup app data.It was one of the first things I thought after going into C: ....

At least we can copy the files to another location to see their content.This is a great thing for such a restricted file system.

Best regards

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Interesting stuff.

Log files confirm my test 635 did have a codename MoneyPenny. Which was what leakers called it prior to release.

WINBIOPLUGS:
IRIS Engine... :)

Sounds like an eye unlock is coming.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting stuff.

Log files confirm my test 635 did have a codename MoneyPenny. Which was what leakers called it prior to release.

WINBIOPLUGS:
IRIS Engine... :)

Sounds like an eye unlock is coming.

Yes, windows hello, its been announced by Microsoft already and covered on windows central.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, windows hello, its been announced by Microsoft already and covered on windows central.

Windows Hello uses infra-red stereo cameras to do facial recognition.

The Iris is the eye. I.e. retina. Of course this could simply be badly named facial recognition... time will tell.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's the million dollar question: Can it be written to? Like, could we use custom host files for system-wide ad blocking & stuff like that? Because that would be amazing.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's the million dollar question: Can it be written to? Like, could we use custom host files for system-wide ad blocking & stuff like that? Because that would be amazing.

As alb3530 already said - unfortunately no.
Atleast not yet. There might be a way to change the premissions, but we don't know it.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
As alb3530 already said - unfortunately no.
Atleast not yet. There might be a way to change the premissions, but we don't know it.

I personally think its possible now, I just cant find a way to do it. I was able to copy the phone's host file to my PC. I was going to edit it (which I did), then write it back to the C: (its already copied to the phone's Documents folder). The problem is the app doesn't open the phone's C: shortcut after you tell it to "copy to" or "move to". The new Files app also doesn't have the option to just do a plain old "copy" function of a file. that way you could just copy then navigate to the proper folder on C:.

I believe if we could either find a way to access the phone's C: from a PC, or sideload a custom app to the phone that would give us write access, it may work. This is all speculation of course. Right now mounting the phone to a PC then choosing the phone's C: shortcut in the folder structure does nothing. I'm betting there's a way.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Any way to know what app each folder for? Would be interesting to delete those "hung" apps and then you could re-install if would work.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Any way to know what app each folder for? Would be interesting to delete those "hung" apps and then you could re-install if would work.

C:\Data\PROGRAMS. From there its just a bunch of number/letter strings w no app names, but you can go into each & check icons & stuff like that to know what app it is exactly. Make a note of the app string name, then go back & you can delete it from there.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like we need some way to be granted admin access (like on a PC) or else we cant write to C:. So basically someone needs to write a root granting app, like SuperSU or Superuser on Android.

All of the folders arrangement seemed strikingly similar to system folders on a Windows PC. In the case of PC you need admin access to change/ rename or delete a file from system folders. But in the case windows phone user is considered as public not admin( i was judging it from the path of 'This Device' folder which is MainOS>Data>Users>Public ) here Microsoft will be the admin.

You can get access to System files in Windows 10 Mobile Due to a bug in file explorer - Windows Hive

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
C:\Data\PROGRAMS. From there its just a bunch of number/letter strings w no app names, but you can go into each & check icons & stuff like that to know what app it is exactly. Make a note of the app string name, then go back & you can delete it from there.

I tested and was able to delete one app that was installed correctly but on one that was not working it seemed I didn't have permission to delete. No way to change permissions I can see. Too bad can't access from pc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3