Windows Phone 8 Apps: Notifications & poor quality apps (Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Skype)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does mate. When you access the store from Surface RT you get the same apps from windows phone.

Actually no, it doesn't. As someone who is developing for the Windows Phone Store (it's in Alpha stage atm though, certain issues delaying the app from going into Beta), and has had a look at Windows Store development (though not actively pursuing it currently as the mobile app is a higher priority), I can tell you with confidence the apps are separate. You have to develop to a unified, but at the same time noticeably different codebase. Unified as in it's the same language and most of the code can be re-hashed and reused, but different in that you have to target the specific features and APIs across the different platforms. As such, they have to be released separately, and they also require separate developer subscriptions!

Can we get back to the topic now? Notifications?

Ah, notifications. Yes, these have to be enabled via a Microsoft Push Notification Service. Thing is, you have to authorise/validate your service (can't remember the exact terminology they use) otherwise your notifications for your apps will be bottlenecked. There are also limits on how many apps you can use a MPNS on. Maybe WhatsApp for example isn't using an authorised MPNS?

Last edited:

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Can we get back to the topic now? Notifications?

There is no greater topic that has been covered about WP8 on this forum and all forums than a notification center.

Personally, not interested. Hated it on Android. Don't want.

I have had zero problems with toast notifications on my 810

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Okay to simplify...Microsoft has Microsoft store, Windows store and Windows phone store
Microsoft store is for purchase of PC's, laptops, Xbox, Office, Tablets
Windows store is to download windows 8 and its relevant apps...one can find apps for Surface RT here but not all apps would work on RT
Windows phone store is as the name suggests

Am I right folks or do I need to understand something else?? This s**t is pretty confusing...

MS released Surface RT...then said all your apps cannot work on it...but apart from the existing Windows app there are no specific apps for windows RT...so a consumer is left with a tablet having some pre-installed apps and thats about it..hence poor sales for RT leading to further fall in app build up rate..

Windows phone market is growing but there are still no apps..

What I get from all these is that somewhere MS has got all this messed up..

The simple strategy would be having windows 8 and surface pro running same apps...and windows phone sharing same kernel...so that the developer needs to build an app once and modify a bit to release it on all platforms...why the **** do we require Surface RT and its related confusion??

I don't really understand how you're getting so confused?

It's pretty simple really - Windows phone 8 store = phone apps - they share a lot of the same architecture as Windows 8, so porting applications from Windows 8 to Windows phone 8 is made more simple thanks to the tools MS has provided.

There are plenty of apps for Windows RT - in fact, there are MORE big name apps on RT than on Windows Phone 8. Windows 8 store is a place to get all your software from. If it's compiled for ARM - it'll show up on your RT device. If it's not, then it wont. It can be a little confusing for consumers to understand the differences in architecture but all in all, I think most people understand the differences here.

Trust me when I say that there are no shortages of apps for RT and it's growing fast.

Even though it's putting MS in a difficult place now, they had to separate RT and legacy apps - why? Let's say MS said all Windows 8 applications had to be compatible with RT (Arm processors) - That would mean there would be NO applications, NO software, basically nothing - My alienware desktop would only be running Angry Birds right now... In 2 years time, when all apps are compiled for both ARM and x86 processors, then MS can start integrating, but right now think of it as a system requirement - your ARM based computers (RT) can't handle the power needed from x86 chips.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Why would you buy a phone with a new OS and complain about a lack of apps?

Your post is kinda tricky! For sure it wont be smart to buy a phone without knowing what it has! I knew that WP has Facebook, Twitter,Whatsapp, even viber, the lack of games..etc but like everyone said. Wait and all the goods apps will come! So i bought the phone and by the way i love the OS but when i started the phone and got the Apps. Some of the apps quality were not good. others were there and were pulled out for a fix like whatsapp and viber! You expect that Skype will be so amazing, you figure out that you can sign out! So i know all about the apps availability but not the quality which by time im experiencing them! I hope u understand my point and everyone else!

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Bilal here...I too love the OS, its fast and has great potential.

I knew what apps I will have, since I was using Lumia 800 since 1 yr. My problem is 3 months since the launch, the apps MS promised have not been launched yet and no news. The apps in WP store might be good but they are not the top apps across other platforms. Certain old apps are not working with new platform. I am in medical profession and don't even get me started on medical apps. I might not have the patience that others might have but i feel that's how today's gadget users are.

Regarding notification center even if you have built a live tile for an app, if you miss the notification you have to scan live tiles of all the apps which can send u a toast and than open the one which is showing some number over it. So its a big process...hunting a live tile...opening an app and then replying.

A decent notification center will save this trouble.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of apps.
Yes, there are plenty of apps, which is great. The problem is the quality and features of those apps, especially when comparing popular apps to their counterparts on other platforms. That will continue to be one of WP's Achilles heals until fixed.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there are plenty of apps, which is great. The problem is the quality and features of those apps, especially when comparing popular apps to their counterparts on other platforms. That will continue to be one of WP's Achilles heals until fixed.

Maybe. Personally, I couldn't stand a lot of the Android apps because they were overly complicated and messy. Prefer WP8 that I find to do the same functions.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Your post is kinda tricky! For sure it wont be smart to buy a phone without knowing what it has! I knew that WP has Facebook, Twitter,Whatsapp, even viber, the lack of games..etc but like everyone said. Wait and all the goods apps will come! So i bought the phone and by the way i love the OS but when i started the phone and got the Apps. Some of the apps quality were not good. others were there and were pulled out for a fix like whatsapp and viber! You expect that Skype will be so amazing, you figure out that you can sign out! So i know all about the apps availability but not the quality which by time im experiencing them! I hope u understand my point and everyone else!

I do a bit but I just figured it would be a while before everything was worked out. We're early adaptors. That's never and easy ride.

Swag_global

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to stay true and rally behind the platform since day 1, but the lack of important apps (in today's context), the unreliable notifications, and sub-par multitasking..... the experience has become horrible to deal with, so I think I'll go over to Android when the S4 comes and hopefully come back when the OS is a lot more solid.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There are some better options, particularly for a Facebook app. I was having problems with the MS app, so I switched to the Facebook + Pro by FlooNetwork, and I actually think the app is pretty good. It does a decent job of mimicking the desktop experience, has landscape mode, and the notifications seem to work well. There is a free version also, but after trying it and liking it for the most part, I decided to shell out the money to get rid of the ad and get the extra room on the screen. Facebook+ | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Swag_global

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with you guys! I dont want to give up on my Lumia 920, i love the device and i love the cam and the live titles, but sadly the notification is slow and sometimes it get wired. Like today in FB, i got a notification that is 2 days old, i was so confused, i checked my iPhone and then my FB on the PC and i had nothing. I knew its old because i read it.Coming from an iPhone and Andriod the apps in the WP store are not that good. Whatsapp, Facebook, no viber yet, no good games from Gameloft or Glu and no good applications. Yet, we always have to read the famous sentence in WP forums which is "Be patient and stay tuned". How long ill wait, it depends on MS. I know that Nokia is trying its best to stand up while water is beneath, but i hope it keeps its grip.

This is sad, i wish the notifications get better, the OS keeps updating and solve all issues we are facing, and the good apps come. I wish for MS to ditch the RT and just focus on WP8 and Windows 8.

If you can only get to a single person or group @ MS who would actually read some of these common sense suggestions, like my bold 9000 Whatsapp works flawlessly lol

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i just have to jump in here on this regarding notifications. and i apologize if it is mentioned further but after read the first page and a half and seeing the topic change a bit towards progamming for apps i just got to add my 2 cents..

i think most people are getting notifications confused with wp. everyone coming from android and apple are use to a notification center. wp has live tiles in whick for the most part the tile is your notification. however, that said... there is a delay in the tiles updating in a prompt and timely matter. ive seen it often and many of you have too. what wp needs and i think many are trying to refer to it a toast notification center. ive gottn a toast for espn and groupon, and unless you are on your phone, our close by when u hear it, once it slides off the top of the screen its gone forever.

(forgive my typing... i am using my verizon xoom tablet and i can not properly edit withe the google native browser. i hate this thing)
a swipe to the right (screen left of start) would be a great place to list missed toasts in chonilogical order

Last edited:

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Nobody at MS or Windows phone replies...I have mailed, tweeted number of times but nobody acknowledges your feedbacks.
I had an issue with Nokia, mailed and tweeted them and I received a call from their customer support...now thats being professional, what I want is atleast an acknowledgement that we understand your problem and we working on it..

MS has always functioned this way...they take their customers for granted..

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Nobody at MS or Windows phone replies...I have mailed, tweeted number of times but nobody acknowledges your feedbacks.
I had an issue with Nokia, mailed and tweeted them and I received a call from their customer support...now thats being professional, what I want is atleast an acknowledgement that we understand your problem and we working on it..

Give me one of the big companies that work differently...

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

We can do our part by all posting on their facebook page regarding notifications and Microsoft developed apps like Facebook, simply let them know there is a delay with notifications in Europe/UK once enough people post on their page and send them messages too maybe it'll get the ball rolling:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/windowsphoneuk?fref=ts (Make sure you "like" the page first as the post wont be seen otherwise)

zilab

May 24, 2011
Visit site
@jasqid is correct. Windows Phone OS is a different beast. Its a glance and go type of thing. If you really need a notification, you can basically pin the apps that matter you most on your screen, that way you only see the important updates and not mind the others. Its actually even more effecient, than getting notifications to all apps, without priority for example.

Imagine if you only require facebook notification and that notification is bombarded with 20 different apps, its hard to dig. With Live tiles you just put what's important to you on the screen.

Now on a different note, windows phone hacker made an app for our notification last year but it was pulled.

Windows Phone Hacker demonstrates homebrew Notification Centre for Windows Phone 7.5/8 | WMPoweruser

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I can imagine having that notification center tile as an alternative. Wat you say Zalid is entirely true; the most important notifications will be on the live tiles of your choosing. However, I can also imagine that seeing in a quick glance what notifications you got in a period of time would be handy too. Best of both worlds if you ask me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon