Windows 10 is so rude.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I am starting to not like Windows 10. Everything about it that I tweaked I love except the annoying rude thing it does when it updates your drivers without your user permission. I installed yet another update late night after my computer rebooted it was set to install at 5:30 AM as it woke me up. Well after it installed another update but the worse part was it updated that horrible Realtek audio driver. I hid the driver using there tool and disabled driver updates in the Device Installation settings yet the horrible driver rudely installed itself while I was listening to music. The music crapped out and then when I restarted foobar2000 the audio was super loud and sounded crappier. I of course removed the driver and rebooted and then it did it again, installed the Realtek audio driver.

Well I spend a good 2 hours in the middle of the night trying to fix this crap. What finally fixed it for now was running the disable driver tool and hiding the Realtek audio driver again. It seems that whenever this crappy or any other driver is updated from Microsoft it will automatically reinstall the "latest" crap driver even if you are using a perfectly fine driver which is the "HD Audio Driver" which sounds great. It does not care if you are doing something important like recording or mastering audio or video it just rudely ruins whatever it want to do.

If this crap is not fixed by October with its next big update and I can't disable automatic driver updates. I like to use my own drivers that work. I don't give a crap if they are older than I am giving my Window computer to my grandmother and I am finally going to switch to OSX where things work right.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep. That's rude alright.

I'll bet your cat was peeved as well. They hate screechy sounds.

This is something I hope Microsoft will get worked out soon as well. For now, I'm set to a metered connection so I can at least see what will hit before I allow an update.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Tony,

Sorry to hear you are having audio issues.

Now, I don't know your particular setup (other than the brief details you shared) so bear with me.

Is it possible when the new driver installs it is at default settings. Might it not be possible to open the audio control panel and tweak the settings to dial it in? The new driver might possibly not be so bad, it just isn't configured the way you may have done for your old driver in the past.

I know after I ungraded to 10 I tweaked audio and video settings and have been very happy. I also have Realtek on board.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I tweaked the Realtek audio driver it is just crap. Super loud and echo type sound. My $99 Bose speakers sound like a $9 cheap no name brand speakers after the driver updates. Also what really ticks me off is that with the Realtek drivers sometimes the sound just stops working even after rebooting. I roll back to the HD audio and it works until Windows reinstalls the Realtek drivers again.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Then hide the update.... Windows tries to give you the newer driver version, after all that's what an updater should do no? the problem is a generic driver is not the best thing, and I guess computer makers or motherboard just don't get to update their drivers.
yes it causes problems, I had to hide the update because it was installing a newer video driver and it made my dad's laptop screen flicker.

how do you hide? well first
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
or just download this troubleshooter file that they provide http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

and you click next, wait, choose the hide option and then hide the updates for your sound card or the others you need to. you will see realtek or anything. just hide it and uninstall or reinstall or rollback the driver and you will not get Windows to try update it again.

It's not something hard to do, it's just as easy as this, really easy to fix:
windows-10-hide-updates-tool.jpg

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I tweaked the Realtek audio driver it is just crap. Super loud and echo type sound. My $99 Bose speakers sound like a $9 cheap no name brand speakers after the driver updates. Also what really ticks me off is that with the Realtek drivers sometimes the sound just stops working even after rebooting. I roll back to the HD audio and it works until Windows reinstalls the Realtek drivers again.

A true audiophile that uses the Bose speakers isn't going to ever be satisfied with the sound quality from a built-in Realtek solution.
If you're using a laptop, there may not be as much you can do. You'll need an external USB solution to improve sound. If this is a custom desktop machine, though, you have better options. You may want to consider a dedicated audio card that can give you at least 124dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio and 192KHz sample rate. While most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference these cards will make on a standard set of inexpensive computer speakers, the Bose speakers will highlight the differences rather nicely.

Not a solution for your driver issue, per se, but a thought for you to consider if you are a true audiophile. The difference in sound could very well blow you away. My wife never does understand why I need all that. But my ears are rather sensitive to frequencies, and I can tell a big difference. I love it when the sound is pure and lossless.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned that you preferred the HD Audio to realtek. I believe the HD Audio stays there as an option, doesn't it? Right click on your Volume system tray icon and choose Playback Devices. Change the default to HD Audio, and see if that works for you.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
You mentioned that you preferred the HD Audio to realtek. I believe the HD Audio stays there as an option, doesn't it? Right click on your Volume system tray icon and choose Playback Devices. Change the default to HD Audio, and see if that works for you.
That does not work. When the Realtek drivers install it erraticates the HD audio drivers and the only way to get it back is to uninstall the Realtek drivers. Rolling back does not work unless I hide the update using the tool and tell it not to check Windows Update for driver updates.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Another set of crappy Realtek drivers were pushed to me using Windows update. I hid them using the tool but I was still forced to install them first. They are a bit better but still suck. The audio is no longer super loud but it still makes my Bose speakers sound like a cheap $9 no name brand speakers. No bass and tiny sound. I uninstalled them and they have not shown up in Windows update until the next crappy Realtek driver update.

What really gets me is that it leaves all my other drivers alone. I updated them manually and they stay on that version but it will not leave me alone on the audio driver. Come on 90% of my computer use is listening to music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6