Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Yes.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Sure, they don't need EAS to be supported by Google, Microsoft was already planning on supporting IMAP with Outlook.com anyways. .

The only people who will miss out are Google super users who use all of the other Google apps and don't want to change. Email and everything can be supported by MS no problem.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Saying the word "Google" here will get you burned at the MS Stake.
    Thanked by:

Without google search, youtube and rss reader?

NO WAY!
    Yellow Lumia 1020 (RM-875) Unlocked International

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    As with most stories regarding the WP8 platform, issues with app or service integration tend to be a bit overstated. WP8 won't die without Google. Microsoft & Nokia have already combined to provide comparable if not better versions of many Google apps we take for granted at this point, (maps come to mind). In any event I continue to shake my head at so many in the telcom and tech sector who just can't wait to put the nails into a WP coffin that doesn't exist...
    snowmutt likes this.

How can Android survive without proper support for MS Office? It's the most used office suite by far. Google Docs is child's play.

What about proper integration with XBOX Live? The XBOX 360 is the #1 selling entertainment console.

The author of the article is saying that the problem with Windows Phone is that it doesn't use Google's ecosystem.

You mean WP is best with Microsoft's ecosystem?

Well duh.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Sure. I still have yet to have a Google fan explain to me why Google services aren't completely replaceable with Microsoft services.

The die-hards say "I'll never leave," but they weren't who was being targeted. Moving from Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Search to Outlook.com, SkyDrive and Bing couldn't be easier.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    An editorial on Engadget wonders if WP even has a chance of surviving without integrated Google services...it was pretty thought provoking, and made some pretty good points (I thought). It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next few months...

Editorial: Does Windows Phone even have a chance without Google?

Anyone care to share a thought or two?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    It's really not that interesting because of course they they have a chance without Google. There is no reason they need EAS or Google Apps, people who use full Google Apps are just a small percent and Microsoft can still support push email through other means like IMAP IDLE.

Its trolling fan boys for page views.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    He's a Google user trying to use a Microsoft product and then complaining the Google stuff doesn't work right. He's driving a Ford and complaining it's not a Chevy.

Global Posts
    3,964 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    This is a heavily heavily biased article that raises some points we could consider... or we could ask ourselves how much the writer actually knows about Windows Phone? He says he's used the 900 and 920 "extensively" but also says after 3 years there's no youtube app? I've had my WP device for around a month now and I came fresh from android and I didn't know about Metrotube when I first got the device. I found out about it very very quickly and it was one of the first app's I downloaded from the Store. It's arguably THE single best youtube app I've had.

As far as Gmail goes my phone not only syncs with gmail it syncs better than my current custom gmail homepage does. I don't use labelling or stars like the author of that article but guess what? I can read my email. I can even read it with my other email accounts through a linked inbox if I want to.

The next major point he makes is to do with GMaps and Youtube becoming popular apps in a short amount of time. Let's not forget that Nokia has a solution on iPhone called Here and I'm sure that got some downloads before Gmaps was released and while people were reeling from iMaps. I'm not saying its as good. One of the most used apps I used on my old android phone was google maps and yeah it did it's job but I don't think Nokia Drive or Maps is doing SO badly that I can't get from A to B (I'm in the UK so my mapping experience has arguably been better than my android experience but that could well be down to the phone I was using.

So yeah sure it'd be nice to have GMaps on WP8 but to be honest I'm doing fine with Nokia's solutions and I can get where I need to. I'd love to see an officially supported Gmail app but, again, honestly I'm fine just being able to read my emails as they are - I've had no problems. I'm not bothered by having a GCalendar app because I'm fine with the calendar app on WP8 but yeah it'd be nice to have the choice...

I guess what I'm trying to say is this... sure it'd be nice to have any of Google's support and apps on the Windows Phone platform but as a user of the system and not as a tech blogger, does it impact my experience at all without them? No. If Google's lack of support is stopping you from trying anything WP8 then I'd challenge you to actually have a look around at the WP8 current system because from what I've seen there are apps that do everything Google's services offer better than my experience of Google's own services at the moment. If you can do the same things you already can on another platform should it hold you back from trying something new because the services aren't branded? I don't think so, personally.

I'm really not convinced this is a deal breaker. It could well be for you - but for me I'm really not sure it is.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and fusioncept like this.

I've read this article too, and to me it seems that the writer is quite the opposite of what I expected a technical writer to be - flexible and curious when it comes to new, different technology. I was quite surprised about this - surprised about the fact that the writer (And certainly some other people) are so deep into a certain ecosystem that they are unwilling to think outside their boxes.
    Words that shot through my mind when reading that editorial were:

"One ecosystem to bind them, one ecosystem to rule them all".

I will probably never understand how this can be seen as an advantage. Too much dependency = loss of flexibility = missing new things to get excited about. No, thanks!
    Even as a WP fan, I want and plan to keep my eyes open, I'm interested in other competitors options, checking their advantages and disadvantages. Why shouldn't I! Live is too short and technology too intersting to get closed in and completely dependant on one manufacturer/ecosystem.

But to each his own, and in an editorial, the writer is allowed to offer his own, biased opinion.

(Today I have deleted all my google stuff .. I only had them because my last phone was an Android and for a youtube account ... I think I can well live without them)
    Last edited by Luminatic; 12-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Happy WP user :P
    budney, a5cent and r4v like this.

would have to agree with a significant portion of this article
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    people who use full Google Apps are just a small percent
    yeah......no

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    I don't know about anyone else, but I will be moving to WP8 in order to get away from Google.

If people are that reliant on Google, they would likely be better served by staying with Android.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Engadget (and other blogs) are populated by Mac users with iPhones or Androids who are extensive users of Google services and a couple of "must have" apps that nobody else uses. They think the rest of the world is just like them, and are stunned when someone releases a product that isn't meant to cater to their specific needs.

They're the same people who "can't understand" why people buy Windows PCs or use Yahoo.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Its easy for people to switch to Outlook. It should be Google that's worried about losing customers. Its on the verge of losing me. There as nothing compelling in gmail but on the other hand Outlook has a better interface than gmail. I'm switching there, its Google that should be losing customers. Those customers that really need gmail are probably business customers and they will conyinue getting eas.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Sure. I still have yet to have a Google fan explain to me why Google services aren't completely replaceable with Microsoft services.

The die-hards say "I'll never leave," but they weren't who was being targeted. Moving from Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Search to Outlook.com, SkyDrive and Bing couldn't be easier.
    I think you forgot to also say maps and navigation... oh wait. :p

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Bing Maps are good. And there are plenty of great navigation apps as well. Again, nothing especially irreplaceable.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Ask a Google fan "what about Google is so irreplaceable?"

Enjoy the stammering. :)
    snowmutt and jdhooghe like this.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Yes.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Not as good when I'm readiong things like this though (from this forum):
    for example, in google maps, you can click on the bus station icon in the map and it gives you a list of the bus numbers that stop there and the times. Nokia maps doesn't do this.
    The simple reality is that there are more people using google maps which means there is more information being fed into them. At this rate, google maps gets further ahead of Nokia Maps every day
    On my L920 maps are showing up upside down, north is south, and east is on the left. The state of Massachusetts is literally azz backwards. And my location is off by a mile.

Also, 'fastest time' for 90% of routes I tried programming were minutes slower than shorter and efficient routes.

This shouldn't even be available as Beta yet.
    Because Nokia Maps are not as well known as googles.
    Those labels showing places are added by local owners, if noone heard about nokia maps then noone added their buisness there. You have however lens which show a lot of places on the map.
    and how long will it take to fill that database to the level of google? Maybe years? Though it's not very hard to have the bus icons display the bus schedules like in google maps
    I'd be inclined to have no real issues with all of that, were it not for the fact that I'm a heavy map and nav user on my phone (and don't have to pay a dime for it)

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Engadget (and other blogs) are populated by Mac users with iPhones or Androids who are extensive users of Google services and a couple of "must have" apps that nobody else uses. They think the rest of the world is just like them, and are stunned when someone releases a product that isn't meant to cater to their specific needs.

They're the same people who "can't understand" why people buy Windows PCs or use Yahoo.
    People still use Yahoo?

Yes. Why not?
    Happy WP user :P
    brmiller1976 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast