My phone is DYING!

musicmadman1

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi.
So, I've had my phone (HTC HD7 Mango) for just over a year now, and I've absolutely loved it. Mostly. It was all going so well until about December, when IE9 got stuck on the tabs page, then closed. It now won't open. The tile flips over, but after that... Nothing! This means that no links in emails or on Bing Search will open, which you can imagine is pretty irritating when you consider the level of integration the browser has into the OS. But I thought I'd try and make do with a 3rd party browser until IE10 comes out with the Apollo update.

Now, you may be thinking "Why not just restore the phone"? Well, I tried. LOTS. And every time, it just said that the restore had failed. The subsequent updates pushed out to my phone- which I hoped would fix any problems- haven't helped, and now the restore point is to a version containing the errors. Again, Irritating.

So I thought I'd just wait until the next major update to the OS. However, several other things have now gone wrong. When I wake up each morning and check my phone, the battery meter tells me that it has only half charged (until I soft restart it) and loading time in apps and within the OS is pretty appauling. It then freezes so that I have to remove the battery and restart it 5 or 6 times before I can use the phone as anything other than a pretty lame torch. And when it does finally start working 'normally', I find that I can no longer connect to the Marketplace due to connection issues ("Please check the phone is not in flight mode"... IT'S NOT.)

I know that most of you are now thinking that I should just cut my loses and reset my phone. And I'd love to, I really would. But my phone has all of my messages on, some of which are from a friend who died recently, and I really don't want to lose them! [Note: WHY WOULD YOU NOT INCLUDE SMS BACKUP IN AN OS?? Every phone I've owned in the last 5 years has had that capability, and this- the most 'advanced' one yet- hasn't??] I've paid ?25/Month for 15 months + ?100 for the handset, and I'm currently the not-so-proud owner of a shiny, flashing brick. As you can probably tell, I'm a little bit annoyed by it at the moment.

Okay, now that's out of the way, here's my question: Has anyone else experienced such HUGE problems with their phone? I've searched around to try and find any similar problems, but nothing so far. I'd just like to know if mine is the first Windows Phone to completely fall over (because it would be SUCH an honour...)

Cheers

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
No problems here but I feel for ya.
Sorry about your friend but I think you can save the SMS if their content is all that matters.
Just send them to a nother phone or retype them..

All the things you mentioned seem to be software related. It might just be a badly loaded OS.
Any homebrew apps that mitght caused this while accessing system stuff?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had issues with the battery saying it's only 70-80% charged after being on all night, which a soft reset fixes, but I've experienced none of the other issues you talked about. A little while back, shortly after purchasing a Motorola Bluetooth earpiece, my HD7 froze. When I tried to soft-reset it wouldn't load past the HTC splash screen no matter how long I waited. I had to heard reset it. I paired the Bluetooth again, and it froze again within 5 days. After the 2nd hard reset I chose not to re-pair the Bluetooth and see what happened. It's been 3 months and no issues. I hope my phone doesn't start "dying" like yours is... I'm tied to Bell Mobility here in Canada until the summer of 2014, they don't currently sell ANY WP7 devices, and they don't have an early upgrade program of any kind, so I'd be stuck buying an Android I don't want outright at a huge sum just to use the services I pay a monthly premium for. (about $70 CAD after taxes)

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I think there is some sort of SMS backup tool for developer unlocked phones, have you had a go at that? It sucks to hear about the problems, I've had a randomly rebooting samsung focus that frustrated me for weeks but a new battery solved it. That's all the problems I've had though

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It's just too bad there isn't something for WP7 equivalent to the Doctor for webOS. I suspect your problem would be cleared up with a fresh install of WP7. Factory defaulting just isn't good enough.

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Recently my phone seems to be crashing for silly reasons. if i unplug the headphones it can freeze it, playing music can crash it. Sometimes i cant get the screen to unlock, or it will just freeze for no particular reason. the battery also sometimes refuses to charge without a lot of bullying, and zune refused to acknowledge my phone at all last week. Its also an HTC and over a year old. Maybe they just arent built to last. I've had absolutely no problems with it beforehand but all of a sudden having to pull the back off and get the battery out 4 or 5 times a week to get the thing to unfreeze.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Recently my phone seems to be crashing for silly reasons. if i unplug the headphones it can freeze it, playing music can crash it. Sometimes i cant get the screen to unlock, or it will just freeze for no particular reason. the battery also sometimes refuses to charge without a lot of bullying, and zune refused to acknowledge my phone at all last week. Its also an HTC and over a year old. Maybe they just arent built to last. I've had absolutely no problems with it beforehand but all of a sudden having to pull the back off and get the battery out 4 or 5 times a week to get the thing to unfreeze.

1.does it crash when you open up apps?

2. earphone unplug freeze = weird

3. Sounds like your lock screen button (hardware) has a problem ( know HTC issue)

4. having problem chagrin , did you force your plug into your phone , is your MICRO USB pins (in the phone ) loose? does are very delicate . i wouldn't be surprise if you broke it ) sounds liek you have a connector problem if ZUNE cant see it or your battery doesn't charge

5. did you ever drop liquid on your phone?

6. how often have you dropped your phone?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

3. Sounds like your lock screen button (hardware) has a problem ( know HTC issue)

4. having problem chagrin , did you force your plug into your phone , is your MICRO USB pins (in the phone ) loose? does are very delicate . i wouldn't be surprise if you broke it ) sounds liek you have a connector problem if ZUNE cant see it or your battery doesn't charge

maybe its a samsung, in which case that explains everything!!! lol, j.k. i know you said its an htc, but i had to intend the pun for selfcreation...

there has been some problems reportyed from certain apps running in the background too, when experiencing the issues check and see what apps are running in the background ... settings>applications>background tasks. also sounds like a hard reset might be in need... that usually fixes everything. but keep in mind these issues can happen to anyone on any platfrom, ive had lots of quarks on my old iphone 4 too...

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

1. Apps normally work OK but when playing music it sometimes just stops and the phone has frozen. Not using the phone for anything else at the time, just in my pocket.

2. innit

3. no i didnt force it. I'm aware that they arent that robust. Its working ok now.

4 & 5 never dropped liquid, and havent dropped it very much. and its in a case.

A lot of the crashes seem to be music related, and batteries don't last forever either.

sbetz

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC HD7 freezing

Were you ever able to resolve this? I have been experiencing the same issue with my HD7. I absolutely love the phone and the WinPhone 7 OS but it is very frustrating to have to pull the battery all the time.

Please if anyone knows of a fix for this, please let me know.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Get your phone unlocked and throw a custom ROM on it. Doesn't sound like you have much to loose should it go south on ya.

You should also be elegiable for an upgrade. Try to hold out a few more weeks and get yourself a WP8 device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes