Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    So since whatsapp doesn't work on wp8 and I can't shell out the big bucks for international text and email doesn't feel very fast, what other options are there if I want to send instant messages to someone with a BlackBerry outside my country?

Does windows live/MSN messenger work on wp8?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Download Kik. It's pretty popular and it's cross platform.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    Or Email them! If they have a blackberry, they have an email account linked to their phone.

Yes Windows Live/MSN are baked into the OS. You can go online from your "Messaging" tile.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    Download Kik. It's pretty popular and it's cross platform.
    People over here say it doesn't update live tiles. How widespread is that? Does it work fast and have instant resume? Do messages ever get delayed or is it quite stable? If its as good ad on android, iOS or BlackBerry I would prefer it over whatsapp.

BTW, don't you already have a thread on such a topic? I am sure we went through this before, no?

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    BTW, don't you already have a thread on such a topic? I am sure we went through this before, no?
    Well that topic is similar yes but this is specifically for someone outside the country. From the previous topic I decided the situation is not too bad after all because I can easily send an SMS to whoever I want and its definitely more reliable than whatsapp. But in this case things change a bit.

By the way does MSN messenger still work or had Microsoft already gotten rid of it in favor of Skype?

Nope it still works. It is integrated within the OS. Very reliable.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Nope it still works. It is integrated within the OS. Very reliable.
    Are you referring to MSN messenger?

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    People over here say it doesn't update live tiles. How widespread is that? Does it work fast and have instant resume? Do messages ever get delayed or is it quite stable? If its as good ad on android, iOS or BlackBerry I would prefer it over whatsapp.

I can't speak for others but it works fine for me. Just download it and try it. It might be just what you need.
    Are you referring to MSN messenger?

Yes MSN messenger.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    I can't speak for others but it works fine for me. Just download it and try it. It might be just what you need.
    I held off on a wp8 because of the messaging issue and because I'm waiting for the yellow 920.

Don't think he owns a phone. This seems to be a pre-purchase research :P (pretty in depth!)

Edit: Ninja'd

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Yes MSN messenger.
    Oh nice. And I assume it has that fast resume feature whatever its called?

Do you see any pros and cons between kik and MSN messenger apart from the fact that kik has sent, delivered and read receipts?

Don't think he owns a phone. This seems to be a pre-purchase research :P (pretty in depth!)

Edit: Ninja'd
    Yea, I just noticed. Lol

Do you see any pros and cons between kik and MSN messenger apart from the fact that kik has sent, delivered and read receipts?

Messenger is built right into the phone so you send and receive just like a regular text. It just "feels" like your doing regular SMS.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Messenger is built right into the phone so you send and receive just like a regular text. It just "feels" like your doing regular SMS.
    Hmmm so the situation isn't as bad as I thought at first.

Now the only thing remaining is keeping myself from going out and buying a 920 which is discounted $50 for the weekend over here. Ughhh the yellow is so beautiful.

I think the best part is - integration. It is right in the place where you text from. You don't need an app for MSN messenger. You can swap between MSN, FB chat and normal texts. So it all feels like texting. All real time, all instant as long as you have a data connection.

If your message isn't sent it will give an error "Message not sent. Try again" like a normal text. So you just tap on that error and it resends. That's the best part of integration in WP. Everything feels like it belongs there. If you have enough friends on FB and MSN, you won't need Whatsapp.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Oh man you're tempting me to go out right now and buying a 920. If I have someone in my Facebook contacts but they don't have a cell phone. Will they show up in the contacts list still? Some people have also complained that the Facebook chat works quite slowly, is this true or is that just an isolated incident?

Oh man you're tempting me to go out right now and buying a 920. If I have someone in my Facebook contacts but they don't have a cell phone. Will they show up in the contacts list still? Some people have also complained that the Facebook chat works quite slowly, is this true or is that just an isolated incident?

As long as they are online/visible on Fb/MSN you can chat to them and they can chat to you. Of course if they are offline and leave you a message you are dependent on Fb app. The ones that talk about slowness of Fb are due to their data connections.

I've never had issues like that on baked in features since WP7.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    What am I missing with this Whatsapp thing? I have it on my Lumia 920 and it works just fine, how come "WP8 doesnt have it"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    What am I missing with this Whatsapp thing? I have it on my Lumia 920 and it works just fine, how come "WP8 doesnt have it"?
    it was removed 6 days ago. search marketplace now.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    I read about it going away, but I thought like many apps that disappeared it would've come back fairly soon.

Guess not, gotta hold on to mine then :D

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    If you have more than one hotmail or outlook account, can you choose which account to use to chat with whoever on live messenger?

If you have more than one hotmail or outlook account, can you choose which account to use to chat with whoever on live messenger?

No it's the one you log into your phone with. Your single Microsoft account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I read about it going away, but I thought like many apps that disappeared it would've come back fairly soon.

Guess not, gotta hold on to mine then :D
    Yeah that's the reason my brother is holding onto his phone with buggy microphone! He won't exchange it only for Whatsapp. It's that serious ;)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast