Clean install of Windows 10 lost activation, how can I activate it?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Clean install of Windows 10 lost activation - help!

On both my main machines I was running Windows 8.1 and I then removed that and installed the Windows 10 insider program.

I kept installing new builds until RTM came along. Once Windows 10 was released I unenrolled from the program and both machines were still activated.

I performed a clean Windows 10 install on one machine and now it is asking for Windows 10 to be activated and I don't have a key - am I basically screwed?

What can I do to activate it?

Many thanks,

Ian

IcyStorm

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Clean install of Windows 10 lost activation - help!

I don't think that's any way for you to activate it? Weren't people supposed to stay on the Insider Program to remain activated OR upgrade from 7/8.1 to be activated (and then clean install)?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

You need to reinstall your licensed version of 8.1, and perform an in-place upgrade to Win 10. Win10 should then be activated and you can perform a clean install. ..

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

You need to reinstall your licensed version of 8.1, and perform an in-place upgrade to Win 10. Win10 should then be activated and you can perform a clean install. ..

I used the Windows 10 USB media tool and upgraded the version of Windows 10. Surely this means I now have a legitimate version or not? It is still activated after the upgrade. Is there any way to check I will survive a clean install?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

As has been mentioned you need to upgrade the 8.1 version first.

The W8.1 activation needs to be upgraded to a W10 activation, once it has then you can use it to perform a clean install.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

I used the Windows 10 USB media tool and upgraded the version of Windows 10. Surely this means I now have a legitimate version or not? It is still activated after the upgrade. Is there any way to check I will survive a clean install?
The free upgrade is available when you upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 -- not Win 10TP. . .

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I restored my secondary laptop to Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10.

I will do the same with my main laptop at some point now that I managed to find the Asus factory restore tool and I had kept the initial Windows 8.1 recovery partition intact.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk