Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasn?t it Taken Off?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
C'mon guys! Some of the debates are pretty petty.

In the U.S., WP needs more phones on Verizon and Sprint, more exposure, and it needs to differentiate itself from iOS and Android devices. People I've talked to have a hard time understanding why Windows Phone exists when we have iPhones and so many Android phones.

I can't really speak for the rest of the world, though.

I agree that VZN and Sorint need more WP devices to increase market penetrationm. But VZN seems to letharcic or indifferent to MS windows Phones and Sprint is about the same, o less. TMo is in straits because D T wants out on NA markets. They have been courted by the others proimarily for their bandwidth and spectrum. ATT at least was using the same basic tecnology GPRS with the addition of AWS.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree that VZN and Sorint need more WP devices to increase market penetrationm. But VZN seems to letharcic or indifferent to MS windows Phones and Sprint is about the same, o less. TMo is in straits because D T wants out on NA markets. They have been courted by the others proimarily for their bandwidth and spectrum. ATT at least was using the same basic tecnology GPRS with the addition of AWS.

I cannot see verizon turning down a high end phone like the ace like one person suggested. Verizon is a business and all about making money and are not going to turn down a high end phone. I think once lte makes its way into wp7 you will see more on verizon.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see verizon turning down a high end phone like the ace like one person suggested. Verizon is a business and all about making money and are not going to turn down a high end phone. I think once lte makes its way into wp7 you will see more on verizon.

it's already been confirmed that there will be a few LTe WP phones. Vz is known for saying things and then doing another so there's no doubt that there will be some high end phones on Vz and sprint if they don't go bankrupt.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
it's already been confirmed that there will be a few LTe WP phones. Vz is known for saying things and then doing another so there's no doubt that there will be some high end phones on Vz and sprint if they don't go bankrupt.

I know it's been confirmed but that is what I am saying, currently there are none out and who knows that maybe one of those or both will make their way to verizon, especially with how samsung likes to make 1 model and have it on all of the carriers, like their galaxy line.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I know it's been confirmed but that is what I am saying, currently there are none out and who knows that maybe one of those or both will make their way to verizon, especially with how samsung likes to make 1 model and have it on all of the carriers, like their galaxy line.

It will be on Verizon specifically because of how they have always said one thing and did another.

L

lumic

I think John Gruber's take is the best - no one really is quite sure why Windows Phone hasn't taken off, and it's obviously not just one or two points that can be easily solved. His analogy was if you showed a group of people Android, Windows Phone and iOS in their current iterations in 2006 (pre-iPhone), there would be more than 1% picking the Windows Phone.

So why hasn't it taken off? I can tell you mkr10001, it is not because it doesn't have bluetooth file transfer. KingCrimson, it is off-putting for haters such as yourself who are entrenched in photo-realism on a 2D screen.

Stop projecting your own objections into reasons why it hasn't taken off. If Microsoft had iterated on Windows Mobile (ie less aggressive look), it would have literally NOTHING against Android.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think John Gruber's take is the best - no one really is quite sure why Windows Phone hasn't taken off, and it's obviously not just one or two points that can be easily solved. His analogy was if you showed a group of people Android, Windows Phone and iOS in their current iterations in 2006 (pre-iPhone), there would be more than 1% picking the Windows Phone.

So why hasn't it taken off? I can tell you mkr10001, it is not because it doesn't have bluetooth file transfer. KingCrimson, it is off-putting for haters such as yourself who are entrenched in photo-realism on a 2D screen.

Stop projecting your own objections into reasons why it hasn't taken off. If Microsoft had iterated on Windows Mobile (ie less aggressive look), it would have literally NOTHING against Android.

98% of the market prefers photo-realistic 3D icons vs flat boring live tiles. The market has spoken.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So I should sell my trophy and get an iPhone because a year from now WP market share will be the same as now?

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

I'm just saying it might be a waste of money to invest in a burning platform. Apple is selling 30 million iPhone per quarter compared to 100K window Phones.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying it might be a waste of money to invest in a burning platform. Apple is selling 30 million iPhone per quarter compared to 100K window Phones.

I'll be using WP until November for sure. I think it's too early to write the platform off. Maybe it will take off and maybe it will crash and burn. At this point it is pure speculation. I'm hoping it takes off, but if it doesn't I'll move on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Don't Windows PCs still outsell and have a large portion of the market? You should go to Mac forums and tell them they're wasting their money and tell Apple to stop making Macs.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Fair enough. I really like how your post started, but wasn't so pleased with the end.

I believe that while everyone's opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, they should still be able to state their idea. The purpose of a forum is for people to share ideas, get feedback, and receive other benefits that communities bring. Sadly, just like with real communities, you get both the positive and the negative (not going to point out specifics :) ). Nevertheless, let's be fair and let everyone share their ideas, whether we agree or not.

Like I said, I like that you point out that there is a lot more to it than just one or a few things that haven't been perfect. However, it is still worth a shot to try to figure it out (if not at the least, a little bit).

M

mkr10001

WHEN have I ever said that Bluetooth is the reason wp7 hasn't taken off? I may have said that's something they need but never blamed everything on the lack of it, you thoroughly unpleasant excuse for a human being. Take your foul attitude somewhere else!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Most people that have seen my phone have no idea what it is. Granted, most of them aren't nearly as tech savvy as I. In the US, i think the lack of sales is because nonexistent marketing. :/

Perhaps when W8 hits, it may gain some recognition among normal humans. :p Who knows, Metro UI in W8 may not be too recognizable either, if its only used on touchscreens.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting to the the "sky is falling" attitude.

For some, it's a desire they have to see WP fail. I'm not sure why. Apparently being a fan of something else means that they want to see possible competitors go up in flames.

For others it is a little impatience. Things aren't moving fast enough, and therefore they think that signifies failure.

And for even others, it's just a frustration that there must be something "wrong" if an OS that is so nice can't pick up any traction.

WP isn't everything to everyone. It's not even everything to a majority. But it is a great OS that does some things extremely well. In my opinion, best in class.

"Superior" is so subjective. And with so many different types of people with different priorities, that label will be given to whatever platform happens to satisfy their own personal wants and needs in the best way possible. For me, that's WP. For others, it may not be. But I look forward to WP growing to the point where it can start gaining some of that label from those other customers.

But I'm fine with the ones that want shiny static icons staying with another platform. WP definitely does not need to move in that direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb