Windows 10 Installation Unknown Error C1900101-40017, how can I get past this problem?

dbathonian

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Installation Unknown Error C1900101-40017

I have tried to download and install Windows 10 quite a few times. It freezes at the point where it has completed 75% of the installation and I think it is just about to 'Restart' once again to go into the final 'Settings' phase. The only way to get out of this that I've found is to power the machine off and then back on again, the system tries to recover the installation and then the previous version of Windows is restored. The unknown error C1900101-40017 is reported in Windows Update on each occasion. Any ideas as to how to overcome this problem would be welcome, thanks

piotr5301

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Installation Unknown Error C1900101-40017

And me too!!!
It is so frustrating :-((
Will you please let me know if you solve that?

dbathonian

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

Looking around on this forum and elsewhere, and talking to neighbours, I think there are a lot of problems with this upgrade. I intend to stand back for a while, I'm very lucky that my previous version of Windows has been restored on each occasion the upgrade has failed. And something odd happened this morning - when I turned on my laptop first thing this morning the Microsoft logo appeared on the screen and then my 'Registry' was updated before the normal 'Starting Windows' message appeared. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Peddler931

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Same problem here. I was trying to upgrade an Acer Aspire All-in-One from Windows 7 Home Premium. It sticks on the Acer splash screen but with enough manual shut-downs, eventually reverts to Win7.

Larry Degelman

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Well, add me to the list. I have five computers that I've already upgraded to Windows 10 - two HP's (from Win 8.1), one Dell (from Win 7), one Eee netbook (from Win 8.1), and one Insignia Tablet (from Win 8.1). Fine so far. The sixth computer I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 is an HP laptop with Win 7. The aforementioned error that dbathonian described on the second boot with error code C1900101-40017 has happened to me on four different attempts. Using the ISO installation also yielded the same error. Fortunately, it has always successfully reverted back to the Windows 7 OS. I'd really like to get a solution to this before the upgrade period expires. Thanks to anyone who has a solution to this problem.

Last edited:

Peddler931

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

I tried using the Media Creation Tool as opposed to Window Update on my Acer all-in-one. I got exactly the same results, with the reboots hanging up at the Acer splash screen. My Lenovo Yoga notebook upgraded in less than an hour with no problems.

Last edited:

Allan Benton

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Add me to the list. I contacted MS online & actually had a tech remote my PC & tried to fix on a number of occasions. No result. Still refuses to load. Last tech told me that I needed to purchase a full copy of 10 for $170 & this would fix the problem. I told him to disconnect the 10 update & will not be utilising it.

dbathonian

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

I tried to download Windows 10 again yesterday with the same result - failure! And just in case there is a common theme (?) I am currently running Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP Pavilion G72 Laptop.Has anyone got any ideas?

Peddler931

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

I am monitoring this thread, another on answers.microsoft and on HP's forum. Sorry, I can't leave links as I am new to this forum but if you search on the error code, you will find it. So far, nothing except a suggestion of a clean install, which means backing up everything, ensuring you have all of your product keys, and starting from scratch - a weekend you will never get back - if it works. Windows 7 is working OK so I will wait for a Windows Update solution.

hoorakhsh haghgoo

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

I Have this problem too...holy crap....i have pc and use W7 ultimate ....:(( i will never get windows 10.... i know .....5 times i try....nothing

Rod Lee1

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Add me to the list too. Very frustrating. I have a Gateway all in one with windows 7.

Tim Metz

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Gateway All-In-One running Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried Upgrading to Windows 10 every time I get the prompt. Mine takes about 3 hours for everything (I have the $14.99 internet from TWC), only to say that the installation failed. Then the computer goes to a black screen with no cursor. I have to hold in the power button to shut it down. When I reboot, the computer then re-installs Windows 7. I've tried this about 5 times now and it's very frustrating and a huge waste of time. I guess I'm a little to anxious for my own good :)..... I always end up with the error code C1900101-40017. I've tried running a program to clean up the registry but that doesn't help. If anyone ever gets a fix for this, hopefully they will let us all know.
Thanks

Rod Lee1

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the same Gateway all-in-one running on windows 7 too. I tried 4 times. The last time I unplugged all my peripherials and it still hung up at the same place (75% complete). I forced powered it down it tried to continue with the installation, going to the settings step but froze at 10% complete for over an hour. Powered it down again to force it to fall back to Windows 7. Think I'll stay with it until Microsoft comes up with a solution (if ever) or when I decide to get a new PC.

Peddler931

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Success! I got a reply from Microsoft support. I unplugged everything but the keyboard and mouse, disabled Windows Security Essentials, and once the update was downloaded, disabled the network devices. It did not go smoothly; it hung up several times, but in the end, it worked.

nelami48

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem with HP Pavilion DV6 laptop. Tried 8 times to upgrade from Win 7 Pro without success using the Creation Tool to generate a USB version. On the 9th attempt I tried something different.
1. Disabled WiFi & disconnected the Ethernet cable so that laptop was completely isolated from network.
2. Declined the "Download Critical Updates" that I had accepted previously.

SUCCESS - the critical updates were subsequently automatically installed when I rebooted following the upgrade.

Last edited:

chonie85

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I was able to fix that very same issue today.

What i did was the following:

- Downloaded the win10 iso and burned it to a dvd.
- Started the win10 setup and waited for the bluescreen to happen
- when the PC reboots, enter bios setup and change boot sequence to start with your dvd drive
- insert burned win10 setup cd and wait for it to be loaded
- choose "repair pc" which triggers a kind of auto repair
- in my case the PC restartet after a split second
- remove the cd / alter boot sequence in bios
- wait for win10 setup to continue
- for me it completed without further errors

I hope this helps somebody!!!

Rod Lee1

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
After about 9 tries I finally got it to install...kinda. The culprit was One Drive. Delete it from your program folder and reboot. Then try the install again. What happened it got to the usual spot where it was about 71% complete (total) and 91% complete installing the drivers. It then paused and went to 100% complete for the drivers and went to a reboot. I waited for about 10 minutes but nothing happened (my cursor was available) so I just turned the PC off and on and installation took off again, completing the configuration step. After trying out windows 10, I reverted back to Windows 7. Windows 10 was way too slow and I found it difficult to navigate thru the various panels. Also, I found out the hard way that my sound card wasn't compatible with 10 (it just wouldn't recognize it, hence, no sound.) I'll stick with Windows 7, thank you!:angry:

Raphael Rippinger

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
After getting the nag screens telling me upgrade to Win 10 instead of keeping my well running Win 7 up to date I finally decided last night to quit working and let the "upgrade" run. I sat there from 22:00 to 02:30 this morning "watching" my Digital Audio Workstation restart a number of times until I was tired and went to sleep...

This morning after a few nightmares of how my Workstation would not work anymore I checked and I saw the Win 7 login screen. I logged in went to the Win 10 nag screen and it told me that Win 10 could not be installed because of an unknown error... but it continued telling me I should upgrade to Win 10 for free.

For free?

Do the Windows people think I am stupid? I mean, I was stupid enough to fall for Win Vista in 2007 instead of Windows XP... that cost me a lot of money and time already then.

If they so desperately want me to switch operating systems, why do they lie and pretend that my DAW is compatible?

It's like telling someone, who depends on good health, to jump of a cliff and telling him "yes, you can fly, you body is fully compatible. And... it's free!"

Today I am tired and miserable and seriously considering switching to Linux for good...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes