08-22-2013, 04:34 PM #1
- 12 Posts
Is anyone else having an issue with 6tag constantly draining your battery? My phone went from 100% to dead within 2 hours after I installed it this morning. If I launch the app at any point, my phone remains hot even when I the screen is turned off. I confirmed that background agent was disabled.
I did a soft reset hoping that it'd fix the issue, but no dice. I had to uninstall the app, as it made my my phone completely unusable, and this has fixed the problem. Is anyone else having this issue?
- 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM #2
I did notice that my phone gets warmer when 6tag is running right after installation, but nothing as bad as you've reported. FWIW, I didn't see a background agent when I first installed it. I had to turn the background agent on and then off again in the general settings page in 6tag, then I saw the background agent in the system settings background tasks page.
Not only did I block the background agent, I also unchecked the "Turn background tasks back on..." check box.
That was last night. Today seems to be fine.
08-23-2013, 03:09 AM #5
- 1 Posts
I did notice it this morning when I was late for work since my phone's alarm didnt go off (for the first time). I checked and it was empty. I've also noticed that my phone have been acting strange... it freezes every now and then. And these things werent happening before I installed the app. I'm using a lumia 720.
- 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM #8
Within a few minutes of using it last night (around maybe 7 minutes) of just viewing pictures. It lost 6% battery. Now when I closed the app and put my phone to sleep on idle i lost NOTHING throughout the night. When I went to bed it was 47% and when I woke up it still was 47% (I love the Lumia 520's standby battery life lol) Its safe to say its a HUGE battery drainer.
- 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM #10
So... after making the modifications I posted above, 6tag no longer drains my battery. But holy hell does it heat my phone. I'm sure it's because of all the data going back and forth... pictures and whatnot... but that seems abnormal. I don't recall Instance heating up my phone like this.
08-26-2013, 04:40 PM #11
- 70 Posts
Was using 6tag Saturday night and going through a bunch of hashtags. Phone battery was half way while charging and it got so hot that it restarted on me twice! Was still hot so I just gave it a break, was only using it for around 10-20 minutes with no WiFi.
- 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM #13
Here's a Twitter conversation with the developer:
@RudyHuyn Love 6tag, thanks for it! Are you receiving reports of 920s running really hot when using it? Or battery drain?
@iamtim yes, gdr2 fixes that
So... any of you with heat and battery drain on GDR2?
- 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM #14
- 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM #16
- 08-28-2013, 11:51 AM #17
- instagram picture takes 100Kb
- instagram/vine video takes 1.5Mb
If you have a small data plan, disable video auto play in settings
I checked with fiddler, Datasense seems to be crazy, it seems to be a data sense bug, so don't worry about data (you can also check with fiddler or wireshark)
About background agent : its only purpose is to update the tile :
- one request to log you
- 3 requests max to update tiles
- tile image download
About heat: Windows Phone 8 had a several bugs:
- with videos: sometimes, it forgets to delete video player => impossible to play an other video (black screen)
- camera: sometimes it forgets to close the camera => become hot (solution launch native camera app)
these two bugs are fixed by GDR2, it's a firmware bug, I can't do sometimes if you haven't gdr2
Don't forget that when you launch an other app or lock screen, the app stops, it's theorically impossible to drain battery when you doesn't use an app ;)
08-29-2013, 01:54 AM #22
- 174 Posts
I haven't experienced that kind of issue but I think that app itself consumes too much battery when you are using it. If I use it for about 5-10 minutes, I lose around 5-8% of my battery. That's too much. I hope that developer makes a patch with optimisation for the app since 6Tag is an amazing app.
- 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM #25
update 1.1 is available fixing the battery problem ;)
here is the full changelog:
- manage video hashtag security, other users can now see your videos when search tags
(important: an app that doesn't manage this security can make your account suspicious in the future)
- post entire photos on instagram and select background color: white or black, no need to crop your picture anymore
- share using NFC (compliant with windows phone and all other NFC phones)
- reply to comments
- more filter borders
(include now all the ios borders)
- better video encoding quality
- load low definition pictures when possible to improve performance
(save data plan, more performant for low-spec devices)
- new keyboard to quickly access # and @
- keep in memory your 40 last hashtags (in keyboard suggestions)
- add a remove internet cache button
- use less battery (a lot of optimization has been made)
- improved lux feature
- many other little changes to improve the app
- By mikeeemm in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 1Last Post: 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM
- By dangerous_dave in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 4Last Post: 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
- By poots1101 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 1Last Post: 08-22-2013, 04:44 PM
- By scottygb2k in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 3Last Post: 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
- By MikeLip in forum Nokia Lumia 928Replies: 7Last Post: 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM