Windows 10 mobile release date please... It's already December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Why blame the carriers? IF there is a RTM then we should have it available on the insider program, right? But I don't see any of that showing up to insiders yet. And why would MSFT hold it back (to insiders) when it is available already? For sure there is a delay due to carrier approval and rollout but you can bypass that if you become an insider. But the carriers cannot test, approve and rollout something that does not even exist.
More likely we will see the older Lumias stuck in insiders-only status forever with slowly dripping updates fixing some bugs. But no new features or device specific firmware anymore. I doubt 950 / 950XL will receive more attention. If MSFT already dare to release the flagship phones with a flaky preview build that literally needs a hardreset out of the box we know where we are. Too bad if you activated bitlocker prior to the hardreset :grin:
More effort will be put in a Surface phone, x86-based, running a "normal" Windows with some GUI modifications. I think we are riding a dead horse now with our Lumias.

brettmilden

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: It's already December! How long until Windows 10 Mobile arrives on my "Windows 10 ready" Lumia 6

Insider program on my Lumina Icon still has difficulties
1. Ms Maps don't open
2. Here Drive gone
3. Lumina Camera gone
4. MS Camera poor quality and no close focus (compared to Lumin aCmaera
5. Cortana doesn't work

Otherwise I like W10M preview

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: It's already December! How long until Windows 10 Mobile arrives on my "Windows 10 ready" Lumia 6

It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices. If you have a direct from MS unbranded version, MS will control it. Otherwise, your carrier will.

ATT is THE WORST carrier, literally in the world, for releasing the updates. On the 830, it was ATT and one local carrier in South America who were in a race to be last to update to Denim. They were 6 months behind every other North American carrier.

Use the Preview program - it is the exact same software now on the 950.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded one of my two son's 640s last night. Seemed to go well, until I couldn't get his e-mail, contacts, and calendar to sync. Keeps asking me to "Add an Account" - even though in the Phone Settings his account is already linked to the phone. He can log into OneDrive, Maps, Groove - everything that requires an account on the phone - just not the important stuff.

Is there a way to reinstall JUST the Outlook/People/Calendar apps? You can't Uninstall it. Interestingly - his People tile has all the pictures of his contacts in the circles, but they don't show up when you open the app.

I found this thread which seems to be related, BUT I don't want to have to Hard Reset his phone if I don't have to because of games that don't upload your progress status to the Cloud:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...calendar-windows-10-mobile-build-10572-a.html

I don't want to upgrade my other kids' W8.1 phones until I know there's a fix for this...

Advice?

ENV

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I feel badly - I don't know. I will see what I can research - I didn't have that issue. W10 does give you an option to backup game status and data. You may want to do that, just in case.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel badly - I don't know. I will see what I can research - I didn't have that issue. W10 does give you an option to backup game status and data. You may want to do that, just in case.

Don't feel bad - I knew the risks. Luckily my son said he's OK with a reset if necessary.

Does anyone know if I do a reset from the Settings menu - will that take me back to the 640 factory default and WP8.1, or just back to WP10 with a wiped profile?

Is there a way to do just that - wipe the profile and start fresh but already at WP10?

ENV

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Don't feel bad - I knew the risks. Luckily my son said he's OK with a reset if necessary.

Does anyone know if I do a reset from the Settings menu - will that take me back to the 640 factory default and WP8.1, or just back to WP10 with a wiped profile?

Is there a way to do just that - wipe the profile and start fresh but already at WP10?

ENV

With the reset from the settings menu you wipe the profile and start fresh with W10.
(And during the fresh setup you could restore a backup)

Good luck

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You would have to use the Windows Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1.

A factory reset may fix your issues though on W10. Some people need to do that for some reason. You can back up all of the apps, photos, and texts to the cloud first though.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Success. Well, sort of. I did a reset from the Settings menu which wiped the phone but kept it at WP10.

Restored from a backup and immediately downloaded updates for the "key" apps (Outlook, Calendar, People, Skype, OneDrive, anything that used the MS Phone Account). It did bring back the general profile, and mail, calendar, and contacts WORK properly now. But settings and progress for games that don't save to the Cloud were all lost.

Lessons learned, and going to try upgrading my other son's 640 now too.

ENV

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
#&$%@?!?

Same damn thing on second 640 upgrade. All apps restore, all game statuses keep - it's just the damn Outlook, Calendar, and People apps won't log into the Hotmail account that's on the phone.

I really, really DON'T want to have to refresh this like the first phone, and lose everything that doesn't save to the Cloud.

Any thoughts on how I can reinstall JUST the Outlook, Calendar, and People apps?

ENV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss