Is there any other updates coming besides Apollo?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to WP7. While I like 7.5 there are a few things that should be fixed. Nothing that would totally deter me from liking it, but rather changes to make it more of an Android and iPhone competitor. Is Apollo supposed to be what fills some of the gaps in the system. One glaring thing I didn't like on the Lumia 900 is when I do a Bing lookup on an address then it gives me directions, but not the option as to what my navigation tool of choice is. Like I'd use Nokia drive. That's just one hole. So, no interim fixes to anything before Apollo?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ryouzaki

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
actually that's not the os's fault so much as it is the app's. for some really odd reason, nokia drive doesn't seem to be integrated into bing search at all.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe Nokia would push an update to better integrate their Nokia suite into WP7. Oh, and sorry for the bad grammar on the title.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There is an update called "Tango" coming up, but it's a minor one I think, supposed to offer more support for lower end WP7 phones with sub 1ghz processors, 256mb RAM. Not sure what it would do of the rest of us.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You know once you have the address you can copy it then paste it in Nokia drive? Once you get to the description tap and hold where it says address select copy then move it to Nokia Drive.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You know once you have the address you can copy it then paste it in Nokia drive? Once you get to the description tap and hold where it says address select copy then move it to Nokia Drive.

It funny you mentioning this, as I just started doing this a week ago. I would search for places in Nokia Drive and 9/10 there would be no results. Then it hit that it is still a turn-by-turn navigation system (just like a garmin gps or something where you download maps). So I then started copying and pasting the address I would find in Bing Maps (or through the official Google app) to Nokia Drive and give me directions. This saved me from trading or selling my Lumia 710 back for a Radar again (the device I came from first). Now I love my Lumia with Nokia Drive better than Google Navigation even, especially since its offline when I downloaded the map of my state and it has the speed limit functionality built in, although that is WAY more work than I should to just get turn by turn directions. Nokia Drive should be pulling its locations from both the Nokia Maps downloaded, Nokia's servers ,AND, if no result is found, should switch to using Bing Maps for locations in the code behind (especially considering Microsoft's and Nokia's partnership)....

That said, I wish there were more improvements they would make server-side that we would still benefit from without even needing OS updates, such as improving speech detection on their servers so that speech is better dictated when I use it. There are so many times where my speech will get dictated and be way off to where I wonder if there a ghost voice next to me or something. Tango will only bring what was mentioned above, plus more mms and voice recordings to send (so we will have similar functionality to HeyTell built into the OS). Other than that (along with all subsequent updates carriers skip out on) there is nothing until Apollo, and honestly I don't even expect Apollo until next year because I always expect the worse so I'm not disappointed (and nothing official has been announced except Windows Phone 8 exists)....

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah with major updates I don't expect them until later than the developers say. Simply because deep down I hope they are really tweaking the OS to work optimally. The phone is still good though. I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the phone. I'm just looking for some stability. If the phone is as stable as the iPhones prove to be then I'm ok with that.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think that Apollo will come on schedule because Nokia will be pushing on both ATT and MS to get it done timely and and therefore it will happen for Nokias phones and the rising tide should float all boats.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Nokia is the ultimate authority on the update though. Its more on Microsoft then ATT. But of it were up to them then yes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon