I know a bit of C#, now what ?

Ciwan

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys

From my web development using ASP.net MVC, I know a bit of C#, but I now want to start developing Windows Phone 8 apps.

I have a few things that I would like to get clear, these are:

• Does developing for Windows Phone 8 differ from developing for Windows 8 (on home computers) ?
  • Where is the Windows Phone 8 SDK !?
  • I currently have no phone that runs Windows Phone 8 (I have an iPhone 4S < love it !), but to develop Windows Phone 8 apps, it is best that I have a phone that runs Windows Phone 8 to test my app on, which Windows Phone 8 phone do you recommend ?

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank You.

dazziex

May 18, 2012
Visit site
The official SDK is supposed to be unveiled on October 30th.

For the phone, I don't know how you should choose if it's for programming only. Perhaps start by coding on a simulator and buy the best seller phone after a couple months?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys

From my web development using ASP.net MVC, I know a bit of C#, but I now want to start developing Windows Phone 8 apps.

• Does developing for Windows Phone 8 differ from developing for Windows 8 (on home computers) ?
  • I currently have no phone that runs Windows Phone 8 (I have an iPhone 4S < love it !), but to develop Windows Phone 8 apps, it is best that I have a phone that runs Windows Phone 8 to test my app on, which Windows Phone 8 phone do you recommend ?

Thank You.

1. Windows Phone 8 uses something similar to the WinRT used in Windows 8. There will be subtle differences, but most non-front end code should port over well. WP8 doesn't support HTML5/JS apps like Windows 8 though.

2. Early access for some registered developers, it should be publicly available around Windows Phone 8 launch.

3. If you don't intend to actually use the phone, I'd probably go with whatever is cheapest. Every announce WP8 device should perform similarly, with the exception of the HTC 8S (less RAM and slower CPU). Though, that might actually be the best one to get if you want to make sure your app performs well across every device.

aer127

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you are only going to have one phone for development purposes, I would recommend buying a lower end phone. If your app performs well on the lower end phone, it will also perform well on a higher end phone. Vice versa is not necessarily true.

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The SDKs are reportedly very similar, with a lot of shared APIs. You won't get to "write once, run anywhere", but the porting will be much easier.

There's a full emulator as part of the SDK, but I think it's always good to have a device. You probably could survive with the emulator and a group of testers, but you'd probably want a decent computer so you get respectable performance. Don't think there's a chance of me doing that on my laptop.

Since it seems you want to target both Windows and Windows Phone, you probably should not opt for a WP7 device since it will (presumably) not run the WP8 apps coded against the new SDK. It's important to properly support the lowest common denominator that you will be catering for, so you might want to get a cheaper device.

Ideally, you'd want the worst phone, the best, and any weird outliers (for example, if a device only had 256MB of RAM). But obviously that isn't cost-effective.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It really does stink that you can't do the WinJS on WP8. I am working on a WinJS app on Window 8 right now and I think this would have been the most attractive option for developers.

Personally I'm a XAML/C# fan but XAML isn't something you pick up over night. I've done a little WPF and a good amount of Silverlight.

Hopefully they bring WinJS to WP8 to bring more developers and make conversion of those apps easier between Win 8 and WP8 like they currently talk about on the XAML side.

malcommenk

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

Thank You.

The language Microsoft uses is "shared core". What that means is that Windows Phone 8 will use the Windows kernel — and many of the Windows WinRT APIs. Applications will be able to use familiar calls for security and for networking, for file system access, for device drivers, and for graphics. You'll be able to use native C++ code alongside C# C# Tutorial , C# Help , C# Source Code and XAML — and you can mix and match development technologies — so an application may use a C++ business logic layer alongside a C# user interface.

Also check the following link about SDK Introducing Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - The Visual Studio Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

malcom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes