Any way to disable texting ability?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I do not have texting on my plan. I just use my unlimited data to send emails and if its something more urgent, I still know how to talk to people with my voice. I would text a few people if I had it, but its not a big deal to me that I do not. Anyway, I went to message someone the other day and accidentally texted them instead of FB message. Since its so seamless I did not realize it till I sent it. Maybe I am just missing the indication of what form I am about to transmit in but its not very obvious to me. I am wondering if I can just turn off texting on the phone.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you asked your carrier to block text messages? You may want to do this or you may also get charged if somebody sends you an SMS.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they block texts from incoming but outgoing is my responsibility. Only ATT can send me texts and those are free.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they block texts from incoming but outgoing is my responsibility. Only ATT can send me texts and those are free.

never heard of this on a smartphone...usually people with a smart phone are more texters, at least the 200 plan....but, it would have to be AT&T..

But, I think they can't block texts and allow data, and since you have to have data I don't think they can completely block texts...

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What if you changed everyone's Mobile Numbers in your phone to Work Numbers or Home Numbers? If the phone doesn't see a mobile number associated with a contact, I would imagine it wouldn't ever try to text that contact.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You can do a full block of texting and MMS on AT&T. I don't know if it is part of a business account, but just call customer service and tell them you want texting completely disabled on your line.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have it completely disabled, but I think that is only for incoming texts. I sent that accidental text the other night and it popped up on my screen in a bubble indicating that it was sent. I have no idea if it went anywhere but it seemed to have left my phone. I guess I could ask the person, huh. :)

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
We don't allow most employees to text from their work phones. I am not sure what it does on their device but we are not being charged for texts on those lines.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
She never got the text so I guess the block works. I thought I read that if the text you enter shows up on the screen in the little conversation bubble, then it was sent out. Guess not though. I guess the block works and I will just have to pay attention to how I am messaging people.

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Its quite clear how the message will be sent in the messaging hub. In the typing area before you type your message it says 'Chat on Messenger', 'type a text message' or 'Chat on facebook'.

Also, once your have switched to an alternative messaging method, at the top of the screen it says the contacts name and the type of message you will be sending.

Hope that helps.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I notice that now. This was the first time I clicked on the chat link from the people tile for that person and just started typing without paying attention to what it said in the block. Then I realized that the arrows allowed switching after sending the text. Still not 100% used to WP7. Back on iOS it was easy to know how I was communicating because I had to go to that specific app to start.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes