Loading Music onto Phone without using Windows

jonathan_twite

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have just bought a Lumia 820 and want to transfer music to it. I currently do not have a Windows computer (new power cable in the post) as I use Linux for my work. Having bought an album through the phone, I can plug in my phone to my computer and see the file structure of the stored music. I therefore transfered another album onto the phone, but in the phone's music app, it does not read the new album. Everywhere I look online, people seem to say that you should be able to drag-and-drop files onto the phone, but how do I get the phone to recognise them?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me

EDIT: I don't have a XBox either

siulaymama

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Have not hook up my phone to linux yet, but in windows a simple file transfer works. What format is the album? I notice WP8 is kind of strict on codec, anything it won't play will not show up at all. "Standard" MP3 should be fine but some lossless codec wont work.

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is perhaps a very weird thing that I too saw. If you transfer your songs in Linux, the music player does not recognize it. The way I solved it was, are you ready for it?, used a windows computer to copy the music from the phone and back again.... and bingo!!.... strange but true.... so you basically need to ask a friend to allow you to use his/her Win PC for a while..... not sure if there are other better ways of doing this..... but this worked for me (from Ubuntu 12.10) on my Lumia 920

So basically:
1. Plug in phone to Linux box and transfer files using any file "explorer"
2. Detach phone and plug into Windows box. Copied files still show up there, but music player on phone does not detect them
3. Copy files on to Windows box, and copy back to phone....!!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you got an SD Card and reader?

With the limited memory of the 820, and the SD Card slot, it makes a lot more sense to put the music on an SD Card. Putting the music on an SD Card, also free's you from all the issues of linux/windows for phone manipulation.

jonathan_twite

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
ok, so I moved the music to the SD card and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I tried moving an album I had bought on the phone, and it wouldn't let me, and now that album won't read.
Looks like I'll have to wait for my new cable and battery for my windows laptop to turn up. Silly me for getting cheap ones from China that take 3 months in surface shipping to arrive...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro