WP8, generally worse on battery life than WP7?

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I have just got a Lumia 920. And... its battery ran out at 6pm today, installing a few apps and reading Baconit for about 2 hours.
That's appalling battery life for me.

My Lumia 710 would never have been this bad.
So I just looked at maybe getting the Lumia 620 (the Lumia 920 is too big for me).
But reports are the 620 has shocking battery life.

So is the common denominator WP8? Are any of the HTC devices good for battery life?

My other disappointment is the 920 camera. Its "ok". And its good in low light, but photos are not as clear or sharp as iPhone 5.
My son and I took many photos today - and I had to concede defeat. :(

I love Windows Phone, but these set backs really depress me. Always seems sooo close, yet soo far. Its the nearly OS.
I don't find that many missing apps despite what people say, its daft things like orientation lock, non customizable tones, no LED notification etc.
MWC better rock our socks or I shall take to the internet to whine like a ***** :)

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I will say this, baconit is an awesome reddit app, but it has massive battery drain. It can actually drain your battery while it is on the charger.

And I don't get the led complaint, not many phones other than blackberry have used that.

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok, I will try avoiding Baconit and see what impact that has.

LEDs are like.... 4 pence. From a distance, you can see if you have a notification ready - without having to resort to pressing on your phone.
Although like everyone else, you do end up doing that a zillion times a day :) But the LED addition seems such a small, simple, easy thing to implement. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, neither is "profiles" but as platforms mature these are the sorts of things (depth) that should be added. I know lots of people want notification centre, custom tones etc. I think you can LED to that although I appreciate its a lesser requested item. Also "do not disturb"! I hate my phone beeping in the night, yet I want me phone on to receive important/emergency calls. Again, simple to add no?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah ok, I will try avoiding Baconit and see what impact that has.

LEDs are like.... 4 pence. From a distance, you can see if you have a notification ready - without having to resort to pressing on your phone.
Although like everyone else, you do end up doing that a zillion times a day :) But the LED addition seems such a small, simple, easy thing to implement. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, neither is "profiles" but as platforms mature these are the sorts of things (depth) that should be added. I know lots of people want notification centre, custom tones etc. I think you can LED to that although I appreciate its a lesser requested item. Also "do not disturb"! I hate my phone beeping in the night, yet I want me phone on to receive important/emergency calls. Again, simple to add no?

For LED they don't even need that. They have massive Windows button right in middle. That could blink on and off in a slow elegant fashion with incoming notifications! But certain things just won't happen with Windows Phone - the things that seem so common, wont happen but we have kid's corner, yay!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have better battery life on my 8X than I have on any other phone I've had except for a feature phone. That being said it does take the battery a few charging cycles to calibrate, also if portico is available install that and your battery Will be improved as well.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
What do You mean they don't need led? Of course they need led, Windows Button gets the light from lcd panel so impossible To lit only one of capacitive buttons at time

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, you are going from a "low end" phone with lower power specs, smaller screen, etc. to Nokias flagship power house phone. Regardless of OS, you are not going to get matching battery life. So suck it up.

I went from my Lumia 800 to the Lumia 920. Do I get as much life from the 920? No, but I usually get a full day, 8am to 10-11pm.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I thought all wp7 devices were 3g? LTE eats up a lot more bat than 3g. Also, bigger screens, faster processor, and LTE make for poor bat life as is. Add to that Nokia battery monitor, poorly written apps and OS process hang-ups, Gmail sync issues, Nokia drive and Skype is beta, (I'm sure I missed some) and, you have one generally poor experience with a phone. I only get about 12-14 hours in good LTE market with moderate usage. I think that is about the extent of what it can do. If it is a new phone, give it some time. It will get better just not great.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I thought all wp7 devices were 3g? LTE eats up a lot more bat than 3g. Also, bigger screens, faster processor, and LTE make for poor bat life as is. Add to that Nokia battery monitor, poorly written apps and OS process hang-ups, Gmail sync issues, Nokia drive and Skype is beta, (I'm sure I missed some) and, you have one generally poor experience with a phone. I only get about 12-14 hours in good LTE market with moderate usage. I think that is about the extent of what it can do. If it is a new phone, give it some time. It will get better just not great.

The later WP7 models such as the Nokia Lumia 710,900 HTC Titan 1 & 2 supported 4G HSPA+ and/or LTE. Nokia drive doesn't drain battery unless it's left with navigation on, also the latest Skype beta doesn't either since the latest update from back in January.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

LTE per say isn't bad for battery life though. Only because we don't have enough masts to hold the signal we feel it so. 3-5 yrs down the line it wont be so bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes