Help me confirm my 1020 purchase!

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, I currently own the Lumia 1320 and want to get the Lumia 1020 tomorrow but want to ask a few questions!

1) I am a photographer, will the Nokia Lumia 1020 do me justice.. Seeing as it is a phone.

2) Battery life, what is it like? Having live tiles on, listening to music etc.

3) Is 32GB even enough?

4) Take away the camera, just ignore it, is me going from the 1320 to the 1020 a downgrade?

PS: How well does Windows Phone 8.1 and Update 1 run on the 1020?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
1) I am a photographer, will the Nokia Lumia 1020 do me justice.. Seeing as it is a phone.
Answer;
No it does not, as a photographer you need to stay as far as possible from mobile camera's
Spend your money on a real dedicated camera.

Answer:
Sucks when you are going to use ful options, thats why they use the extra batterypack.

3) Is 32GB even enough?
Answer:
As a photographer you know how big or heavy 41 Megapixels are.
Not to mention video.
So you need wifi or internet to upload.

4) Take away the camera, just ignore it, is me going from the 1320 to the 1020 a downgrade?
Answer:
It depents what you want to use it for.
For webbrowsing, reading and multimedia i would say yes.

Dont want to sound negative about the phone, but remember that the 1020 is eol ( end of line ).
Its a good phone, a very good phone, but its slow on the cam and loves the juice of powercells

But you can combine those two together......like a 1520.
I dont know if the 1520 can shoot raw format.

Last edited:

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Answer;
No it does not, as a photographer you need to stay as far as possible from mobile camera's
Spend your money on a real dedicated camera.

Answer:
Sucks when you are going to use ful options, thats why they use the extra batterypack.

3) Is 32GB even enough?
Answer:
As a photographer you know how big or heavy 41 Megapixels are.
Not to mention video.
So you need wifi or internet to upload.

Answer:
It depents what you want to use it for.
For webbrowsing, reading and multimedia i would say yes.

Dont want to sound negative about the phone, but remember that the 1020 is eol ( end of line ).
Its a good phone, a very good phone, but its slow on the cam and loves the juice of powercells

But you can combine those two together......like a 1520.
I dont know if the 1520 can shoot raw format.

couldnt disagree with you more,,

my ex is also a photographer, and she dreams of something like the 1020(she have had an nokia N8 before, decent camera phone)..

as a photographer you would want to take pix ALL the time, everywhere(esp if u have kids/pets).. you cant have a DSLR around ur neck 24/7, ur neck wont last 12 hours..
the 1020 takes great casual pix, go for it ..

2: battery life is a bit on the low side.. u'll need some battery pack if your gonna take tons of pix, camera grab highly recommended btw, the battery included isnt much , still worth it

3, 32 is enough, if your gonna empty it every once and a while(vids takes up lots of space tho).

4, performance is close i guess, the 1020 has better screen resolution(led too) and 3 times the storage.
but smaller screen.

i own a lumia 1020 , i highly recommend it just for the camera, its a bit slow(the camera), but if you know what your doing, it takes great shots(xenon flash helps too, for active subjects)...
i wouldnt pick the 1320 over the 1020.. if you compare it to the 1520, then i might agree that overall the 1520 is the better choice.. 1020 is receiving less and less support with each passing month :p..

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
As a photographer you must know that megapixels doesn't guarantee quality photos. Celphone cams just can't compete with the real deal. Fast shot's, zoom and advance manual settings. The 1020 takes nice shots but nothing more than that.

Btw double memory space.....you can ad sd cards in the 1320 ;)

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
dude, he's already a photographer, he ALREADY owns a DSLR, check his avatar lol :p

even if you own a DSLR, its not enough.. a DSLR is bulky, , heavy, takes some time to "open" then aim to shoot, not to mention it attracts lots of attention when ur walking around the street.

when your sitting eating dinner, and suddenly u wanna take a shot, do u run to your room to get the DSLR? or just use ur "good enough for casual pix" 1020 ? :)

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
dude, he's already a photographer, he ALREADY owns a DSLR, check his avatar lol :p

Just because of that you should know that almost every pic taken with a phone is a disapointmend in the eyes of a real photographer.
For family pics is even a average 5 or a 8 mp cam good enough.
As long if it is at close range and you dont need zoom, than yes it takes decent pics.
But the problem with the 1020 comes when you want to shoot a couple of pics in a row.
It takes to long when the cam is ready for the next shot ( its a wel known issue with this device ).

If you are use to a Eos d5 ( has only a sumier 22 MP ) than you know thats not al about pixels.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
ust because of that you should know that almost every pic taken with a phone is a disapointmend in the eyes of a real photographer.

not all photographers agree about that btw :), some think that subject is more important than the quality of the picture.
its similar to the argument of video games, a good game doesnt need the best graphix :)

It takes to long when the cam is ready for the next shot
yes , this is VERY frustrating, its part of the over all trade off, between a DSLR and a Camera phone :)..
a DSLR is freaking fast and top quality.. while a camera phone is very small/thin/lightwieght, plus it has wifi/bluetooth for easy sharring, and a better "screen", for viewing gallery.. .. not to mention the L1020 captures awesome HD video and sound :) .. but it is slow to operate, and play with the diff settings :)

Last edited:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
a DSLR is freaking fast and top quality.. and a camera phone is very small/thin/lightwieght, plus it has wifi/bluetooth for easy sharring, and a better "screen", for viewing gallery.. .. not to mention the L1020 captures awesome HD video and sound :) .. but it is slow to operate, and play with the diff settings :)

The 1020 is slower than the most ones, the main reason is that it has to write larger pics.
Personaly i would go for the 1520.
The cam is good enough for some cassual pics and hase lighter pics than the 1020.

A good cam can shoot pubic hair of a flea at a 100 M distance ;-)

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Just because of that you should know that almost every pic taken with a phone is a disapointmend in the eyes of a real photographer.
For family pics is even a average 5 or a 8 mp cam good enough.
As long if it is at close range and you dont need zoom, than yes it takes decent pics.
But the problem with the 1020 comes when you want to shoot a couple of pics in a row.
It takes to long when the cam is ready for the next shot ( its a wel known issue with this device ).

If you are use to a Eos d5 ( has only a sumier 22 MP ) than you know thats not al about pixels.
The 5d is more than just pixels. It has a sensor the size of a 35mm film (most slr's don't) Pixels count doesnt mean much. I would take an 12 mp medium format camera over a 24 mp small format any day. Plus it has a much higher dynamic range then any phone camera could hope to have. Not to knock the 1020 it does a fantastic job for what it is and for personal use, but those who plan to control more, refone more, and be able to produce professional grade shots couldn't use it.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But I will say for family photos and videos the camera has an excellent quality sensor and glass that rival many top end point and shoots and the high mp and raw capabilities add the ability to make larger prints with cropping and open the door for more editing ability. So for a consumer the 1020 is an excellent choice for most uses.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Excellent when you have the time.
Tho it has nice specs its stil slow between taking pictures.
Thats the only downside of this whole phone, and the lack of a sd card.
Ofcourse will make a sd card the process a lot slower, but not when you use it as a backup.

So if i would have a choice i go for the 1520.
Its half the pics, but faster and the 1520 is not eol.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Excellent when you have the time.
Tho it has nice specs its stil slow between taking pictures.
Thats the only downside of this whole phone, and the lack of a sd card.
Ofcourse will make a sd card the process a lot slower, but not when you use it as a backup.

So if i would have a choice i go for the 1520.
Its half the pics, but faster and the 1520 is not eol.
Of course its slow it has to process 41 mp as a raw file, generate a jpg from oversampling form that image on a extreme low power chip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon