Current devices WILL NOT get Apollo.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If the specs allow it, the phone will get it. I am thinking 900, 800, Titan 2 and Focus S. 4 phones to update, not that hard. They all have FFC for Skype and those people can't upgrade again.

I don't think many early adopters would sing the praise of WP if we get left out in the rain.

Wrong.

800 doesn't have FFC.

Titan 1 and 2 have FFC.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So you think spending hundreds of millions of dollars to promote WP7 and Lumia "hype" makes sense if you are planning to dumb them both in just 6 months and start all over? All that money just to boost the number of apps?

In my opinion: Nonsense. It absolutely makes no sense.
All that press that they are building now would turn against them and bite WP8 and Nokia in the a**. That bad press would kill the WP8 start and hurt Nokia HARD. It would be such a dumb move for both Microsoft and Nokia that I just can't imagine them doing it. They have been planning this for too long and planning it together from the day 1.

I would also bet my left one that atleast lumias get upgraded. Some way.

If Lumias get updated then every second Windows Phone would HAVE TO since they all have the same processor and GPU. The only difference with Lumias (and really all 2nd Gen Windows Phones) are the screens, cameras, and proprietary software. Some 2nd gens have FFC, some don't. Some have overclocked processors to 1.5 ghz, while others don't. Other than that, Lumia devices are no different than any other 2nd Gen (and, in the general publics eye, worse when it comes to the cameras).

The Focus Flash, Focus S, Titan, and Titan are all in the same category. Even the Lumia 710. If they upgrade the Lumia 800 and 900 there is no reason they couldn't upgrade the other 2nd Gen devices. The problem, again, are the carriers. They don't want people to keep their current devices; they want new and renewed contracts.

I guess I could retract my statement and say all 2nd Gen devices may get updated, but 1st Gen devices forget it for sure. It wouldn't make sense to, as hardly ANYONE (unless they REALLY didn't know what they were buying) has a 1st Gen Windows Phone that is not up and ready to be replaced for another Windows Phone. It would make sense to cut them off, but cutting 2nd Gen devices would be suicide.

My worry is how slow Microsoft is moving, leading me to believe that no one will get the update without new hardware...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
D9JlG.gif

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
IF any update that comes around that time frame of year is NOT Apollo, then people need to quit acting like it's a betrayal and stop taking it personal. I want WP7 to succeed because I don't like the other options. They aren't bad, I just don't prefer them at all. If that means we don't get Apollo and there's good business sense behind it then so be it. If we find out that it was completely possible and they just didn't want to do it, THEN we can all get butt-hurt. New phones are always coming with new software versions and updated hardware. That's not suddenly a new thing. Use your 900 for a year then buy a new device or stick it out till the end of contract, the same as we've been doing before Apollo.

Now I'm going to go back to playing with the 900 I love and will still love come the launch of Apollo.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
IF any update that comes around that time frame of year is NOT Apollo, then people need to quit acting like it's a betrayal and stop taking it personal. I want WP7 to succeed because I don't like the other options. They aren't bad, I just don't prefer them at all. If that means we don't get Apollo and there's good business sense behind it then so be it. If we find out that it was completely possible and they just didn't want to do it, THEN we can all get butt-hurt. New phones are always coming with new software versions and updated hardware. That's not suddenly a new thing. Use your 900 for a year then buy a new device or stick it out till the end of contract, the same as we've been doing before Apollo.

Now I'm going to go back to playing with the 900 I love and will still love come the launch of Apollo.

The issue isn't telling those people to stop complaining. The real issue is whether the mass market will warm to Windows Phone. The main problem isn't about WP7 to Apollo, it's the lack of apps and lack of iCloud-like features. F.e., right now settings are just local on the phone. On any iPhone all your app settings get persisted to your iCloud account. So if you need to get a new iPhone for whatever reason, the restore option literally restores everything the way it was. That's a huge selling point right now.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The issue isn't telling those people to stop complaining. The real issue is whether the mass market will warm to Windows Phone. The main problem isn't about WP7 to Apollo, it's the lack of apps and lack of iCloud-like features. F.e., right now settings are just local on the phone. On any iPhone all your app settings get persisted to your iCloud account. So if you need to get a new iPhone for whatever reason, the restore option literally restores everything the way it was. That's a huge selling point right now.

I agree, but it was years before Apple implemented it. That's not an excuse, just saying MS has to pick and choose when to deploy things strategically. All of this requires serious back end support and they can't afford to screw anything up. They're doing this big picture. Android is a good example of trying to shove so many things in the pipe that it causes a lot of headaches. Sure it's full of features and flexibility...when it works (but not across all devices!).

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but it was years before Apple implemented it. That's not an excuse, just saying MS has to pick and choose when to deploy things strategically. All of this requires serious back end support and they can't afford to screw anything up. They're doing this big picture. Android is a good example of trying to shove so many things in the pipe that it causes a lot of headaches. Sure it's full of features and flexibility...when it works (but not across all devices!).

MS doesn't have the same luxuries of time to do things the way Apple did; that's the benefit of being a market leader vs. playing catch up. MS doesn't have a lot or wiggle room here, with 5% market share.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess I could retract my statement and say all 2nd Gen devices may get updated, but 1st Gen devices forget it for sure. It wouldn't make sense to, as hardly ANYONE (unless they REALLY didn't know what they were buying) has a 1st Gen Windows Phone that is not up and ready to be replaced for another Windows Phone. It would make sense to cut them off, but cutting 2nd Gen devices would be suicide.
So you just forget about Verizon and Sprint WP customers (myself included) and leave them stuck with Mango (or hopefully Tango) until they're contract expires?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So you just forget about Verizon and Sprint WP customers (myself included) and leave them stuck with Mango (or hopefully Tango) until they're contract expires?

You're more than likely up for a contract renewal now, or your ETF would be so cheap that you could pay out of your contract by now.....

That's how I think they see it...as least for 1st Gen devices

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Irrelevant. Microsoft says they are still committed to ALL current devices. Not 1.5 gen and above not 2nd gen and above. ALL

Last edited:

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You're more than likely up for a contract renewal now, or your ETF would be so cheap that you could pay out of your contract by now.....

That's how I think they see it...as least for 1st Gen devices
I'm on a family plan so I can't terminate it. I'd rather wait next year when better devices come.

Irrelevant. Microsoft says they are still committed to ALL current devices. Not 1.5 gen and above not 2nd gen and above. ALL
I know they are. That's why I'm not believing any of these rumors.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
So if Microsoft release Apollo for all devices and att doesn't push it that means Microsoft didn't support the device?

if MS release APOLLO for all Device AT&T wont have a choice to ALSO release it to all its phones.

carriers have no control on whether or not they release updates.
all they do is grab the update from MS add network or carrier related FIXES/test then release to the world.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Historically this hasn't been the case, but let's see where your train of thought leads....

all they do is grab the update from MS add network or carrier related FIXES/test then release to the world.

Your next sentence contradicts the first. If the carriers must (a) grab the update from MS, (b) add network/carrier fixes (c) test (d) release, then it seems they have a great deal of control as to whether or not they release updates.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Historically this hasn't been the case, but let's see where your train of thought leads....

Your next sentence contradicts the first. If the carriers must (a) grab the update from MS, (b) add network/carrier fixes (c) test (d) release, then it seems they have a great deal of control as to whether or not they release updates.

Historically this hasn't been true? hmm yes it has!
did all carrier not release NODO and MANGO! yep they did! why? cause they need too!

they only *updates* carrier dont NEED to release are smal updates like the fixes we got for the keyboard , tethering or general maintenance updates because not ALL phone models/carrier needs them.

and carriers that DO NOT take in each minor updates / fixes will Automatically have them in the next major updates (tango, Apollo ) because MS will Cook them into the update like they DID in the past with mango.

major updates : NODO , mango , Apollo , tango = no choice.

Last edited:

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Historically this hasn't been true? hmm yes it has!
did all carrier not release NODO and MANGO! yep they did! why? cause they need too!

And they've released precious little since then. My GNex has recieved multiple updates in that time span.

You've claimed on multiple occasions that carriers have some sort of obligation to either release ever other update, or release major updates or some variation of that, to "all" phones, where you either imply or state categorically that "all" means "every wp7 phone ever made" and "major update" means something other than the updates they've failed to release.

I've repeatedly asked you for your source for this claim, preferably including the details from the contract that provides some sort of definition for what "release" or "major update" means and what "all phones" means, so we can get some idea of the scope of the carrier's actual commitment and how much flexibility they have in weaselling out.

I'm still waiting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenneatler