Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By F2a
  • 1 Post By F2a
  • 1 Post By TaliZorah
  • 2 Post By brmiller1976
  1. F2a
    F2a is offline
    F2a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #1  
    This is my one big issue with WP8. Right now, when you get a text message two things happen:

    1. The screen turns on
    2. The message is partially displayed on the top of the screen.

    We NEED to be able to disable both of these events!

    The first issue is the fact that other people can read your personal messages if they have access to your phone. Or at least the first part of them.

    But you know when you log into sites and they send you a confirmation code via text? They can possibly see that code now. For some sites that send you a code you might have to still know the password. But for a site like Outlook.com which sends you a code as an alternate to log in, this could be a real problem.

    Facebook code : The full code displays.

    Outlook.com code : Can see all by last 3 digits

    If this isn't fixed soon or there is a fix promised I will have to return my new phone and switch back to android.
    Thanked by:
    ashishdgamer likes this.
  2. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #2  
    You should start packing the phone back into it's box, because I can guarantee you there will not be any updates to change that behavior.
  3. lonbraj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    You should start packing the phone back into it's box, because I can guarantee you there will not be any updates to change that behavior.
    Sad, but Ryude might be totally right.
  4. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lonbraj View Post
    Sad, but Ryude might be totally right.
    See: Complaints about battery percent, accent colors (create your own), custom sms notifications, no forward button in IE, cannot close apps in multi-task view, and separate volume controls.
  5. F2a
    F2a is offline
    F2a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #5  
    Well, that makes me sad.
  6. glimited's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #6  
    Yes it would be a nice feature to have but if you're that concerned stop letting people have access to your phone. Or find better friends if you think they're going to take that information and use it against you.
  7. F2a
    F2a is offline
    F2a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #7  
    What if your phone gets stolen?
  8. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    See: Complaints about battery percent, accent colors (create your own), custom sms notifications, no forward button in IE, cannot close apps in multi-task view, and separate volume controls.
    That doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't listen:

    Microsoft changing Windows Phone WiFi behaviour in future update | Windows Phone Central

    Microsoft admits it 'ran out of time' on Windows Phone 8 notification center | The Verge
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  9. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by F2a View Post
    What if your phone gets stolen?
    I'll be honest--I suggest you either go the WP feature suggestion site, or try to get their attention on Twitter or something because I doubt Microsoft comes here to figure out what customers want from Windows Phone.

    I know people like to come here and tell us about features that are missing from Windows Phone, but I don't think anyone here works for Microsoft so there isn't much we can do.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  10. glimited's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by F2a View Post
    What if your phone gets stolen?
    Then contact the appropriate company to shut off your service? Use the 'find my phone' features to remotely lock, erase, etc. your data. If you're talking about your phone getting stolen its no different then your wallet getting stolen - there's a lot of confidential information but you can mitigate the damage.
  11. moc426's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #11  
    You can remotely lock your phone, wipe it and get its location.

    Quote Originally Posted by F2a View Post
    What if your phone gets stolen?
    Apps:
    Weather Smiles - Weather Live tile with 2 locations 1 tile and a smilie :)
    My 500px / My 500px Free - 500px website viewer plus upload, account access and lockscreen wallpaper
  12. F2a
    F2a is offline
    F2a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #12  
    Here it is guys: Turning off SMS Notification toast

    Please vote it up!

    Also, what is the deal with people being so complacent about improving WP8?! Don't let people touch my phone? Genius, thanks. Keep my phone faced down and look over my shoulder before I turn it over? Stop telling me half assed solutions for something that should be a simple setting I can check!
    ousooner314 likes this.
  13. abepm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by F2a View Post
    This is my one big issue with WP8. Right now, when you get a text message two things happen:

    1. The screen turns on
    2. The message is partially displayed on the top of the screen.

    We NEED to be able to disable both of these events!

    The first issue is the fact that other people can read your personal messages if they have access to your phone. Or at least the first part of them.

    But you know when you log into sites and they send you a confirmation code via text? They can possibly see that code now. For some sites that send you a code you might have to still know the password. But for a site like Outlook.com which sends you a code as an alternate to log in, this could be a real problem.

    Facebook code : The full code displays.

    Outlook.com code : Can see all by last 3 digits

    If this isn't fixed soon or there is a fix promised I will have to return my new phone and switch back to android.
    I just posted about this hours ago. This is very important for a lot of WP users. I'm having the same issue since WP7
  14. abepm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #14  
    Totally agree. I get annoyed by some if the people makings comments here. They are the most "tolerable" people ever... This problem is very important and it will be a deal breaker for some of us.
  15. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    #15  
    If it bothers you that much just wait the extra 5 seconds for the screen to go dark. Or if you can't handle that then just return the phone.

    I swear the littlest things make people return their phones haha.

    Apparently exclusive colors for the 8X are enough for some people to not get WP8 too. Good lord.

    It's simple, if something that isn't a big deal to most people IS a big deal to you then just get rid of it, it won't matter to anybody else.
    palandri likes this.
  16. brdl04's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    #16  
    Just another excuse to return a phone. This is coming from someone who probably doesn't use password lock anyway lol.
  17. abepm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    If it bothers you that much just wait the extra 5 seconds for the screen to go dark. Or if you can't handle that then just return the phone.

    I swear the littlest things make people return their phones haha.

    Apparently exclusive colors for the 8X are enough for some people to not get WP8 too. Good lord.

    It's simple, if something that isn't a big deal to most people IS a big deal to you then just get rid of it, it won't matter to anybody else.
    I love a lot of features the wp8 has. It is bad to ask some improvement from the company I keep investing in thru the years? I just want my phone to be better...
  18. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by abepm View Post
    I love a lot of features the wp8 has. It is bad to ask some improvement from the company I keep investing in thru the years? I just want my phone to be better...
    The OS is brand new. iPhone, Android... etc. are what they are today after YEARS, and YEARS of being on the market. WP does not have that yet. Personally I am more worried about a stable OS than something that has a VERY easy work-around that does not matter to most people. Would the option to hide messages be good? Yes. Is it make or break? Probably only to a few individuals.

    The fact that this is your number one concern with the OS tells me that all the important stuff on the phone must be working nicely.

    I mean if you know you are getting a text you don't want anybody to see, just wait 5 seconds then pull out your phone after you get the notification sound and the screen will be dark.

    OR slide the notification off to the side the second it comes in. If somebody is going to get a partial multi-digit code before you can swipe it away then they are a pro and would have got your security code anyways.

    You just worry too much.
  19. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #19  
    Frankly, if you're sending high-security, proprietary or confidential messages over the SMS/MMS network, your device should be taken from you and smashed with a sledgehammer just moments after your wireless service is cancelled.
    ncxcstud and TaliZorah like this.

Posting Permissions