Mobile Data dropping out after 8.1

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Have searched the threads and can't find this one.

After I upgraded to 8.1 everything works fine (wi-fi solid as a rock), but my mobile data connection drops out all the time. This doesn't just affect IE11 but ALL apps that use the internet (Facebook, Twabbit, eBay, etc).

I have tried:

- Selecting the network provider myself, and using Automatic
- manually entering the APN (on 3 UK, three.co.uk)
- creating a new Access Point with the APN
- turning Wifi Sense off
- turning roaming on/off
- setting highest speed to 3G (not 4G)

In all cases, I get a few minutes of mobile data and then it stops. Calls and texts are unaffected.

I guess the next step is a hard reset.

Anyone seem this?

Thanks for any help.

Nokia Lumia 1020, Three UK SIM

bteskera

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Try manually entering the APN, but leave proxy and port empty.
This fixes issue when IE not show web sites on cellular data but "...DNS error"

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
OK, ttsoldier. Bit the bullet and did a factory reset. Restored all.

Mobile data worked for a few minutes, then stopped again.

bteskera, that's how my APN was setup anyway. But created a new one with "three.co.uk" and nothing else. Activate this and again mobile data works for a few minutes, then stops.

Am at a loss as what else to try. This is making my phone unuseable!

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
After further investigation, I find the following. I now have two, identical Access Points (the official Three one that was configured automatically and my own manual one).

If mobile data stops and I go to Settings --> Access Point and I activate the non-active one, mobile data starts again.

Leave the phone for a few minutes and it stops! Almost like my mobile data is being timed-out....

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that you have it on 3 UK too. (I know of someone else who has a 1020 on 3 but does NOT see this problem.)

Yesterday, I disabled "run in background" for all apps that I could. Went out and about and it seemed better - maybe some app is causing the problem?

Will also try to borrow someone's SIM card (from a different network) to see if that makes a difference.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Rogers ativ s. It was bugging up and data fine. I did a factory reset, now everything works except my data connection...

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I turned off all background tasks (as above) and have been out and about for the last day or so. Mobile data working fine!

I am gradually turning them back on again to see if I can work out what the culprit is.

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue for 2 days. sometimes when the reception is poor, then it just dies out or something.
I'm on 3 Hong Kong with a 1020
I gave up on the 2nd day during lunch because there was no way to get it working. after I left the restaurant it seems to have gone back to normal. so I was thinking if it was a reception thing..
I had a 520 (NOT on 8.1 preview) nearby also on 3 HK and it worked fine.

Mugwump00

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello Toby,

You have/had the same problem as me with my Ativ S. I'm also on Three, but I found the same issue with my wife's Vodafone SIM as well. How are you doing with isolating the background task responsible (if that theory is still true)? I've embarked on disabling everything too, I'll post updates...

Last edited:

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi Mugwump00

Since disabling all apps background tasks on Sunday morning, I've had maybe two drop outs. It was every few minutes so a definite improvement.

These I work-around by activating another (identical) Three APN.

Have been turning apps background tasks back on. So far Facebook (not the beta), Podcast Lounge, Calendar have been reactivated without sudden loss of data.

Did turn another one back-on (Endomondo Sports Tracker) and lost data quite quickly afterwards. Too early to say if this was a coincidence. Will try again later.

Mugwump00

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I disabled everything, and have re-enabled some essentials, one-by-one, and so-far so good. Thanks a million for the tip, it's been a miserable few weeks of commuting without a reliable Deezer and Here Drive!

dellywheel

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Toby,
I've got exactly the same problem Nokia 1020 dropping 4G after a few minutes after windows phone 8.1 upgrade. I'm on 3 as well. Did you get any further with this? Not sure its worth contacting 3 as its an early upgrade.
Cheers

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Not really got any further. Stopping all background tasks and just enabling a few improves it. It now goes a day or so without a dropout. Then may do it twice in a few minutes. Haven't been able to find a "smoking gun" app that definitely triggers it.

Keep meaning to try another non-3 SIM to see if that helps.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
but as i think mine is stable......................... . :) :smile:
if you have stores problem , check your store seetings. Maybe you have selected to only update on wifi.

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Having same problem, Nokia Lumia 920 on 3 UK

Tried lots of things, network no longer set to automatic, readded apn settings but still lose data connection regularly and have to toggle flight mode on and off to get it back.

The common connection does seem to be 3 UK and Windows Phone 8.1. Hope this gets resolved as it's a royal pain...

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Not tried toggling the flight mode - but probably does the same as toggling APNs.

Have tweeted this thread to @ThreeUKSupport to hopefully give them a heads-up. (I know 8.1 is not official yet, but soon will be.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos