XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
Like Tree18Likes
  1. I Spiritus I's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #26  
    I thought it was a little bit of a learning curve switching from W7 to W8, but now I've switched (Got W8 on my gaming rig) and have a Surface RT I'm loving it!
  2. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,808 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,042 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dainla View Post
    Mountain Lion is a piece of crap. Most if my friends don't like it. I hate it. I've use computers for very little and everything I do us now unnecessarily complicated.

    I think Apple users are just less inclined to freak out the way windows users have over W8. Personally, I'm now thinking if switching to windows 8 now because I find the touch screen inclusion so impressive to use.
    For an Apple user to complain about OSX would be tantamount to sacrilege. Honestly, I loved OSX when it was still on Power PC processors. The move to Intel was the start of "Window-fication" and OSX lost its mojo. I like Windows 8 but the boot-up speed and incremental overall speed of the system is not enough for me to upgrade from 7 Ultimate.
  3. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    784 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    For an Apple user to complain about OSX would be tantamount to sacrilege. Honestly, I loved OSX when it was still on Power PC processors. The move to Intel was the start of "Window-fication" and OSX lost its mojo. I like Windows 8 but the boot-up speed and incremental overall speed of the system is not enough for me to upgrade from 7 Ultimate.
    Well there are a lot of benefits to switch from Win7 to Win8, but if you are not going to like it then don't upgrade.
  4. odin09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #29  
    I care about my damn start menu! I hate a cluttered desktop and only put a few select apps there. I access almost everything from the start menu... Not the fastest or most efficient way but it's my way. There is no reason not to have it... You don't have to use it if it's there.
  5. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,808 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,042 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Well there are a lot of benefits to switch from Win7 to Win8, but if you are not going to like it then don't upgrade.
    Obviously you misread my statement, I do like Windows 8. I just don't feel there are enough benefits to justify the time required to back up all the software (over 100 gig's worth), music and photos I have to install the new system. Yes, I only believe in clean installs as opposed to upgrades. I'm sure there are also quite a few titles in my collection that aren't supported by 8 either. It's a shame because I really like the Metro UI. Cuts down on a few steps and that's really the point of this thread - who cares about the damned start menu.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  6. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,654 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,718 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    For an Apple user to complain about OSX would be tantamount to sacrilege. Honestly, I loved OSX when it was still on Power PC processors. The move to Intel was the start of "Window-fication" and OSX lost its mojo. I like Windows 8 but the boot-up speed and incremental overall speed of the system is not enough for me to upgrade from 7 Ultimate.
    I have a friend who loved Snow Leopard but hates Mountain Lion. He is not a social media user and hates the "sharing" options that are so prevalent in Mountain Lion.
  7. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,808 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,042 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I have a friend who loved Snow Leopard but hates Mountain Lion. He is not a social media user and hates the "sharing" options that are so prevalent in Mountain Lion.
    Not to go off on a tangent here, but what's the deal with all the "sharing" these days? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be able to just attach a file to an email and cc whoever I want than to go through all the hassles of social media. I'll post a funny pic on FB every now and then but to have the whole world (read: employer) see what you're up to is not my idea of sharing. End of rant, excuse me while I go fetch my meds.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  8. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    671 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent here, but what's the deal with all the "sharing" these days? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be able to just attach a file to an email and cc whoever I want than to go through all the hassles of social media. I'll post a funny pic on FB every now and then but to have the whole world (read: employer) see what you're up to is not my idea of sharing. End of rant, excuse me while I go fetch my meds.
    You do know you can block your employer from seeing your Facebook page and you can pick and choose what and to whom you share something with. Typically, if I'm sharing something its not very serious and I would share with all my friends if I could. I find Facebook to be the easiest method to do it
  9. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,654 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,718 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent here, but what's the deal with all the "sharing" these days? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be able to just attach a file to an email and cc whoever I want than to go through all the hassles of social media. I'll post a funny pic on FB every now and then but to have the whole world (read: employer) see what you're up to is not my idea of sharing. End of rant, excuse me while I go fetch my meds.
    I'm the same way. Yes I use Twitter, although I don't use Facebook. However, I prefer "email link" rather than "share as [email, Facebook, Twitter, etc]". Just the whole "share" terminology bugs me. I'd rather see "send" or "email" instead of "share".
  10. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,808 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,042 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    You do know you can block your employer from seeing your Facebook page and you can pick and choose what and to whom you share something with. Typically, if I'm sharing something its not very serious and I would share with all my friends if I could. I find Facebook to be the easiest method to do it
    Can the blocked party know they've been blocked? If they can, that sends a loud "FU" message don't you think?
  11. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    671 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Can the blocked party know they've been blocked? If they can, that sends a loud "FU" message don't you think?
    I guess they will know they are blocked from seeing your page if they've already had been your Facebook friend. Even if so, you can control what he/she sees. My little brother doesn't see anything adult related I post or share with others
  12. narv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    308 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Obviously you misread my statement, I do like Windows 8. I just don't feel there are enough benefits to justify the time required to back up all the software (over 100 gig's worth), music and photos I have to install the new system. Yes, I only believe in clean installs as opposed to upgrades. I'm sure there are also quite a few titles in my collection that aren't supported by 8 either. It's a shame because I really like the Metro UI. Cuts down on a few steps and that's really the point of this thread - who cares about the damned start menu.
    not to get you all off topic of being off topic..... :P... but just to note.. when I upgraded from windows 7, I also selected a clean install.. It created a folder on my computer called windows.old that has my old stuff in it though... (this is something i know win 8 RT does too).. so you CAN clean install and still save your stuff.. but it's just program files, windows folder, and the "my pics" "my docs" etc folders. Just a side note, hehe
  13. smurfercom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #38  
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	28563
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    I care about my damn start menu! I hate a cluttered desktop and only put a few select apps there. I access almost everything from the start menu... Not the fastest or most efficient way but it's my way. There is no reason not to have it... You don't have to use it if it's there.
    I care about it to, after struggling with navigation and getting under the hood I decided to use classic and have it boot straight to desktop. Now I don't have to bother with metro and metro doesn't bother me... Win win for both sides of the two headed monster.
  14. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by JussiRM View Post
    I like the start menu since Vista to Windows 7. Just hit Windows key and type away the program you want to open. Easy. I find it hard to believe that the Windows 8 start menu is faster or more convenient. It's filling up the whole screen, feeling bloated. And yes, the "damn start menu" is what has been keeping me away from Windows 8. It just feels so wrong for desktop. I'm not saying Windows 8 is worse than Windows 7 - I believe it has better features and so on. It is indeed a whole new version of this software. And I will probably update to it sometime, but I will probably investigate some means to get the old Start menu back.

    Point is I fail to see how the new start menu is actually better than the old (Windows 7). I find it inferior, clearly designed tablets in mind. This said, I have not used Windows 8 yet and there might be something I don't know.
    Get windows 8 and download Stardock Start8. It will pretty much replace what you used to have on W7.

    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/soft...ck-start8.aspx
    Laura Knotek likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Who is super excited about the Lumia 900?
    By cp2_4eva in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions