Download count in store

adamjolin

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else think it would be useful and nice to have a download count for all the apps in the store? Kinda like what android does in google play...

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that would be an interesting statistic. I think I'd also like a count on how many apps I've downloaded. I was shocked the other day that I've got well over 100 apps on my phone from the store.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a great idea! I would like to see it on the Windows Store as well. They could even compromise and just make it more general. Say "100+", "1,000+", "10,000+" and so on.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd bet you could get a decent estimate on the number of downloads by the number of reviews. That is what I view at least.

If something has 10 reviews, chances are it doesn't have 100k downloads. Also, something with 1000 reviews probably easily has 10,000 downloads.

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd bet you could get a decent estimate on the number of downloads by the number of reviews. That is what I view at least.

If something has 10 reviews, chances are it doesn't have 100k downloads. Also, something with 1000 reviews probably easily has 10,000 downloads.

Trouble with that is you only see reviews from your country, so in smaller countries apps may show zero reviews even if they have hundreds of international reviews.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it is only a great idea if the download count is subtracted for those that uninstalled the app. For instance, if App X had 10 downloads, and 3 ppl uninstalled it, then the download count should reflect 7. If it only shows the downloads without the subtractions, then most ppl might mistake the app for a popular app when it may not be if ppl are uninstalling them.

Personally, I always read the reviews before I download an app anyway, so in my case the count wouldn't matter.

William Schlichtman

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Although it would be interesting to see, I don't think it would provide much relevance to how good/bad the app is. I'd much rather see a well written review of each app from a core group of evaluators. I am disappointed in the quality of most apps in the store (this goes for the "other" stores, too). Microsoft would do well to ramp up their quality control on all apps. When I first heard about their store, I was under the impression only quality apps would be accepted. As we can all see, the quality currently on display has the same level of garbage the "other" stores do. I understand the public goes by number of apps instead of how well they [should] perform, but damn, the Microsoft store had the opportunity to show the world how it should be done, and so far has let us down. /soapbox off

anon(5352282)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Right now its not a good idea because with the community being so small it would look kind of stupid to find out the games or apps you downloaded and now enjoy were only purchased or downloaded by "114" other people. I enjoy the system as it is now and am sure its ever evolving so in the future I could see "The Count" happening.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone only shows reviews in your region.

If you go to windowsphone.com it will show you the same reviews you can see in your phone. However if you change the country in the URL it shows you reviews from that country.

For example, I'm in the UK and the 'official' Facebook app shows around 7k ratings:

Facebook | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

Change the URL to US and it shows 25k ratings with different reviews:

Facebook | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

So the review count can be misleading as it only represents users in your own country.

Repomies

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
At this point I don't see this as a good idea. (I am assuming that the numbers are low.)
They should add this later if or when there is enough donwloads to be compared with Google Play and iTunes.
Google and Apple will make fun about the Windows Phone app download numbers and it's not going to be pretty.
The devs will also see the low download numbers as a trun off towards the Windows Phone platform.

adamjolin

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
At this point I don't see this as a good idea. (I am assuming that the numbers are low.)
They should add this later if or when there is enough donwloads to be compared with Google Play and iTunes.
Google and Apple will make fun about the Windows Phone app download numbers and it's not going to be pretty.
The devs will also see the low download numbers as a trun off towards the Windows Phone platform.

I honestly dont see too much harm in this as the users of their smartphones already make fun of our small numbers. I also really value a good solid review and try to review every app i download but sometimes i just want to know how many other people have downloaded it. I think it would add some legitimacy to some apps for newcomers for example if someone was searching for youtube and they saw how many downloads metrotube had im sure they would download metrotube instead of the actual youtube "app"

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually the number of reviews is quite enough to judge how many people have Downloaded it without going into numbers as it may be humiliating to see that only x number of people have downloaded the app. Till windows phone crosses the 250K apps mark, I don't think it makes sense to have a download count
Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon