I see so many people with unorganized start screens

rorrr

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed this?

In my experience, most new users don't know they can arrange the tiles on the Start screen. I see so many people who either haven't touched the tile layout since purchasing their phone or they have blank spaces where they accidentally moved or deleted a tile.

I think this is a serious issue that has gone overlooked. One that Microsoft could alleviate quite easily. Below is a mockup I created to improve discoverability for arranging and pinning tiles.

14108242530_875aa85c33_b.jpg

I've submitted this idea to the Windows Phone Uservoice page. Please vote for it if you agree that this will help users who are not tech savvy enjoy Windows Phone's most distinguishing feature: Live Tiles.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...organizing-and-pinning-tiles-more-discoverabl

How would it work?

Clicking the "arrange tiles" button would send the user to the Start screen in the "wobbly tiles" mode, as if they had long-pressed on a tile. Alternatively, or in conjunction, the user could simply be shown how to long-press on a tile to activate the "arrange tiles" mode. However it's executed, there would be an obvious and discoverable way to organize tiles. Again, this is for people who would never visit a site like WPCentral.

The "pin to start" image on the right is what a user would see after clicking a button labeled... "pin to start" button. Not only does this make the function easier to find, but it gives users a way to pin multiple apps at once--something that is possible on Windows 8 and should be adopted by Windows Phone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My start screen is equally disorganized mostly because I am too lazy to actually organize it.

I am mostly in desktop mode besides being in the mail app in metro mode, and when I want to launch an app I just click start then start typing the name of the app.

None of the apps get added automatically which I wish they would.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I did at one point but the amount of times I had to send my phone in, ended up being the "close enough" method.

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The little brochure that came with my Lumia 520 says how to move tiles. For me, tool tips are more important. I hate the graphics-only icons with no obvious way to view a written description. I accidently called my voice mail number and my home phone number and was charged because I didn't know what I was pressing.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My start screen is equally disorganized mostly because I am too lazy to actually organize it.

I am mostly in desktop mode besides being in the mail app in metro mode, and when I want to launch an app I just click start then start typing the name of the app.

None of the apps get added automatically which I wish they would.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The OP is refering to Windows Phone, not Windows. ;)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree! I helped someone at work get the 8.1DP after he saw my transparent tiles and asked me how to do it. He's since helped his wife get the DP, as well as a couple other people.. But then a few days later, I happen to see his start screen and noticed it was the same background pic I set for him, and his tiles were all a mess... I told him "you know you can move those around and resize them and all, right?" He shrugged his shoulders and said "yeah, I just haven't had time to mess with it".

Maybe we (or people like these need) need an "auto arrange" button ( like we have on windows desktop to auto arrange icons)?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I've observed, the average user doesn't mess with home screens much, be it on their phone or PC. I work with customers' computers a lot, and they will often have the default icons on the desktop that are there from when it was new, such as Norton Internet Security or BackupmyPC. We're probably a bit out of the ordinary in that way. And I know that some people don't even know what they're for or why they're there, but they're afraid to mess with them.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well the good thing is if your hard reset, like I did on my 928, your start screen before you reset will be arranged the same way. Although some apps may need a restart in some way. Unlike before, if you reset you had to arrange them from scratch, a royal pain in the ***, I had to do it like 6 times with my 920 when I was with att.

rorrr

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its that serious and I still don't know why some are so concerned with how other's start screen looks like
it's not about how it looks. it's about making features more discoverable. I clearly said this in the post and the uservoice link.

rorrr

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
But then a few days later, I happen to see his start screen and noticed it was the same background pic I set for him, and his tiles were all a mess... I told him "you know you can move those around and resize them and all, right?" He shrugged his shoulders and said "yeah, I just haven't had time to mess with it". Maybe we (or people like these need) need an "auto arrange" button ( like we have on windows desktop to auto arrange icons)?
auto arrange is an interesting idea. I wonder how intelligent it could be? for example, grouping tiles by "most used" or "related"? as others have pointed out, WP start screens--and Windows 8 for that matter--could be suffering from the same apathy that leads to desktops full of random icons. that's something I didn't consider.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This actually kind of bugs me myself. My mothers Lumia start screen has these black gaps in them where she doesn't have tiles and it is like bugging me because it just looks a mess.

I know it shouldn't matter but it does haha

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've only seen one person IRL with a WP (inexpensive Lumia as a temporary device, lost his primary) and he had empty spaces on his home screen. I don't think he really cared though, doesn't seem like the type that really care about gadgets all that much.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This actually kind of bugs me myself. My mothers Lumia start screen has these black gaps in them where she doesn't have tiles and it is like bugging me because it just looks a mess.

I know it shouldn't matter but it does haha

LMAO, same here. My mom currently has 4 blank spaces on her 620's home screen where there used to be tiles. She noticed that herself a few days ago but didn't bother to fix it.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
You know what bugs me the most! Seeing android users trying to make their WPs look like android!! They make all the tiles a f**king square and aligns them in a line just like the android UI! It pisses me off so much! Damn it you guys just let the live tiles breathe for a second! Make them bigger. See them moving. Let them...LIVE!!

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
When I gave my old Lumia 710 to my mum I arranged the start screen for her beforehand (it was her first smartphone), but since then it's become a complete mess with blank tiles, and numerous contacts and websites pinned accidentally. Awful!

It doesn't really matter, but I've pretty much perfected my start screen layout, and just notice when others haven't. Like my friend with a 1020 whose pinned tiles only account for only a single length of his phone screen, as though he's using an iPhone (he's ex-iPhone 4) or something and is unable to explore what WP can do. Oddly frustrating to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes