Reasons I'm still buying a Windows Phone 8...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Alright...

With the:

A) Nokia's event supposedly gone not as expected by the tech community (or at least some as some of us had expected)

B) The "fake ad" debacle

C) and then the entire debate of spec vs performance,

there is a lot of negativity around WP8.

So I take upon myself this task of showing everyone some reasons why I, for one, am still buying a WP8, without doubt.

So here it is:

1. Security.

The single biggest reason I am buying a Windows Phone 8. Specs, performance, camera all become redundant if u can't even start your system.

These 2 write-ups have played the biggest and the most crucial role in me taking this decision of jumping from Android to WP:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-dodges-black-hat-2012-certificate-vulnerability

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1722623

2. Hardware:

Spec vs Performance is a raging battle today on many forums. And I choose performance. Yes. I proudly choose to be on the side of performance as I believe that's what should sell a product.

As someone rightly said, Samsung is to be blamed. Samsung is the one offering cores after cores, upping RAM speeds but for a platform that IS resource hungry. WP is not. Even on standard specs, WP flies.

So, hardware-wise I don't NEED an octa-core to boast...I will boast about my phone when I smoke them! :D

3. Futureproof.

One word says it all, NT Kernel(OK that's two words :p)

Even though MS had pissed many WP7 users off with their move of changing the kernel, they have secured themselves for the future.

NT, as I read somewhere, supports up to 64 cores was, alone enough for me to understand why this move was so crucial at this stage.

So, the future looks bright, spare some mishaps.

And joining WP now will only mean a secured tomorrow for us.

Comments??

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Uh, technically speaking, NT Kernel is 3 words (New Technology Kernel)! :lol:

I agree with you entirely, and I will add a few reasons:

4. Usability -- WP8 is different but easy to use and very discoverable. A user can pick it up and without reading any instructions can figure out what they're doing pretty quickly through simple discovery.

5. Stability -- How many of us with WP7 currently have to reboot our phones more than one a month or longer? I think the last time I rebooted my phone it was because I ran out of battery on a REALLY long day of use.

6. Compatibility -- With Microsoft moving the platforms together more and more, we're going to see a whole new realm of compatibility and cross-platform apps. Your documents and settings follow you based on SkyDrive, and that makes for a very exciting ecosystem AND user experience.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Uh, technically speaking, NT Kernel is 3 words (New Technology Kernel)! :lol:

I agree with you entirely, and I will add a few reasons:

4. Usability -- WP8 is different but easy to use and very discoverable. A user can pick it up and without reading any instructions can figure out what they're doing pretty quickly through simple discovery.

5. Stability -- How many of us with WP7 currently have to reboot our phones more than one a month or longer? I think the last time I rebooted my phone it was because I ran out of battery on a REALLY long day of use.

6. Compatibility -- With Microsoft moving the platforms together more and more, we're going to see a whole new realm of compatibility and cross-platform apps. Your documents and settings follow you based on SkyDrive, and that makes for a very exciting ecosystem AND user experience.

Personnally I have to reboot my phone once in a while, the keyboard is lagging, sometime it doubles the letters, sometimes it just wont work and my battery shows 80% charge when it's full so I reboot it and it's fine. I don't believe that WP is superior to any other OS, simply different and I like it.

On the other hand, my step dad who is a die hard Android ****** is starting to se WP8 as a good alternative to iOS and Android. Even if he hates talking about smartphones with WP7 users who try to convince him to trash his HTC One X for a Lumia 900 since he sees it as a low end device with an unfinished and poor OS. So I think WP8 has that game changing wind behind it, but it's only if the carriers push it hard enough that WP8 will gain momentum.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen ANY negativity surrounding Wp8. Even peeps I speak to who aren't big fans of Wp7 have been saying it looks real nice.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen ANY negativity surrounding Wp8. Even peeps I speak to who aren't big fans of Wp7 have been saying it looks real nice.

May be there isn't. But the Lumia "fake ad" has pretty much brought its share of...umm...shall I say...disappointment?

Or the entire "We want more" or "Where are the details" movement...

May be I saw that as negativity...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, I thought you were talking about negativity surround the OS as an additional point. I 'd realise you were summarising. :)

Nokia may have embarrassed themselves with their sneaky stunt, but that's about it. The tech still exists and bloggers, sites, people have been raving about the Luma 920. Sure, threads were being opened left, right, and centre here with people whining about weight, thickness, colour, fake ads, Nokia letting me down, Nokia ruined my life, blah blah blah, but we're talking about a really selective minority here.

I guess it's all perception, but I haven't witnessed ANYTHING to make me reconsider Wp8. Instead, IMO, Nokia has done a grand job in bringing hardware to WP that Android/iPhone would love to get their hands on.

Just wait until these devices are in the shops. The screens alone will have people salivating.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is future proof. Nothing to say they wont change the kernel in 2 years to something new and revolutionary. Remember, "No one will ever need more than 640k memory."

I am happy with the outlook for wp8 though. Or actually 8.5 as that will be my upgrade window. Hopefully some new phone styles come with that generation.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Personnally I have to reboot my phone once in a while, the keyboard is lagging, sometime it doubles the letters, sometimes it just wont work and my battery shows 80% charge when it's full so I reboot it and it's fine. I don't believe that WP is superior to any other OS, simply different and I like it.

Yeah, I don't mean to call it perfect, although I'd consider your issues to be more related to HTC than Windows Phone OS. On the Titan 1, I do have issues with my Wi-Fi connection periodically and call quality issues, but those are documented Titan issues.

It's just part of why I'm leaving HTC (after 5 years) for Nokia. I can at least count on Nokia to release updates and fixes once in a while.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh no...may be i wasn't clear enough in the beginning. My bad.

I never meant the OS was bad. Never. (I had bought the HD7 in the first week of its release!!)

Anyways...i absolutely agree. The phones are sexy to say the least.

Nokia could do a lot, and I really mean a LOT, more than what they did...But I don't much care for Nokia TBH. HTC is my first love... :)

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't mean to call it perfect, although I'd consider your issues to be more related to HTC than Windows Phone OS. On the Titan 1, I do have issues with my Wi-Fi connection periodically and call quality issues, but those are documented Titan issues.

It's just part of why I'm leaving HTC (after 5 years) for Nokia. I can at least count on Nokia to release updates and fixes once in a while.
I always loved Samsung, I never had a single problem with my samsung devices, except my Galaxy s1, but my focus and older samsung phones were good devices, I'm not sure that my experience with HTC is even comparable. This is why I am salivating for the ATIV s FINALLY a high end WP8 and Samsung made it, it's also gorgeous on top of that.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I Still like Android but want to try something else and windows phone has always been my favorite OS.

Probably going to get the 820 or Ativ S as they are most likely to go to T-mobile

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I Still like Android but want to try something else and windows phone has always been my favorite OS.

Probably going to get the 820 or Ativ S as they are most likely to go to T-mobile

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
The 820 is low end, I was disapointed when I saw the specs...

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a low end device. remember when the 900 launched Nokia was replacing th 800 with the 900 and the 710 with the 610. that is how they are doing it with this. but this is with a mid range device

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Not seeing it. It's processing specs and integrated features match the 920 everywhere but the camera and the screen, with a trade off for the 32gb and no micro sd slot against 8gb and a micro sd slot . Don't get me wrong, the 820 is not a high end device. . When I think low end I'm thinking 3.7" and lower, single core processor, less than a 1gb, and 5MP and under camera. The 820 does not sink to any of those levels, straddling the line between high and mid range devices.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
There is certainly a lot of reasons to buy one I don't know if I will do it at launch but I will probably get one eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes