Unable to Delete Email (Outlook)

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The only email account I have on my Windows Phone is my Outlook web account. I got a "new items" notification email from eBay a few days ago that I can't delete! When I delete it, it appears to go away, but when my email syncs again, the email keeps coming back. When logged in to Outlook.com via my computer, the email no longer exists in my account, yet I can't get rid of it on my phone.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions for getting rid of emails that won't die? :unhappysweat:

Last edited:

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Email That Won't Die (Hotmail)

I finally got the stubborn eBay email to go away. I changed my mail settings from "Download email from 'anytime'" to "Download email from 'last 3 days'". I think that forced a more thorough sync. I then switched my settings back to "anytime" and now the email is gone. Whew!:smile:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You can force a sync on your email by:

Settings -> email + accounts -> long press on email account (any) then select Sync

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure this is a bug. I keep having the issue where I can't delete an email from my phone even though the email doesn't exist in my Outlook account. Am I the only one having this issue?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have this trouble as well only starting recently. In the past month or so. What I have found is that when I am unable to delete/move an email from my phone, it's because it's already been moved/deleted through the Outlook.com website. If I undelete/move it back to Inbox, then delete the email from my phone, it will no longer show up in my phone's email app.

I've been having little issues with my @live.com email address for about a month now. Not being able to delete/move, emails popping back into my Inbox on my phone, my phone no longer syncing to my Live email. It's just bizarre. Gmail, on the other hand, has been rock solid.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I see this as well. I have three Hotmail/Outlook type accounts set up on my phone and they all have this issue. Removing the account and resetting it up will fix it, but as one of the accounts of the main one for the phone I can't do that without a hard reset. I've seen this issue on WP7 and WP8, but it's really bad at the moment - most of the mails shown on the mail app now have been deleted off the server. I think it has something to do with the phone stopping syncing mail when it goes into power save mode, but one of the accounts is only set to sync manually, so it can't be that simple.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's extremely annoying. Another fix I have found is to go into the Settings of each Hotmail/Live/Outlook account on my phone and change the "Download email from" date range to something different. Then the phone will resync email and the undeletable/unmovable email will finally go away.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks speedtouch. I've tried this on all three accounts and the mails have gone.

This is definitely easier than removing and resetting the accounts.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I finally got the stubborn eBay email to go away. I changed my mail settings from "Download email from 'anytime'" to "Download email from 'last 3 days'". I think that forced a more thorough sync. I then switched my settings back to "anytime" and now the email is gone. Whew!:smile:

Strangely I've had this problem the last two or three weeks too....
My solution was also to change the number of days to sync, as you told.

Thanks for sharing your experience so I do not think I'm alone with this bug

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 521 for 3 weeks, but the past few days there have been a couple email messages that only show up on my phone and that I can't delete.

I just tried changing the sync settings from 1 month to 2 weeks as suggested, which caused it to re-sync and that fixed it. This is an annoying bug. I hope they fix it soon.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I also just started having this problem. Lumia 928. Deleted emails are gone on Outlook.com but stay on the phone.

I wonder if MS changed something recently on the backend of Outlook.com and how it handles sync commands.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This was a solution from Microsoft WP help forum:

1. Find the messages you are unable to delete on Outlook.com deleted folder.

2. Bring them to the Inbox on Outlook.com and mark unread

3. Go to your phone and delete the messages.

4. Delete the messages from Outlook.com

5. Sync your Phone inbox.
The messages should not reappear now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99