MS store

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I went to local MS store. While waiting , was chatting with 3 employees.

I noticed each had an iPhone! I brought this up and one smugly said that all MS services worked on iOS.
Not only is w10m dead but it is buried

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
There is no doubt that windows mobile the way we know it is "dead". It is the sad reality right now. But anyone who has ever used a windows phone knows it was always a losing battle to engage with Android and iOS on their terms. It was a pain to switch to windows phones for most people due to a complete change in ecosystem and app gap.
Now Microsoft is focused not on phone market share but on exposing more people to it's mobile products, be it on any platform. They want people to be invested enough in Microsoft ecosystem that switching to the next big windows mobile device will be painless. This is why many MS apps on Android and iOS are more functional than their windows counterparts and thru are making deals with OEMs to ship MS apps by default.
Adding continuum and windows on ARM on top makes new windows devices more appealing than the same boring alternatives, yet with the familiar MS ecosystem people may already use.
It might feel like windows phone is dying, but it's just a step towards the long term success that Microsoft is planning. Microsoft wants people to use it's apps, no matter what the device, but with the best experience will be available on the windows phones they are still developing. The idea is exciting and strategy is sound, but only proper execution will decide if it succeeds.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They have iphones and androids in store showing off office on them.

It's ok, the more microsoft becomes a household name, the better for them anyhow, like if people prefer microsoft apps as opposed to others.

Keeping the dream alive :) As long as windows mobile devices are still around they are successful enough :) People are too hung up on hardware market share... wonder what the software market share is, though it might be hard to find the right comparables

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

It's ok, the more microsoft becomes a household name, the better for them anyhow, like if people prefer microsoft apps as opposed to others.

Keeping the dream alive :) As long as windows mobile devices are still around they are successful enough :) People are too hung up on hardware market share... wonder what the software market share is, though it might be hard to find the right comparables

The only phone they had displayed in the entire store was the HP Elite. the only hope is that Surface Mobile Device is "attractive enough" to compete with/beat the iPhone 8. I for one will be switching to iPhone 8 if Surface isnt a game changer...after going back to the Pocket PC Ipaq days, that's a big deal.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, a LOT of people use and prefer Outlook on iOS, and it is one of the best email apps on that platform. It's always part of a best of list.

The Android one is ok but I love the iOS app. So good. For me, provided that MS aces their services, I'm down to using the ones that work for me.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The only phone they had displayed in the entire store was the HP Elite. the only hope is that Surface Mobile Device is "attractive enough" to compete with/beat the iPhone 8. I for one will be switching to iPhone 8 if Surface isnt a game changer...after going back to the Pocket PC Ipaq days, that's a big deal.

We shouldn't be so tied to brands anyways and really focus on what works for each of our needs, so what's "attractive enough" is very subjective.

Nokia started it all for me leading the way with camera technology on phones. I wanted one device to carry around for phone and pictures back then. Omg the N95 was a dream, I spent $850 cad to import that in lol. Wait screw that, I had a nokia 6100, with Camera headset attachment!!

nokia_camera-HS-1C.jpg

So my need first was camera and Nokia kept leading the way.

Sure everyone's caught up, but I'm not interested in iPhone cult status and pricing (even though I do spend that kind of money on a phone) and Android I find messy.

So I'm comfortable with windows and don't feel the need that someone needs to be winning or beating but just provide us great devices and options :)

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
We shouldn't be so tied to brands anyways and really focus on what works for each of our needs, so what's "attractive enough" is very subjective.

Nokia started it all for me leading the way with camera technology on phones. I wanted one device to carry around for phone and pictures back then. Omg the N95 was a dream, I spent $850 cad to import that in lol. Wait screw that, I had a nokia 6100, with Camera headset attachment!!

View attachment 133892

So my need first was camera and Nokia kept leading the way.

Sure everyone's caught up, but I'm not interested in iPhone cult status and pricing (even though I do spend that kind of money on a phone) and Android I find messy.

So I'm comfortable with windows and don't feel the need that someone needs to be winning or beating but just provide us great devices and options :)

Not being tied to brands per se.

I just want an awesome phone, and it will be either Surface or iPhone 8 for me

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I think we can all agree though that Microsoft deserves a HUGE "Thank you!" from our community. After all, if it wasn't for all of us still successfully using a Windows 10 Mobile device that still receives updates, where would you find forums with "Windows 10 Mobile" sections in which to start YET ANOTHER "Windows 10 Mobile is dead and buried" thread?

We'd be lost, wouldn't we?

I wish I received a penny for every "windows is dead" thread here. I'd be able to buy an overpriced iPhone ;-)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think we can all agree though that Microsoft deserves a HUGE "Thank you!" from our community. After all, if it wasn't for all of us still successfully using a Windows 10 Mobile device that still receives updates, where would you find forums with "Windows 10 Mobile" sections in which to start YET ANOTHER "Windows 10 Mobile is dead and buried" thread?

I wish I received a penny for every "windows is dead" thread here. I'd be able to buy an overpriced iPhone ;-)

To be fair, a lot of tech blogs believe this too so it's more so just repeating the same thing they hear and see.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Well seeing MS employees at the MS store flaunting iphones smugly was shocking!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess, they couldn't find any W10 phone to buy either!!! LOL.
Actually that scenario happens elsewhere too. Samsung sales person using a Huawei/Oppo/Asus, etc... I posted in a another thread, when I bought 1520, from the corner of my eye, i caught the girl behind the counter giving an "stupid fella bought a Lumia" look...

.... !!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ha! Here's another W10M is dead thread! How exciting! /s

I'll just leave a very relevant quote here from my favorite TV series, Game of Thrones;

"What is dead may never die,"

'Nuff said.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Ha! Here's another W10M is dead thread! How exciting! /s

I'll just leave a very relevant quote here from my favorite TV series, Game of Thrones;

"What is dead may never die,"

'Nuff said.
The point of this thread was to note surprise of MS employees using iPhones in the MS store, which is a relatively new development. If you don't like this type of thread, move on.

Last edited:

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Given the current state of win 10 mobile, I wasn't totally surprised to find no one at the Microsoft Kiosk was using windows phones when I purchased my 950XL on sale in Dec 2016. But they were helpful and great to deal with "no bad attitude". ;-)

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The point of this thread was to note surprise of MS employees using iPhones in the MS store, which is a relatively new development. If you don't like this type of thread, move on.

The post concluded with: "Not only is w10m dead but it is buried "

This "type of thread" would probably be better labeled if the label reflected what was in it. Some people (me, and it appears others as well) find it a bit tiring to look into threads with vague titles like "MS Store" only to find yet another poster stating that Windows 10 Mobile is "dead" or even "buried".

So much negativity. Gets on some of us' nerves.

As for whether or not it was surprising: Well, I can't argue it wasn't, because it's all based personal expectations. I personally don't expect an employee to sport the phone of the parent company when they're working in retail, if said phone has only a fraction of the market. Microsoft wants to make more money by selling different services and experiences and by being more device-agnostic in a sense, so it's absolutely logical to me for them to show off how their software/services can work on the devices that have the vast majority market share. Completely logical.

So, no, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone walking around with an iPhone in an MS store. But I can understand that some people don't view that the way I do so they would be surprised. That's fine too.

But like I said, the "windows mobile is dead" mantra is getting pretty tiresome, and there are plenty of existing threads to repeat it in.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
........the best experience will be available on the windows phones they are still developing.......
that is the real problem. As you said, success depends on proper execution, but if they come up with a so called ground breaking phone giving you same experience in 2018 what some of their competitors giving today, that would add to just another failure.

BTW, MS Store near me doesnt even have a phone on display apart from HP one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon