Stop Insider Builds

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Right here goes.

I have an Acer Iconia W3-810 and I've been running the Windows 10 Insider Preview on it. I did a clean install, removing Windows 8.1.

However, I want to stop receiving Insider Builds as I am on 10240. I know how to get off these builds, but I wanted to know the consequences of doing so.

Would I have to revert back to Windows 8 and upgrade all over again or can I activate Windows 10 using the product key saved in my UEFI from when I had Windows 8 preinstalled on my device when I first got it?

Many thanks :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You're in luck! There are no consequences :wink:

Just be sure that "automatic updates" is turned on, and you're good to go. Not getting off the Insider program is the option that will have consequences, because MS will continue to release pre-release software through that channel.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure about that, a5cent? I'd heard that if you did a clean install of the Insider/TP builds, your key was good as long as you remain on the Insider program. Did that get changed somewhere?

If not, then the OP may be asked to provide a key for the previous Windows install or else have to reinstall the RTM build via ISO/USB tool.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my Windows installation key from my BIOS using a tool called ProduKey! I think I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, I'll reinstall the Insider Preview!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that, a5cent? I'd heard that if you did a clean install of the Insider/TP builds, your key was good as long as you remain on the Insider program. Did that get changed somewhere?

If not, then the OP may be asked to provide a key for the previous Windows install or else have to reinstall the RTM build via ISO/USB tool.

Yes, you're right. I skimmed over the post too quickly. Sorry Ryan.

I think the basic premise of my answer is still correct though. There are no consequences, or at least no immediate consequences. Ryan's insider preview installation is basically an unlicensed version of Windows that will eventually expire, although I have no idea when. If you opt out of the IP program you'll just stop getting previews and only get the regular updates like everyone else.

I've never seen or read that opting out of the IP program will cause Windows to ask for validation of anything. Even if it did, having the W8.x license key on hand is pretty much useless.

Ensuring a W10 installation is genuine and legally licensed requires a valid W10 license key. You get that by either purchasing a W10 license, or by upgrading your existing W7 or W8.x license key. The later is only possible as part of the in-place upgrade process.

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
So if i stay in the insider program, I will be activated? Because I did a clean install from build 10130 and now I'm unactivated, 8.1 OEM key doesn't work.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As always...

you must have gone through the online in-place upgrade process from W7 or W8.x at least once. Failing that, your installation will never be activated.

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
As always...

you must have gone through the online in-place upgrade process from W7 or W8.x at least once. Failing that, your installation will never be activated.

But i have done an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to build xxxxx and then all the way to build 10130, and then i did clean install to windows 10 home (rtm) , so why doesn't ms recognize that?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why can't ms activate it? I had official 8.1 and even was part of insider program for almost a year

I have absolutely no idea...

I'm starting to come to grips with how it all ties together, but it's way to convoluted and not very user friendly...

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I just got email from Microsoft saying that if you're experiencing error 0xC004C003 with activation, you should wait 24 hours and windows will be activated automatically!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got email from Microsoft saying that if you're experiencing error 0xC004C003 with activation, you should wait 24 hours and windows will be activated automatically!

I saw that you edited your post #8 after I had responded to it. Since you apparently did do an in-place upgrade, I think you have good chances that it will activate later on. That's how it's supposed to work anyway.

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I saw that you edited your post #8 after I had responded to it. Since you apparently did do an in-place upgrade, I think you have good chances that it will activate later on. That's how it's supposed to work anyway.

Yeah, we'll see in a few days when they get this sorted out. Thanks for your answers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05