Win10 restart stalls after 10586 upgrade, what can I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Win10 restart stalls after 10586 upgrade

Message says it needs to restart in order to complete upgrade. I check restart now and the little dots appear and the message on the screen says Restarting. several hours later the moving dots and restart message are still there, but no restart. have tried a hard restart and then gone to updates. Quickly get a 100% flash up and then the scheduled restart message. Have also set this to allow a restart after 1 hour. Restart starts OK but the results are the same as above. Can anyone help please.
Win 10 pro 64.
Intel i5 CPU
Samsung SSD Pro 256Gb HDD
NVIDIA GT 220

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Win10 restart stalls after 10586 upgrade

1) What are you upgrading - laptop, PC or AiO?

2) Do you have an sd card plugged in?

3) have you tried removing the peripherals and see if that helped?

Please join and provide more info.

Bestelec

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

Sorry for delay in answering.
I'm upgrading a PC and have tried unplugging all of my USB devices with the exception of wireless KB and Mouse. There is no SD card.
Not sure how to find out what build my OS is at right now. Could you tell me how to find out?
Thank you

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Sorry for delay in answering.
I'm upgrading a PC and have tried unplugging all of my USB devices with the exception of wireless KB and Mouse. There is no SD card.
Not sure how to find out what build my OS is at right now. Could you tell me how to find out?
Thank you

Sure,

1) Press WinKey+X or right click the start button

2) Run

3) Type in WinVer and you should get something like this (if you have home etc, it will say Windows 10 Home):
WinVer.PNG

Did you mount the iso, created a bootable usb or burned a DVD and using that to upgrade?

If you mounted the iso, may be try a bootable usb?

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I had other issues with some of my upgrades. I haven't found a problem the Media Creation Tool won't fix. No .iso creation necessary, just tell it to update.

Bestelec

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for that I used USB to burn CD using media creation tool. Its only the upgrade restart that doesn't happen. I have noticed that even before the upgrade the system would occasionally fail to do a restart. I am currently running V10.0 Build 1024. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifeca1295