SonOfJewel

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm at work using my phone on break and a group of people say

"hey that's a good looking phone what is it" oh this? Its a windows phone. immediately after saying that a guy says.
" oh I heard those phones suck" the crowd says "me too me too". And they disperse

I have too wonder why Microsoft has such a bad rep. Clearly they are not advertising right or something. Unfortunately this is not the only time this has happened too me. Makes me wonder

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

"hey that's a good looking phone what is it" oh this? Its a windows phone. immediately after saying that a guy says.
" oh I heard those phones suck" the crowd says "me too me too". And they disperse

I have too wonder why Microsoft has such a bad rep. Clearly they are not advertising right or something. Unfortunately this is not the only time this has happened too me. Makes me wonder

Don't worry, as you stated, they have no idea and that's the best part. What I do to get even is play out my own Smoked by Windows phone. Seriously tho, ppl have no idea what these phones are or how they are infinitely better at numerous tasks than what they have.

One thing I exploit the most when I do this to android phones is go to their marketplace and have them scroll about five page lengths of apps them have them go back to the top. I do the same. Then tell them to scroll as fast as they can and watch the magic. Their phones have seizures while mine is smooth as silk.

Works even more substantially when doing the same on the web.

You could even show them the tight integration, or how Xbox music is and the little things their phones can't do.

Oh happy times.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Ignore them...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
People are used to Microsoft of old, with Windows Mobile and Windows XP. WP represents the birth of a new Microsoft. And its going to take time to repair the reputation MS has had for years.

Also, people are stupid. They here one thing about something new, is make long term judgments based on that. Just ask them if they can open office documents on their phone...

I get flak at my company for my Windows Phone, especially since I'm the company's designer which is traditionally a Apple fan position. But I also get people very intrigued about it.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think part of the problem is the name itself. The average person thinks 'Windows' and they probably think your phone runs Windows OS, has a taskbar, and blue screens on the hour.

Not sure what they should have called it, but as perception goes, i don't think they went with the right name.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the problem is the name itself. The average person thinks 'Windows' and they probably think your phone runs Windows OS, has a taskbar, and blue screens on the hour.

Not sure what they should have called it, but as perception goes, i don't think they went with the right name.

Because having a bad brand recognition is better than having no brand recognition.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Because having a bad brand recognition is better than having no brand recognition.
I don't agree with your statement. Zune had a positive brand recognition. It was in fact the first product with the "metro" UI baked into the phone. And Zune desktop was great. They could have easily made a better name..or used the name "Zune phone"
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree with your statement. Zune had a positive brand recognition. It was in fact the first product with the "metro" UI baked into the phone. And Zune desktop was great. They could have easily made a better name..or used the name "Zune phone"

Zune was actually a good device, good software, etc....and had ZERO brand recognition. Hence why it failed miserably. Let's take a music device that no one bought or heard of, and name our phone after it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Zune was only a known brand in the USA. Most of us in the UK don't know Zune as a player or hardware. It's not a brand comparable to Windows that is known in rest of the world too. Go and ask a guy in Korea about Zune, he wouldn't know, but he would know Windows (in a good or bad way).

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Wow! I NEVER identify or introduce my phone as a 'Windows Phone', primarily because the OS is secondary as far as I'm concerned. When people see my phone, they see the shell/aesthetic - this is their 'draw' to the device that I am using. So when asked, I always introduce my device - 'It's a Nokia Lumia' - because, well, it's a Nokia Lumia!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Zune was actually a good device, good software, etc....and had ZERO brand recognition. Hence why it failed miserably. Let's take a music device that no one bought or heard of, and name our phone after it.
I never knew anyone who owned a Zune, and I live in the US.

Most people I know had iPods. I even knew more people who had Sandisk MP3 players than Zune. I had a Sandisk MP3 player.

If a different name were chosen, I'd have gone with Xbox. Everyone knows Xbox, and Xbox has great brand recognition.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I never knew anyone who owned a Zune, and I live in the US.

Most people I know had iPods. I even knew more people who had Sandisk MP3 players than Zune. I had a Sandisk MP3 player.

If a different name were chosen, I'd have gone with Xbox. Everyone knows Xbox, and Xbox has great brand recognition.

But then immediate thought would be a gaming phone. Since Microsoft owns enterprises and they know Windows better than Xbox, probably that's why the decision was against Xbox?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But then immediate thought would be a gaming phone. Since Microsoft owns enterprises and they know Windows better than Xbox, probably that's why the decision was against Xbox?
You're probably right. I'm not saying "Xbox Phone" would have been a better name. It's just that the name "Windows" doesn't really have a reputation for being cool amongst consumers. However, that is changing. I saw several articles recently where younger people are finding Microsoft cool again thanks to Surface.

Maybe "Surface Phone" would have been a better name than "Windows Phone".

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes very much , definitely ignore them, just walk around with your coloured phone and stand out, don't be like the rest be the very best, POKEMON!

I have a Red 920, it breathes fire like a Charmander
Seriously in these situations we can ignore them or enlighten them. My coworkers didn't know anything about WP until I taught them some of the features. Now they are open to WP, but most are on sprint so they have no options to choose.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a Sandisk, then a Zune 8GB, and now still use my Zune HD. I love it. The fact that my Arrive and WP 7.x had Zune baked in was awesome. Miss it on my 8x. Anyone who's seen it was like "That's hot. Why didn't I ever hear of it?" I get the same thing with my 8x, tho I do get some people who ate like "Oh yeah. I heard about them. WP phones any good?" and I get to do my pitch.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

You got off easy. Same thing happened to me, except instead of verbal abuse, the first guy yelled "You're no kin of mine!!" while pointing at me accusingly. Then this toothless old crone shook her walking stick at me, yelling in a thick Scottish brogue, "He's in league with Lucifer! He's got the devil in 'im!". After that all heck broke loose and I was chased down the street by an angry lynch mob all screaming "Stone him! STONE HIM!!" and "Death to the MacLeods!" (whatever that's supposed to mean!?) I barely escaped with my life! If it wasn't for my uncle Argyle holding them off while I made my getaway I would've perished.

tough times man, tough times. :unhappysweat:

xilammalix

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I sell mobile phones for a living and am the "lone wolf" as the sole windows phone rep in a sea of hypePhone and crashDroid sheep.
It is my "mission from god" to convert these naysayers into believers....

But really... Its all a matter of perspective. There are different OS' for each lifestyle. True business people who use or used BlackBerry for its intended purpose transition into a Wp really well b/c of a true Office w/ skydrive integration. Other OS' have to pay over $10 for a premium app which has limited capabilities. Android & iOS the "for everyone" phones people who care only for what the media say is acceptable. Watch a movie, someone is using an iPhone. Watch tv, Samsung galaxy 3 commercials every 2 minutes.( sadly WP has no instagram and is the breaker of deal with those users )
Gamers. Another one who in all honesty there are more premium games very well designed for those platforms and with the delay? Of new Xbox games on Wp8... Buy Xbox live games always raise some eye brows.
However music people... Xbox music pass - here is some good use of branding and switch from the unknown Zune of old to a name that is immediately recognizable. When I show people my phone the first thing they see is my Xbox music and Xbox game tiles. You can't get a service like that with iOS.

All in all, you have a far more stable OS phone which is not going to crash as often as an Android (I have to fix android phones 30/1 over WP. And your phone will stand out from an abundance in iP and Droid. Because one thing is true... The metro design of WP not as boring as the others.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just ignore them !
People used to say the same about both the iPhone & the Android Phones ... from a personal experience !
I was an iOS early adaptor , 1st Gen iPod touch (iPhone OS 1.2) , everyone sees me holding it comes & says "Wow , What Is That ?" when I reply "Apple" they go "Oh , I heard they are bad & have a lot of problems" The rest of em always agrees with him\her !
I was using android since 2.0 , guess what ? Same thing ...
Now everyone is iPhone this , Android that ...

I recently jumped to Windows Phone 8 & guess what my uncle said to me when he saw it ? He told me the same thing about Android ! Guess what is he using now ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon