How many operating systems can you put on one computer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how many operating systems can you put on one computer?

How many versions of windows can be put on one computer?
Not dual booting, just on a hard drive,but including windows 1.0- windows 7. Will any conflict with one another?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how many operating systems can you put on one computer?

Are you simply talking about file storage? You say, "Not dual booting, just on a hard drive" as if you just want to store .ISO images?

In the case of just building an archive it is only limited by storage space on the hard drive. You fail to mention any system capacities so any answers must be generic. If you want any/all of these to boot it is a whole different kettle of fish than building a vault to store Installable images.

Could you join the site and reply in this thread for clarification if your questions have not been answered?

For instance, what is your end desire for this project? What are the hardware parameters?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Depends on your computer.

Systems that rely on a master boot record (MBR) can have up to 4 partitions.
Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Systems that use the GUID can have up to 128 partitions.
GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've done two partitions on my computer (which is likely MBR as many are) but I don't remember how off hand. It's not hard though.
At one time, I was triple booting Windows 7, Linux Mint and openSUSE.

To the OP, if you're running both Linux and Windows, you need to install Windows first, then shrink the Windows partition prior to installing Linux on a new partition.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what the limit is, but I am currently triple booting Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Linux Mint on my laptop. I used EasyBCD to include Linux in the Windows 8.1 bootloader, since I like its looks the best! :wink:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought a key for Widows 8.1 and the seller told me I needed to have Windows 8.1 installed for the key to be able to be activated.

But I'm on Windows 10 preview and I don't want to get rid of it. I bought a windows 8.1 key so I can get the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it launches.

So, I would like to know how to make this dual boot for Windows 8.1 and 10. I also have Ubuntu as dual boot but it's lacking the drivers for my wifi card so the internet is really slow. So I want to get rid of Ubuntu for now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I bought a key for Widows 8.1 and the seller told me I needed to have Windows 8.1 installed for the key to be able to be activated.

But I'm on Windows 10 preview and I don't want to get rid of it. I bought a windows 8.1 key so I can get the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it launches.

So, I would like to know how to make this dual boot for Windows 8.1 and 10. I also have Ubuntu as dual boot but it's lacking the drivers for my wifi card so the internet is really slow. So I want to get rid of Ubuntu for now.
That's complicated. If you are running Grub2 and Ubuntu and want to remove Ubuntu and Grub2, you'll need to repair MBR if you remove Ubuntu and Grub2. https://social.technet.microsoft.co...move-grub-and-repair-mbr?forum=w7itproinstall

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

You bought a key but no o/s?

Before doing anything, best make a back up of your files.

Simple, just open up disk management and format the ubuntu partition as you stated you want to get rid of it and install Windows 8.1 on that. Then when Windows 10 launches, upgrade your windows 8.1 install presuming you still want to dual boot with the tech preview.

Or just simply reformat you hard drive, install windows 8.1 and upgrade to windows 10 in case you change your mind and don't want the tech preview any longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani