Problems "resuming..."

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 925 and all of a sudden most of my apps try to launch and take about 10 seconds and half the time, they say "resuming...", there's another 5 second wait and then I get a crash to the home screen and I can't load the app again unless I reboot or wait several minutes. I couldn't even get my calendar open just now!
1. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone heard of this?
2. Is there any point to having the preview anymore? The problem is I don't think Denim ever came out in France for my phone.

Thanks for ANY input. I'd appreciate it. Very irritated.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you perform a soft reset. Just hold Volume down and power for approximately 10 to 15 seconds (until the device vibrates) and release both buttons. You may have to set your date and time again afterwards. In most cases this resolves issues like the ones you're experiencing.
Another thing I've read every now and then is that these issues could be related to the Cortana live tile.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This happen to me in two cases.1. Too many apps open. 2. Lock screen app is still open. You can see it in the multi task view (long press back button).

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This happen to me in two cases.1. Too many apps open. 2. Lock screen app is still open. You can see it in the multi task view (long press back button).

Point 2 could be a possible reason (if he's using something like Tetra Lockscreen or the Live Lockscreen Beta). Your first point though is irrelevant, considering the way how multitasking in Windows Phone works. There's no possible impact on an app, regardless of how many other apps are "running in the background" (which in fact isn't happening anyways).

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Point 2 happens to me without any lockscreen app but the standard one. And point 1 happens also. I know Windows is managing the tasks, but this seems not to work well in TP.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Point 2 happens to me without any lockscreen app but the standard one. And point 1 happens also. I know Windows is managing the tasks, but this seems not to work well in TP.

See, there aren't any apps really running in the background. Once you leave an app (using the Windows Button or task switcher), their state is frozen so to say. Comparable to hibernation if you so want.
I've never seen that happen using the OS lockscreen, tbh. On none of the devices in our household. You might want to try and soft reset your device as well. Like I've said above, these are issues that a simple soft reset most often can resolve.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Problems "resuming..."

I have no lock screen apps and I hardly have any apps running at all when this happens, though as we've discussed, this isn't an issue in WP anyway. I'll try the soft reset and report back.

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Things would appear to be running better. I don't get why my phone can't find my network on its own and set the time and date but launching of apps seem sto have gone back to normal.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it but in actual fact the problem hasn't gone away, at least not with whatsapp. Resumming.. and crash over and over again.

UPDATE: Starting to happen again with all other apps. Is there not anyone else who's had this recurring problem?

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it but in actual fact the problem hasn't gone away, at least not with whatsapp. Resumming.. and crash over and over again.

UPDATE: Starting to happen again with all other apps. Is there not anyone else who's had this recurring problem?

If you're still experiencing these issues, especially with crashing apps, then it's most likely due to some hardware defect. My wife's Lumia 920 was acting kinda similar. Apps that previously were running fine, started crashing all the time. This behavior started to spread across more and more apps. I tried and hard reset her phone, but unfortunately that didn't change anything. In the end it turned out that the motherboard had a defect and needed to be replaced. After the device was returned from repair, it worked like a charm again.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

You could TRY updating to GDR2 and see how it works out. From what my friends are telling me, app loading is appreciably faster on it. Not phenomenally faster, but enough to be noticeable. Might even fix the crashing bug (if it's not a hardware defect, as dKP1977 pointed out.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're still experiencing these issues, especially with crashing apps, then it's most likely due to some hardware defect....
Well, I hope not because I don't think my warranty is valid anymore and I don't have insurance with my carrier.

You could TRY updating to GDR2...
If GDR2 is the developers preview then I already have it. If not, what does GDR2 stand for?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
If GDR2 is the developers preview then I already have it. If not, what does GDR2 stand for?

GDR2 is 8.1.2 which is *not* available through the PFD app. It is actually available through Windows Insider, the app people can use to try out the Windows 10 Technical Preview. You should un-enrol yourself from preview for devs before doing this. You install Insider app, sign up for insider program on the website, and go for the fast ring in the app. Disable automatic update install in settings and then check for updates. It *might* show you the 8.1.2 update (which, for some devices, installs first and then W10 comes with another update).

It's not guaranteed you'll get the update to show up, but if you can get it, it's probably worth checking out IMO. Don't install W10 if that's the update you see.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I've already got the insider account and app.
1. How do I un-enroll from the dev preview?
2. Are there any bugs with 8.1.2? What benefits does it have and what could I possibly lose?
3. If I unenroll from the dev review will I be able to get it back? I ask because my 925 hasn't gotten Denim here in France yet (I don't think) and I don't want to lose what I've got now, even if it's not working great. Any way to check what insider will offer me first without going through the unenroll process?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I've already got the insider account and app.
1. How do I un-enroll from the dev preview?
2. Are there any bugs with 8.1.2? What benefits does it have and what could I possibly lose?
3. If I unenroll from the dev review will I be able to get it back? I ask because my 925 hasn't gotten Denim here in France yet (I don't think) and I don't want to lose what I've got now, even if it's not working great. Any way to check what insider will offer me first without going through the unenroll process?

1. Open the PFD app, and uncheck the box to unregister from it, and tap "done" to unenroll from it.
2. You won't lose anything (if you have the unlocked model, and aren't enjoying some carrier-specific thing). The benefits aren't huge (besides the sorted settings menu, and other minor things), but the app load times have improved noticeably, as I said. It might be worth your while to try it out, maybe it will fix the crashing bugs.

3. In all fairness, the friend of mine who got the 8.1.2 update on his 925 was already running the Denim update, and AFTER that had the latest PFD updates installed. His phone was the Bouygues carrier model (unlocked) which didn't have Denim release, but he flashed the international French country variant ROM and it works just fine; any ROM for the RM-892 will run on it, so if you match the RM model code of your device you can get the official Denim ROM of another country and it'll run fine. You can do that using the process listed here. It's not as complicated as it looks. Your phone will not downgrade to an older version if you unenroll from the PFD app. The only way to check if you're getting the 8.1.2 update through Insider is to try it for yourself. But yours and my friend's case are similar enough that I am pretty certain you'll get it if you do what he did.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
3. In all fairness, the friend of mine who got the 8.1.2 update on his 925 was already running the Denim update, and AFTER that had the latest PFD updates installed. His phone was the Bouygues carrier model...
I'm actually on Bouygues myself but my phone is from SFR, and it is unlocked. So, I'm on the developer preview and the phone tells me I'm on version 8.10.14234.375

UPDATE: I just tried running Insider and it looks like it only wants to give me Windows 10 updates.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually on Bouygues myself but my phone is from SFR, and it is unlocked. So, I'm on the developer preview and the phone tells me I'm on version 8.10.14234.375

UPDATE: I just tried running Insider and it looks like it only wants to give me Windows 10 updates.

Well, if a hard reset didn't fix your issue, it MIGHT be possible that there is a bug in your firmware. It's hard to track down. As a last-ditch effort you could try and get (any) country's official Denim update that matches your RM number through that link about debranding Lumias (I am assuming you have RM-892 as well). Try the French or Finnish ROMs. If that doesn't solve it, update to the latest PFD version, unenroll, and try the Insider app again (to get 8.1.2). If all of that effort doesn't fix it, I suppose the only option left would be to hand it in to Nokia Care.

Good Luck!

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually not sure how this update happened. :grin:
I turned off Preview for developers. I turned on Windows Insider, it looked like it was going to start downloading Windows 10, I exited out and just uninstalled Insider. 30 seconds later, this update came through? Does that mean Bouygues was waiting to give me this update but I was on the dev preview so it couldn't?
So, now it says, I'm on 8.1 Update 2 - 8.10.15116.125. It says I'm on Cyan now. I thought Update 2 was always Denim? Confused...

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually not sure how this update happened. :grin:
I turned off Preview for developers. I turned on Windows Insider, it looked like it was going to start downloading Windows 10, I exited out and just uninstalled Insider. 30 seconds later, this update came through? Does that mean Bouygues was waiting to give me this update but I was on the dev preview so it couldn't?
So, now it says, I'm on 8.1 Update 2 - 8.10.15116.125. It says I'm on Cyan now. I thought Update 2 was always Denim? Confused...

Yay :D

Carriers aren't releasing 8.1.2 for the 925. Your phone must have found the update before you uninstalled Insider. It's recommended you hard reset because your phone might get the W10 update if it's still configured to pull updates from the Insider servers. Simply uninstalling it might not be enough.

Also, firmware updates are independent of OS updates to a degree. The 8.1.1 you were running without Denim is proof of that. Basically the 925 doesn't get anything with Denim firmware, so it's purely an OS update anyway. You should at this point simply not care what the firmware is as long as the OS is up to date.

Did it fix your issues? Any improvements?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Did it fix your issues? Any improvements?
Well, I'd have to say that after extensive testing of several apps in several ways that yes, there is an improvement. But whatsapp does still do the resuming and crash thing. Just not as often. But there is a marked improvement in the operation of the phone and I didn't even do a hard reset.
I'm not understanding the Cyan/Denim vs 8.1.1/8.1.2 thing. What exactly is Cyan/Denim and the different versions and how do I notice each?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenneatler