Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
Like Tree6Likes
  1. SaucePolicy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
       #1  
    I thought my fellow Verizon users who are anxiously awaiting Portico would find this interesting:
    Dear xxx,

    I am so sorry to hear that you have been waiting for this update and have not received it! Thank you for your time and attention to contact us on the matter. My name is Anna and it is my pleasure to assist you today.

    I am so sorry to let you know that at this time there is not a public launch date for this software version because it is still in final developing with the manufacturer to have it tailored to our network. As your advocate, I would like to detail how you can be sure to know about this update as soon as its available. You have the option to place a setting in your phone that will automatically notify you by following these steps on your device:

    1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Phone Update.
    3. Select Check for Updates.
    4. Enable the options called Tell me when updates are available for my device.
    5. You can also select the second option, which will automatically download the update as long as your other data settings permit, (such as necessity to be on WiFi).

    If you have already done this then I apologize for reiterating these steps. I can definitely understand your concern with waiting for so long for this update, as Verizon has been waiting as well. As a service provider we facilitate the disbursement of updates over our network but we do not develop the software. The device manufacturers develop all the software that is compatible with their devices, so it is HTC that releases your update. It is the same concept as having a computer that uses a Windows operating system by having your Internet service through Road Runner. When it is time to update your operating system it is Windows who develops the updates, not Road Runner.

    These updates come out at different times for different service providers because the software must be tailored by the manufacturer to run on different types of network technologies. Verizon is sometimes left waiting longer for these updates due to the complexity of our technology which hand in hand is also the reason that our network is superior! I am so sorry for this delay and hope you will accept my humble apologies for the inconvenience. Please dont hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

    I would like to thank you again for reaching out to us with this inquiry, and for choosing Verizon Wireless! It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please enjoy the rest of your day!

    Sincerely,
    Anna
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    Bold added by me. Funny how she blames HTC for the delay because Verizon's network is so "superior". Her Windows/Road Runner comparison sort of falls apart when you think about it. Since when do Comcast subscribers get Windows updates before Road Runner users or vice versa? Oh right...they don't. They all have access to the update as soon as Microsoft releases it. So in one sentence they're saying "Oh we're just a simple dumb pipe, we have no control over it" and in the next saying "Our network is so complex and superior that it's taking longer to get the update out".
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and interopbyt like this.
  2. jdriscoll636's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    #2  
    God bless AT&T, LMAO. Sorry to hear about your update woes. By sheer dumb luck I ditched Verizon before getting locked into a contract. I had a Galaxy Note 2 and an accounting error stiffed me on my pay check, which I attributed to adding my wife to my insurance play. So back went the Note 2. A couple days later I found the mistake and instead of going back to Verizon I went to AT&T and got my L920. Sorry for the long story, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is, some things in life are just out of your control. Just take your lumps were you get them, and try to avoid a cup check were possible.
  3. mrmdj31675's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    #3  
    Actually, their network is going to have the same Military coding and encryption Sprint has right now, and perhaps the CDMA coding fix is coming. Verizon took a gamble on allowing three WP8 devices which are undercoded (using China Mobile/ZTE based CDMA coding over the current Qualcomm/Verizon/Sprint coding and cell network encryption).

    Go ahead, blame it on CDMA 2000 and FCC recommendations to improve cell network security and encryption (and have in mind GSM carriers have to meet new security recommendations as well)
  4. wilks7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #4  
    so to make it short and simple...as soon as Verizon recieves the Portico update from HTC they will push the update out. i don't think Verizon is sitting on the update.....no choice but to wait it out

    contact HTC and see what their story is
    Last edited by wilks7; 02-07-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    HeyCori likes this.
  5. ryan.kruger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    #5  
    Sad face.
  6. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #6  
    I wish Portico would hurry up and get here, but I'm confident we will get it. Verizon released every update available for the Trophy, including the update for the disappearing keyboard that AT&T didn't release for their WP devices. I think Microsoft needs to hurry up and release it to all carriers because WP8 is a bit buggy at the moment.
    Thanked by:
    Ruined 
  7. quantum tao's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    317 Posts
    #7  
    I switched from sprint to Verizon because of their lack of windows phone support. (I had a sprint arrive and had to do all the updates with cab files). should I have gone to at&t?
    does this mean nokia is also holding back on the update for the 822?? I doubt this story.
  8. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
    #8  
    Ugh Verizon is the worst, but damn they have great cell service
  9. #9  
    Sorry I haven't really followed Portico cause I originally thought it was for non Verizon phones (Idk why I would think that). What will Portico change for us Verizon 8xers?
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  10. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    Ugh Verizon is the worst, but damn they have great cell service
    which is probably why i'll switch to them instead of att from sprint (att and vz are the only carriers with signal where I live)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by funkycricket View Post
    which is probably why i'll switch to them instead of att from sprint (att and vz are the only carriers with signal where i live)
    honestly i want to switch from verizon to att .. But the family plan im on is dirt cheap so ill hang out a lil longer!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  12. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCricket View Post
    which is probably why i'll switch to them instead of att from sprint (att and vz are the only carriers with signal where I live)
    yeah it's tough sometimes where I live, Verizon was just a bit better than ATT but now I've hated being on Verizon with their god awful update delays on everything I have owned
  13. #13  
    The 8X update has been released on all other carrier, as well as all unbranded 8X, as well as all Lumia varients of the 820 (810, 820 and global 820). Don't tell me the manufacturers are sitting on this update... this is all Verizon.
    DavidinCT and E Lizzle like this.
  14. willied's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    713 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #14  
    They were good with the updates on the Trophy, I just hope they can get WP8 updates out faster in the future than they are now.
  15. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmdj31675 View Post
    Actually, their network is going to have the same Military coding and encryption Sprint has right now, and perhaps the CDMA coding fix is coming. Verizon took a gamble on allowing three WP8 devices which are undercoded (using China Mobile/ZTE based CDMA coding over the current Qualcomm/Verizon/Sprint coding and cell network encryption).

    Go ahead, blame it on CDMA 2000 and FCC recommendations to improve cell network security and encryption (and have in mind GSM carriers have to meet new security recommendations as well)
    I felt you were trying to say Huawei instead of China Mobile, right?
  16. NELSON8x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #16  
    I think people are just bored of their phone and think the update is going to fix that.

    Supposedly, there is another update in the works. Code name: BLUE
  17. astraith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks7 View Post
    so to make it short and simple...as soon as Verizon recieves the Portico update from HTC they will push the update out. i don't think Verizon is sitting on the update.....no choice but to wait it outcontact HTC and see what their story is
    I personally know the HTC tech support (over phone and email) and they don't know more than we do. I use to work at one of the only call centers for tech support and still talk to those people. This is why I am switching to ATT. Sprint had the same problem. I am tired of being second class citizens.
  18. Darkgift's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm going back to Sprint. I was with them for 9 and a half years until last March. Where I live in the Tri State Area (Central Jersey, half hour south of NYC) all the services are equal, and Sprints data speeds are faster than Verizons. As soon as my contract is up and there are some WP8s on Sprint, I'm going back.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
  19. #19  
    this was one of the reason i jumped to att from verizon.

    i have a lumia 920 now and i expect it should be better supported now.
    sad to hear about this though.
  20. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,872 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    #20  
    This kind of discussion happens on every carrier and every phone.... Verizon sucks for updates.... It's a known issue...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

  21. WP95's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #21  
    Not surprised, we will get it eventually. Try messaging htc see what they say
  22. wilks7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by fallax View Post
    I personally know the HTC tech support (over phone and email) and they don't know more than we do. I use to work at one of the only call centers for tech support and still talk to those people. This is why I am switching to ATT. Sprint had the same problem. I am tired of being second class citizens.
    Maybe you can get HTC to move Verizon up in the pecking order for the next software update. So what does your HTC contacts say? does verizon have the update and just sitting on it? or is HTC still testing portico out before they cut it loose to verizon?
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    I wish Portico would hurry up and get here, but I'm confident we will get it. Verizon released every update available for the Trophy, including the update for the disappearing keyboard that AT&T didn't release for their WP devices. I think Microsoft needs to hurry up and release it to all carriers because WP8 is a bit buggy at the moment.
    This. As bad as Verizon's support was with WP7, we did get every update. I have no doubt we'll get this one. But yes, I, too, wish the wait was shorter.

    Quote Originally Posted by NELSON8x View Post
    Supposedly, there is another update in the works. Code name: BLUE
    Blue will be a shift from the every-three-years model that Microsoft has had for Windows, to an annual cycle, but will also tie the phone, the desktop, and the server together with "around the same time" updates.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  24. wpn00b's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #24  
    Can someone direct me to a page or changelog that explains exactly what "Portico" is? I like my phone and I didn't know I was waiting on an update. What does this update do exactly? I ask because I see things posted that indicate people are willing to switch carriers over update delays. I just don't get what the phones are doing that people would cancel a contract and purchase another phone (thus ruining any chance of getting the update you were waiting for). I've had my phone late December I think and I've been pretty happy with it, minus a few bugs.

    I agree that if a manufacturer makes an update available to that carrier, the carrier should test it and push it out to the owners. I hate how Verizon delayed updates to my Droid Incredible when I used it, but I eventually got them. But I never thought of cancelling service over it.

    I'm really just curious about what I'm missing out on, cause I don't know the difference between Apollo, Portico, Mange, etc... The OS has its shortcomings, but I like it how it is. What's coming in the update?
  25. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,717 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wpn00b View Post
    Can someone direct me to a page or changelog that explains exactly what "Portico" is? I like my phone and I didn't know I was waiting on an update. What does this update do exactly? I ask because I see things posted that indicate people are willing to switch carriers over update delays. I just don't get what the phones are doing that people would cancel a contract and purchase another phone (thus ruining any chance of getting the update you were waiting for). I've had my phone late December I think and I've been pretty happy with it, minus a few bugs.

    I agree that if a manufacturer makes an update available to that carrier, the carrier should test it and push it out to the owners. I hate how Verizon delayed updates to my Droid Incredible when I used it, but I eventually got them. But I never thought of cancelling service over it.

    I'm really just curious about what I'm missing out on, cause I don't know the difference between Apollo, Portico, Mange, etc... The OS has its shortcomings, but I like it how it is. What's coming in the update?
    Portico is the first minor update for Windows Phone 8. Technically, it includes some features and bug fixes, like any other update, so you should probably update your phone.
    Apollo is the initial release of Windows Phone 8.

    And, it's Mango, not Mange. You do realize that each codename ends with 'O', right. NoDo -> Mango -> Tango -> 7.8 -> 7.X | Apollo -> Portico -> 8.X
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b 
    wpn00b likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switch to Straight Talk from Verizon and get the 920?
    By ColeHarris in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
  2. TuneIn app, response from support.
    By fwaits in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
  3. A bit of WP love from Verizon.
    By Gungzwei in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
  5. Difference between ordering from Verizon and Amazon?
    By Bballbenb in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions