What would you do?

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded the tool from Microsoft yesterday to hide updates... I run it often to see if there are updates in queue for me and have found a few yesterday and a couple today. They all seem to be drivers or something for my laptop hardware and because my system is running good right now I am a bit nervous to download anything that may mess it up. These updates would usually show in the "optional" section of updates in the 8.1 platform. I have hidden them all (about eight total) I did not have these updates before Windows 10 upgrade, so I know they are new for the system, but if all is running well shouldn't I just leave well enough alone? What would you do?

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
That's my thought... I hate the fact that Microsoft can download anything they want without giving the user a chance to see what's going on. I hope they return the feature in windows update for us to choose what we want updated.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There are times when all seems to be running well, and new drivers are released to fix bugs in a previous driver that you may not have personally encountered, but others may have. They can also introduce better compatibility with a new operating system. Likely, many manufacturers are still trying to make final fixes to their drivers for full Windows 10 compatibility.

Also, drivers can sometimes introduce new features. For example, new drivers on my laptop now give me the needed access to DirectX 12, which the driver has to support. Even if Windows 10 does DirectX 12 out of the box, you have to have graphics hardware capable and with the correct driver in order to use it.

Unfortunately, new drivers can also mean introducing new bugs. For me, if everything is working well for now, I'd hold off on driver updates for about another month and let the manufacturers finish getting all the kinks worked out, especially if a particular manufacturer seems to be pushing out an update every few days, as that is a likely sign that they keep pushing it out before they found all the bugs.

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Good point... I did notice that a couple of the updates are for the same hardware so your advice on waiting a month is good to note. Thank you for your input.

Wryman

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I would download them. There are lots of bugs out there and I've run into some of them. Don't take a chance on one of the bugs messing things up.

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I would download them. There are lots of bugs out there and I've run into some of them. Don't take a chance on one of the bugs messing things up.
I will download patches as they are available, just leery on drivers when my system is working perfectly. I always have the option to take them out of hiding and install them, but like another poster suggested waiting a bit so I don't download any drivers that are being pushed in a hurry without them being tested and bug free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon