Let's talk about a notification system

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've seen design concepts on YouTube and haven't really seen any I particularly like. Here's my idea: swipe left for app list (as it is now) and swipe right for notifications. This to me seems simple, intuitive, and fits the Metro UI very well.

However, one of my favorite features of Mango, the Me hub, would become useless. Is there anyway to maintain usefulness of the Me hub and have a nice notification system?

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I've seen design concepts on YouTube and haven't really seen any I particularly like. Here's my idea: swipe left for app list (as it is now) and swipe right for notifications. This to me seems simple, intuitive, and fits the Metro UI very well.

However, one of my favorite features of Mango, the Me hub, would become useless. Is there anyway to maintain usefulness of the Me hub and have a nice notification system?

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.
A lot of people have suggested a notifications screen in the same manner as you have. Tons of posts here and elsewhere (e.g. Microsoft Answers) asking for a revamp on the notification system.

Regarding your suggestions, you are correct that it may nullify part of the usefulness of the Me tile. You could still be able to use the Me tile for checking in and making a simultaneous post on Twitter and Facebook, which I like a lot.

M

mkr10001

I don't see the big need for a notification centre...

If you miss something it's on that tile...messages, me tile, phone call tile..

What's the problem?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Or perhaps, just a tought they could add all OS notifications to the me tile. But have the ability to delete them and have finer control in setting over which apps are included in such notifications.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
We don't need a notification center live tiles provide that hotness especially when folders come into play you can put all your sports notifications into a folder, pin it to your home screen and call it a day

We DO need better notifications sent to the ME tile we need it to push not pull
E-mail,Messages and phone can all have better live tiles showing us more information

Having a notification is no different than live tiles on your homescreen whats the difference? Notification window I still have to scroll down same thing with live tiles just organize it properly.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles as they currently are, are about as useful as iOS number badges indicating a message. Seriously, I can think of ONE application that has had an useful live tile. Just one, and it's more of an effect than any real info (weatherlive).

All others, just a number. At least in a notification center, iOS or android-esque, we can have long term (and not the short toasts, either) notification states.

Honestly, look at it. I have numbers all over my xbl, linked inbox, and SMS tiles. I know I have messages, however, iOS icons had that ability for years, and apple still, rightly, saw the need for a notification center.

It can be utterly unobtrusive for those who do not like using such a function, yet there for those who would stand to benefit from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
^ Fuse has awesome live tiles since I am into blogs I can see all the latest headlines without opening it sometimes it catches my attention

Mystocks is a great live tile shows me my top 6 stocks of the day I use that on a regular basis

I can kind of understand what your saying long term and short term toasts but cant you just open the app and see all the messages you need to see? Whats a good example of a notification center I would assume its to check weather, stocks, see the latest headlines etc

I mean im up for better notification centers but I am statisfied with live tiles right now

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I only need a more prominent and insistent voicemail notification, incuding as insistent as a phone call when my speaker is set to zero. Increasing loudness as in the Alarm app would also be good. Otherwise, I'm not a notifications guy, as I'm not an immediate-response guy, anyway. But, phone calls and messages are still special in life as I live it, and I do want to respond to -or at least listen to- voicemail messages asap. ;)

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on a central notification system. On one hand it's easy to check what's going on in the world from one place. On the other hand the notification system can be abused by apps and become a chore to clear.

The current system has its advantages. With the central system I feel obligated to clear all the notifications. With Live tiles I'm able to say I'll check Twitter, but check my News app alerts later.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The tiles are the notification system. Every messaging app should plug into the WP Messages tile. Every calling app should plug into the Phone tile. You get the idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon