Success with "Link State Power Management" fix for random WIndows 10 Ann. freezes?

RyanGermann

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
My sister and I both were having random freezes with Windows 10 Anniversary... my sister said it was most noticeable when she'd be typing something, then everything would stop, and then after about 30 seconds, the typed characters would come out in a rush. Hers was a pretty powerful Dell i7 notebook with discrete NVidia graphics.

I was having the same issue on an AMD APU-based ultrabook... great little machine that has served me very well... until it started freezing like hers. I couldn't pinpoint the problem: I of course updated all the drivers to the latest and looked for any devices in Device Manager that had the dreaded yellow caution triangle, but everything looked OK.

I saw a youtube video that suggested disabling Link State Power Management in the Power Options. I didn't see any specific references to that "fix" so I thought I'd post and just ask if a) anyone is still experiencing these random temporary "freezes" and b) if anyone had tried this "Link State Power Management" fix and either had success or no change.

Sorry if this has been discussed but a search on "link state" didn't return any posts so I thought it might be worth a new post.

I've only implemented this fix about half an hour ago, so it's difficult to tell if this has resolved the problem... anyone else had success with this technique?

p.s the fix is done by right-clicking on the Start button, clicking "Control Panel", then "System..." then "Power Options" then when you see the "power plans", click "Change settings" for the power plan, then find the "Change advanced settings" link and a dialog will pop up with a tree: on the tree find "PCI Express", expand it so you can see the "plugged in" and "battery" options, click them both and choose "off". Apply the changes.

For good measure I also found my video card power options and set it to "Maximum Performance" on plugged in and left it at "Maximize Battery" when on battery... and next time I use the machine for a long period of time on battery power, if I see it start freezing I'll go set it to "Maximum Performance" too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes