8.1 Developer Preview Everything Music Thread

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My playlist that I create for when I go to bed it 6 songs long. After a day or so the app will duplicate all the songs on the list to where i will have 144 songs at the end of the week smh, this is getting crazy

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^yea that happens to me too. After lengthy observation I think it's a bug related to shuffle. if you play the playlist with shuffle on, and then go into the playlist and scroll up and down really fast, the app will duplicate the whole list several times!
download the Diagnostics app and let them know about the bug! this must be fixed.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a bug where a few of my albums doesn't have album arts. I've checked to make sure that before copying over, they do have album arts on my computer. I even downloaded the app which lets me bring back the old music hub and the album arts are there. Even in the car dash app, the album arts are there. Anyone knows how to fix this??

Unfortunately, like it's been stated, the only way I found was a hard reset. The bloody database never updates no matter how much it's "Searching for songs"...

And that's good for every tag you'll try to change (artist, album, song title, etc.)

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, like it's been stated, the only way I found was a hard reset. The bloody database never updates no matter how much it's "Searching for songs"...

And that's good for every tag you'll try to change (artist, album, song title, etc.)

Only in the Xbox Music App, the other apps seem to read the metatags etc fine.

I'm getting extremely frustrated and I'm really patient

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Last night I did a hard reset and reformatted my 64gb sdcard. I then put all my music in the sdcard's music folder (11,700 mp3s) that was created by the phone. I had one album that the art would not show but did show in the old Music hub and I found the problem. Somehow it had multiple album covers embedded in the files. I cleared out the covers and then just embedded one and it solved the issue. Everything loads fine now, still slow but much better than before. I made sure the search for the cloud was turned off in the settings. Also, it appears that the app will sort by album artist if it is present (which is what I actually prefer). I wonder if that makes a big difference in how the app reacts. For your local collection things seem to have improved for me.

Asharon Baltazar

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
My question right now is why is this app worse (for syncing / performance) than the Xbox Music app that was recently released as a preview for WP8? I never had the black screen issues, and syncing seemed to work a lot better. Overall performance was much better. Somehow the quality went down from the Xbox Music PREVIEW that was released for 8, to the Music app for 8.1. Can we get an app developer to make a better 3rd party one? :-\

Oh, and there was a "never use data" option, not just "don't show streaming music" because even with that turned off it still plays some cloud-only music. Found that out the hard way the other day.

Xpider, this is the reason why I and others are worried. We get that it's a preview, but the music experience on Windows phone has NEVER improved. I've had WP7.5 phones, WP8 phones, and now 8.1, and with ever iteration it gets a little worse (or a lot)
That's why I'm worried.

There's good ol' (new) OneMusic. I want just want to know how's the music experience on native Windows Phone 8.1 devices. Aren't they built for it?

rehsak

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I create a playlist on xbox music, add some songs to it and save it. But after sometime when I revisit the playlist, it shows zero songs in it. And this keeps happening again and again. This bug is driving me nuts. Any solutions?

Clint Finch

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Before today's update, XBM would it at least recognize I had playlists of local music sync'd via Windows Media player on my Win 7 desktop, even if it showed them w/0 song. If I tried to play them in XBM or accidentally told Cortana to play one of the playlists, it immediately corrupted them and my other music apps - like Listen and Car Dash which did play them correctly -- no longer saw them. Essentially, they disappeared. Now, post update, even opening XBM is apparently enough to totally nerf them, rendering them again invisible to any music app on my phone. Thanks MS.... really #!@#%#%@! solid job.... whole damn team should be fired because it's obvious they don't know what the hell they're doing.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's so screwed up that I'm starting to wonder if it's not like that on purpose...

Ben from Microsoft should do a comparison video with Xbox Music...

"Sure your music player is great but but can your iPhone do this? Look at this! I open up Xbox Music, now we wait a little while for it to load. Alright now that's it loaded, as you can see it's searching for music so we'll just wait a couple of seconds more. Alright it's done. So, I open up my Artists and I get a list of all the artists I have in my music. OK wait for it, I know no artist names are showing now but with each update, they show up faster. Now we'll scroll down the list. And as you can see, most artist names are not showing so you have to wait for them to appear. Nice and mellow right?

But that's not all, check this out! Open the Albums section and look at this! As you can see, most albums have a grey album art! Nice huh?

Now let's head into the Songs section. As you can see here, there's a song called 'Waltz of the Flowers from The Nutcracker' by Tchaikovsky. But in fact, this is 'The Long and Winding Road' from The Beatles! Xbox Music just ignores your ID3 Tags to put its own! Pretty sweet huh?"

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what everyone is doing but here is what worked perfect for me. I hard reset the phone, had the phone reformat my 64gb sdcard. The phone created it's own music folder on the sdcard. I then copied all my music on the sdcard by pulling out the card and using my PC. I copied my music in the Music folder on the sdcard- the directory structure looks like this: Music/Artist name/Album name/ mp3 file. All my music has embedded album art using Mp3tag. I have eleven thousand five hundred mp3s and nine hundred and forty albums. Everything has been prefect now. All my album art shows correctly both in Xbox Music and Onemusic.It is definately using the embedded art because I have quite a few albums that I know are using custom album art that I embedded. Xbox music is noticably faster now that I have all my music in the Music folder that the phone created on my sdcard. Prior to the hard rest all my music was on a seperate folder called music collection on the sdcard and it was a lot slower.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty much what I did but I also did a hard reset because the Xbox Music database didn't update with the new tags. There one album where the art doesn't show up. It seems a little random...

Tup3x

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the worst music players ever.... I had my pieces tagged the way I want with correct names and album art but this thing has decided that it knows better. I really wonder why they can't give us option to disable that horrible feature and and option to revert the changes it made (I'm quite sure that it does not actually touch the actual music files but just the internal database).

Majority of my tracks are fine but it's still so annoying that it ruined few.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the worst music players ever.... I had my pieces tagged the way I want with correct names and album art but this thing has decided that it knows better. I really wonder why they can't give us option to disable that horrible feature and and option to revert the changes it made (I'm quite sure that it does not actually touch the actual music files but just the internal database).

Majority of my tracks are fine but it's still so annoying that it ruined few.

Normally your actual tags are not affected. It's just the way the app shows them. But they should indeed let you turn it off like they did in the Music+Video hub or the Xbox Music app on Windows 8.1.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I FINALY got XBM to behave properly with album art and my metadata!!!!!! It only took me 15 hours of experimenting to get it to work (totally lost a day :angry: ).

Let's cover what didn't work: Copying the files via file explorer (I have an SD card so I tried copying the files with the card in the phone and taking it out and copying files to it via my SD card reader), or the windows phone app, or the windows phone program. All of them in the end, XBM would just hork the Album Art or the meta data.

In a last ditch effort I again tried "Windows Media Player" (WMP). And low and behold everything went over properly.

One couple of things I found along the way: You have to organize your music on your PC this way: \Music\<Artists>\<Album>\<Songs> if by chance you get an <Album> outside the <Artists> directory/folder, and sync with WMP the Album art will be blank or wrong.

In WMP, make sure everything every thing is the way you want it. If you had to make changes to an album, song, make sure you do a right click on the album and select "Update album info" to commit the changes. (you might want to Bing how to manage your collection with WMP).

After that, and I made sure XBM had updated it's own database to be blank, reconnected the phone to my PC and started WMP and used it to sync/copy my music to the phone. Another thing I noticed this time, that with WP8.1 and the new XBM, when syncing with WMP, it no longer re-transcodes my music to a lower bit rate like it did before. It just does a straight copy.

When all the files are copied over, close WMP, disconnect the phone, REBOOT the phone, then start XBM and let it scan for new files. Depending on how big your collection is, it may take awhile, but when it say's it's "done" start browsing your collection in XBM and be patient. Even though XBM say's it's done, it still has to do some house keeping to display the lists.

But I am still completely dumbfounded that good old WMP sync'd everything properly, and that new Windows Phone App/Program couldn't.

By chance, if something still isn't showing properly in XBM. Delete the songs in XBM on the phone, and again make sure XBM doesn't show them before proceeding. Then go back to WMP, make changes, then re-sync just those songs.

Give it a try...

P.S.
I you have lock screen password, turn it off before you start the sync process on a large collection. Because when the screen locks, it will lock out and block the connection and you will get errors.

Last edited:

123gettothechopper

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Well something strange happened today. I had downloaded a song of Clean Bandits new album (hate it btw) and today while using Listen it showed album art. Maybe Xbm is back to its roots...^_^

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I suggest all you guys to mass-delete the XBOX Music and mass-download Music Hub Tile. It's your old music player and works splendid...been using it for 2 days ..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon