(WP8) Creating a playlist the easy way...

SAMARTH KANG

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for this method. I am too one of many who are frustrated trying to figure out the music features on this phone. I have a Nokia N8 as well and I must say it has better music features than the Lumia 620. Why do I have to connect my phone to the PC all the time for simple tasks like playlist management? Ridiculous! What has happened to the developers at Microsoft? Seems like we must all learn app developement and create apps to rectify the 'blunders' by the overworked coders at Microsoft !

Nicholas Zanella

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a huge Itunes Library. I solved all my problems using a free program, MusicBridge. I even sent a donation. What you have to do if you are in a situation like mine (perfect iTunes library whose mp3tags won't be recognised by WindowsMediaPlayer) is: download MusicBridge, add the folders with your music to WMP's library, close WMP, sync gerneral information from iTunes with MusicBridge, re-open WMP and....your tags are all there.

Hope this helps. :)

jeffskent

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had 2 iPhones, about 8 iPods, several Sansa and such mp3 players, and ... the only device I have difficulty making playlists for is the Lumia 1020 even when I hook it up the the computer or try to do it in one of the multiple music players that come with the win 8 device. This is foolish on the part of MS as far as I can tell. They can't implement playlist making options that are at least 10 years old in the music playing device area? I have tried to make playlists in windows explorer to no avail. I try on the phone with no luck. I'll keep trying, but this doesn't speak well for the windows phone makers, as far as I can tell.

Dorgeous

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
This is fantastic, haven't been able to use playlists properly for 2 1/2 years on windows phones.
Easiest method i found was create a playlist from right clicking one song (too many caused a few errors) then adding, removing songs via the properties tab.

You guys are awesome. Cheers.

Sorin Balan

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I did a factory reset and lost all the music on the phone (including playlists).
This method doesen't work for me after Amber update. All the playlists I create apear empty (0 songs) in the phone's music player.
I don't understand why because before the update everything was ok.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the simple steps you gave. I managed to create one playlist. But when I try to create a second one by right clicking on another music folder I got the message "The New Playlist could not be created in this location. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I also notice that the first playlist I created, The playlist file first appear in the same music folder which I could change to teh name I want. But after that it disappear and could not be found anywhere, not in the music folder or the playlist folder. But I can see it in the phone and is working. Did you encounter the same problem? I am using Windows 7pro and Lumia 820.
Anybody know a solution to this? I just added some songs to a music folder, and was going to modify or just create a new playlist, and now I cannot find any of the 5 playlists I created previously--nowhere. This is on a Lumia 810 going into the SD card. I just did the same thing (same folders, songs, playlists, etc) to my Lumia 920 without issue, btw.

I tried booting the phone, and plugging it into two different Windows computers, and it made no difference...

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know a solution to this? I just added some songs to a music folder, and was going to modify or just create a new playlist, and now I cannot find any of the 5 playlists I created previously--nowhere. This is on a Lumia 810 going into the SD card. I just did the same thing (same folders, songs, playlists, etc) to my Lumia 920 without issue, btw.

I tried booting the phone, and plugging it into two different Windows computers, and it made no difference...
Well, I found an--awkward--workaround to add new music. Tried a bunch of stuff, re-formating the card, etc, to try and see/find the original playlists: to no avail. I finally deleted the playlists from the phone, deleted the folders/files from the "Music" folder on the card, created a new folder, "Music1" and filled that with my new music. I was able to create and re-name playlists there, that are now reflected on the 810. Of course, when I un-plugged the 810 USB and then re-plugged it back in, I cannot see the playlist files on the computer--as before. Oh well...

This is on Windows 7, if anyone cares.

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Same disaster here. It worked at first, it was very easy but then they disappeared. So after some trying different things, I was able to see the playlists using Windows 8.1 Phone app. I Had to make the playlist in WMP then go to the app and browse and add playlist but still cant create playlist as before but hey it's working. This really sucks Microsoft really wants you to join and pay for Xbox music(I believe that is why we cant create our own playlists easily), meanwhile losing market share because of idiotic things like this.

Update: so far so good. (This also solved duplicate songs issue)
1. Turned off Xbox music and cloud on phone. Deleted everything(hidden files included) from music folders on Sd and phone(usb) and using Sd card adapter on desktop.
2.Returned card to phone, installed WPtools and cleared Controls and History
3.Checked that no music was there.
4.Shut down and started phone.
5. Checked that there was absolutely no music on phone.
6.Ran WPtools and cleared Controls and History again.
7.Double checked to turn off Xbox music and cloud on phone.
8. Made all the playlists by adding list to WMP on the desktop.
9. Opened Windows Phone app in the Modern UI on my PC.
10.Add, select playlist, navigated to and selected playlist(one at a time works better), NO NEED TO ADD ACTUAL MUSIC files, the music is added automatically, just add the playlists. Also I only use the app to add music.
Shut down and powered on again and everything was good(haven't tried a soft reset [power+vol down] for fear of causing issues again).
Hopefully this holds up.

Last edited:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the simple steps you gave. I managed to create one playlist. But when I try to create a second one by right clicking on another music folder I got the message "The New Playlist could not be created in this location. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I also notice that the first playlist I created, The playlist file first appear in the same music folder which I could change to teh name I want. But after that it disappear and could not be found anywhere, not in the music folder or the playlist folder. But I can see it in the phone and is working. Did you encounter the same problem? I am using Windows 7pro and Lumia 820.

Well, I found an--awkward--workaround to add new music. Tried a bunch of stuff, re-formating the card, etc, to try and see/find the original playlists: to no avail. I finally deleted the playlists from the phone, deleted the folders/files from the "Music" folder on the card, created a new folder, "Music1" and filled that with my new music. I was able to create and re-name playlists there, that are now reflected on the 810. Of course, when I un-plugged the 810 USB and then re-plugged it back in, I cannot see the playlist files on the computer--as before. Oh well...

This is on Windows 7, if anyone cares.

If anyone is interested, I found the actual CAUSE of the issue. I posted it in the MS forums aswel just now, under my given name :
"This playlist could not be created in this location. The device - Microsoft Community

The Solution I found (you can recreate this issue easily after reading this) :

If the actual folder in which you create the playlist contains a "." or "&", you will get that specific error :

"This playlist could not be created in this location. The device has stopped responding or has been disconnected"

Eventhough you can create the folder like that, the playlist cannot be created if you create it in that folder or from that folder.
Rename the folder to a name that does not contain a "." or "&" in the syntax, and then go into the folder again and create the playlist.
The system will now no longer show that error message and block you from creating the playlist.

Two major FLAWS arrise here :

1. If the folder can be created like that, so should the playlist. They should both contain the same syntax restrictions to avoid such calamaties. Either the syntax restrictions for the folder names needs to be adjusted, or that of the playlist names.

2. The actuall ERROR that is displayed when this occurs has nothing to do with the actual issue (AS USUAL FROM MS...regarding that they will NEVER learn)...
And so it only adds confusion without being constructive in any way. Would be better to simply NOT show an error at all.

The solution doesn't involve any "awkward" work-arounds though, and is VERY simple, IF you know what is causing it.
Finding the actual "cause" proved the only difficult thing imo (it took me a few hours through event logging and such), simply because MS still fails to show a correct error message for any given error.

The error message simply "misleads" and has nothing to do with the actual cause, so I can understand WHY it is so hard to find the actual causes of such issues. If MS reflected a correct message upon such errors, we wouldn't have to spend our lives searching for the actual source of the error...

So to put short, if anyone gets that specific error message when trying to create a playlist, check the name of the folder and remove any "." and "&" that might be in the folder name !

Major fail for MS imo to overlook such a basic thing...very sloppy. You would think by now such childs deseases would be elliminated.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out a playlist work-around for 8.1? The upgrade messed up some of my playlists, and I'm having trouble recreating them using this method.

I should add, I'm having trouble with a 920, a 925, and an 810 (on SD).

hafeezpunjani

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Been having problems since the 8.1 update. I went on Xbox Music Website and deleted the playlists from there and then tried to start from scratch. Still having troubles though, but I think its just because of the new Xbox Music App

Amol More

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It worked thankx :) :) :)
I want to ask.. If i put 10 songs in a folder named "abc" in the music folder of my device.. I right click on this folder and create a playlist named "xyz"..
So now there will be a playlist named "xyz" in my phone..
1>> Now if i move those 10 songs from the "abc" folder to another folder in the music folder of my device.. Will the playlist play those songs as me have moved those songs??
2>> Now if i move those 10 songs from the "abc" folder to my memory card(sd card) of my device.. Will the playlist play those songs as me have moved those songs??

joeltanthuanewe

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
when i renamed the file, the file explorer went 'not responding' lololol.. so i just gave up.. safely removed and renamed it in my wp instead.. way easier. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte