Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Although there are lots of new features in Windows 10 compared to Windows 8.1, there are a couple of curious cases where features have been taken away for no obvious reason:

1. Swipe down on lock screen for camera

This is a pretty handy feature on Windows 8.1 that lets you swipe downward on the lock screen to open the camera app to take a photo quickly. It can be disabled in Settings, so it's hard to see why there would be privacy concerns.

2. Quiet Hours cannot be scheduled

In Windows 8.1 you can set a time period each day (such as 23:00 to 7:00) when Quiet Hours will automatically come on and mute all sound. In Windows 10 it seems that the feature is reduced to a manual toggle in the Notification Centre.

Perhaps these features are gone because the relevant parts of the OS were rewritten. Perhaps there are plans to bring them back. (If not, Quiet Hours is now an extremely lame feature!)

Have you run into other cases like this?

Cheers

- rick

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. In Cortona Notebook I have:

notebook.png
No Quiet Hours
Windows 10.0.10586 Build 10586

Could this be because my local is en_CA, not en_US?

- rick

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
So let's try to figure out what's different about your system. Can you tell me the SKU and build number of WIndows 10? Your Region & Language settings? Anything else you can think of that may be relevant?

Thanks

- richard

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
@IrishBoy0113

Don't believe everything you read. When I toggle on QH in the AC it blocks notifications immediately and until it is toggled off.

- richard

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Guys, I think you've misunderstood what he meant.

Quiet hours can no longer be triggered by "Busy" appointments in the Calendar. They can in WP8.1.

Personally I think this is an astonishing omission, and is one of the reasons I've reverted to WP8.1

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
@Steve: This is not the Windows Phone 10 forum, it's the Windows 10 forum. My points are about Windows 10.

If anyone sees the ability to schedule Quiet Hours on Windows 10 - not WP10 - please reply. I'd love to figure out how to do this, but I believe it is not possible with the current version of Windows 10.

- richard

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
@Kevin - I run Windows 10 on my tablet. Very handy to have Quiet Hours on it - especially if it were able to turn QH on during meetings, like in WP8.1 (but not, sadly, WP10)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen