Resetting Windows Phone 7?

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So if I have some apps that won't load or some apps that the live tile has stopped working, should I do a hard reset?

And if I do that and then plug it back it back in, is everything installed again? How would I go about doing this the easy way?

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So if I have some apps that won't load or some apps that the live tile has stopped working, should I do a hard reset?
No, not just yet. Try re-installing them first. What apps are you having trouble with?

And if I do that and then plug it back it back in, is everything installed again? How would I go about doing this the easy way?
If you do a full factory reset, Zune should be able to use a backup to restore the phone (should you have a backup present). I haven't used my Windows PC to sync my phone yet so I can't give any info on that, but the Windows Phone 7 Connector: for mac took backups of my device and attempted to restore a previous backup when I did a factory reset, but it failed.

As to the easiest way in resetting your device completely, we can come to this after you've tried re-installing apps etc.

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've tried reinstalling the apps numerous times so I did a reset. And like you, I use the Mac app because I have all my music and movies on my Mac and not my PC. So, like you, I didn't have the option to restore from a backup. Not sure why.

So I guess it's time to play now.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The Zune software will only reinstall the apps that you purchased through the Zune software. Anything that was purchased via the Marketplace on your phone will need to be manually reinstalled.

If you have a Zune Pass, make sure you have a device spot empty. When you do a hard reset, the Zune software considers your phone a "new" device and adds it to your list of Zune Pass devices.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Good to know mgarcia! Is there any way to unregister a device before you hard reset?

Yeah, in the Zune software - Settings > Account > Devices and Computers (or something along those lines)

You can only remove one device a month though, so if your queue of devices is full, you can only do a hard reset once every 30 days and keep your Zune subsciption active.

Example - I reset my Focus in January not thinking about this process.. this filled my device queue up without me noticing. About 3 weeks later, I purchased a micro SD card for it, which requires a full reset to initialize it. Since my device queue was full, I couldn't tie my phone to my Zune account for about 10 days.

It's one of my top complaints with the Zune software..

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, the reason I was asking was because I bought a Focus from eBay and I guess the guy didn't reset it when he installed the new memory card. None of the live tiles would work, text me! absolutely would not open, World Weather wouldn't open... Nothing.

The Marketplace was slow...

I did a reset and now everything is pure shibby. Everything works now.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, the reason I was asking was because I bought a Focus from eBay and I guess the guy didn't reset it when he installed the new memory card. None of the live tiles would work, text me! absolutely would not open, World Weather wouldn't open... Nothing.

The Marketplace was slow...

I did a reset and now everything is pure shibby. Everything works now.
lol @ everything is pure shibby

glad it's working for ya man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes