Transferring contacts to Windows 10 Mail

jeffreim

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello
I fear I've already found the answer to this question, but just can't believe it could be this bad, so here goes...
Is there ANY WAY to transfer contacts from Windows Mail 2006 (Vista; stored there in a folder called "contacts", accessible within the program by clicking on "address book") TO the "People" app in Windows 10 mail? I have literally HUNDREDS of contacts; every windows upgrade through Vista allowed me to continue using these contacts... until now. If what I've heard is right -- that there is no way short of manually typing in each and every contact one at a time -- I am absolutely dumbfounded. PLEASE tell me there is some special back-door way to take my old contacts and add them to my "people". If I have to transfer them to another program first, that's fine. I just can't believe I'm expected to literally add hundreds of contacts by typing them all one at a time. How can ANYONE just be OK with this!? It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
A simple, step-by-step explanation would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Open the Contacts folder using File Explorer. There should be an option to Export. Export it as CSV.

navigate to outlook.com or your OneDrive and sign in. Click the the grid symbol, then go to the People. There should be an option to import.

Takes a little while to get it all saved and syncd to the phone. Be patient.

Hope this helps

jeffreim

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much. It took a little while as you said, but I managed to get my old contacts into my "People" app.
Now I have just one more issue with Win10 Mail -- the inability to create new folders...
All of the posts I've read on the subject seem to suggest that that feature is not available. If you know otherwise, I'd love to hear.
But thanks again for the tip on transferring contacts!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
You can create folders for your emails, but not folders for your contacts as they are a single alphabetical directory which makes sense. If you want to create multiple directories, you would be best advised to create multiple Outlook accounts which is not as cumbersome as one might think. It allows for separate email storage for each directory, which is pretty sensible. Try it and see what you think.

jeffreim

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
I was unclear -- I meant that I can't seem to create (or delete or rename) folders in my Verizon EMAIL account.
In other words, aside from the given "Inbox", "Drafts", "Sent", etc. I'd like to be able to create other folders -- such
as "Work" (to store work-related emails) or "Saved" (to keep other important emails for my records), etc. I can create
folders in the "outlook" account, but it is my Verizon account that I use almost exclusively, especially for work; the
little "plus" button that allows me to add a new folder to my Outlook account is not there in my Verizon account.
I tried adding a folder in my Verizon account ONLINE to see if it would appear when Win10 Mail synced, but no.
I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks again.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I suggest that first you find out the email service provider (ie. my ISP account is basically a rebadged Gmail system). That may open up work arounds related to the base service provider? It should work. You may also want to check the Verizon forums and ask Verizon why they block such functionality. The Outlook app can do it, if the service can. Alternatively, redirect your Verizon account to a Microsoft Outlook account. That way you will get all possible features and full control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro