How can I do a clean Windows 10 install after pc upgrade?

fshrago

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Clean windows 10 install after pc upgrade

I had a licensed windows 7 PC and did the in-place upgrade to windows 10. However my main hard drive (an SSD) is too small and I want to upgrade it. I understand that if I do a clean install (from an ISO/USB) then windows 10 should still recognise my PC as it was activated.

However, if I change the hard drive (or add memory, add a graphics card etc) does windows still recognise my PC or do I have to go through the stupidty of installing windows 7, installing the service pack, waiting for the inplace upgrade to windows 10, activating, and then wiping everything in order to do a clean install!?!?!

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Clean windows 10 install after pc upgrade

I had a licensed windows 7 PC and did the in-place upgrade to windows 10. However my main hard drive (an SSD) is too small and I want to upgrade it. I understand that if I do a clean install (from an ISO/USB) then windows 10 should still recognise my PC as it was activated.

However, if I change the hard drive (or add memory, add a graphics card etc) does windows still recognise my PC or do I have to go through the stupidty of installing windows 7, installing the service pack, waiting for the inplace upgrade to windows 10, activating, and then wiping everything in order to do a clean install!?!?!
It did for me.

Upgrade install in existing HDD; Clean install on new SSD. Windows activated no problem.

Your mileage may vary -- this is how it's supposed to work, and it did for me. Now if you swap a motherboard, or upgrade a processor it may not -- haven't ween the particulars of what you're allowed to upgrade, and what you can't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard