01-27-2018 09:25 PM
203 ... 6789
tools
    1st post here.
    I’m planning on getting these for my wife and I on Friday. Got to admit that I am a little nervous. I had a Windows phone back in 2009 but it was mostly a joke. Had a good camera though. I have used android ever since. While I was comfortable with android (was going to get a Pixel originally) I am bored with it. I also hated having my stuff spread across the universe. I really wanted integration. I am a big Microsoft fan from Xbox #1 to Xbox One. Beta tested every OS from Vista on. Big MS fan, especially recently.
    I love the idea of all my docs, music, etc being available across all my devices. Plus the 4S is gorgeous.
    My only concern is Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Every sales person or article points out the 1/2 percent market share and crickets chirping in the app store. So I hope I am making the right decision.
    It is going to be nice to get a phone that feels like something new. Plus I do enjoy being different.
    Thanks for listening. I look forward to getting to know you.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-27-2017 12:47 AM
    My only concern is Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Every sales person or article points out the 1/2 percent market share and crickets chirping in the app store. So I hope I am making the right decision.
    It is going to be nice to get a phone that feels like something new. Plus I do enjoy being different.
    Welcome aboard! The phone itself is a fantastic device. It's the nicest phone I've ever owned. The camera is average and the phone is missing NFC, if that matters to you. You should probably make sure that the apps you want and need are available before you move forward. It meets my needs, but others find it too limiting. As to MS's commitment to the the platform, the naysayers have been suggesting that it's over for years. The reality is that the OS is still being developed.
    02-27-2017 01:19 AM
    I really don't think I will need many apps on it. I think most of what I use apps for on android is native to either windows or office. I just need to transition over. As long as we have YouTube I think Windows can cover the rest.

How does Edge hold up on mobile? Android browsers always got on my nerves. Is there any integration between Win 10 mobile and Xbox?
    Being on T-Mobile are Windows Insiders able to install the preview builds?

Thanks. I really can't wait to get it. I went to T-Mobile the other day but couldn't really even hold because of the security lock and it had no account or internet on it so all I could do was look at it. Very pretty.

My last 2 phones were the HTC One m7 and Galaxy S6 Edge, so I like new pretty phones. I would probably still be using the HTC if the camera hadn't crapped.
    This will be my first large phone.
    libra89, RumoredNow and mark233 like this.
    02-27-2017 05:50 AM
    I really don't think I will need many apps on it. I think most of what I use apps for on android is native to either windows or office. I just need to transition over. As long as we have YouTube I think Windows can cover the rest.
    myTube (YouTube client) is probably going to be your best bet for YouTube, and since the dev is releasing an xbox version UWP app you should be set up there.

There are more than several articles here on Windows Central that explain the other side of Microsoft's commitment to mobile. Though Windows 10 Mobile as an OS and its life expectancy is still a mystery, we can count on Microsoft's commitment to mobile. As Microsoft approaches their goal with Windows and it's ecosystems across all platforms, we are only able to speculate what they will do or use with Windows 10 mobile in the future. From the looks of it for now we can count on it being around into 2018 since there are two more major updates to come, one slated for the coming months...
    02-27-2017 09:05 AM
    That would be the creators edition. I have it on my laptop. Do you know if carrier phones can get the insider builds?

I appreciate all the information. I'm not second guessing, I just like to be informed. Very excited actually.
    02-27-2017 11:29 AM
    Do you know if carrier phones can get the insider builds?
    Yes they can. If the phone is to be your daily driver, Release Ring is probably best. I'm running that now on a T-Mo branded Idol 4S Windows.
    mark233 and BadWolf1724 like this.
    02-27-2017 12:06 PM
    Yes ditto. This phone is easily included in the newest insider releases. Simply put, if the phone is running a W10M anniversary update build, then it can run the newest insider build, but I would not recommend installing it on a daily driver unless you are prepared for bugs and such. Likewise anything that does not ship with W10M i.e. older Lumias and other phones able to upgrade to W10M from WP8 may not play well on some of the insider builds or may not qualify for the newest insider builds.
    BadWolf1724 likes this.
    02-27-2017 07:39 PM
    Not sure if anyone has checked out the full specs of what the hardware on this device could or is capable of. It is here. You will need to translate from Chinese. The thing I found good was the 500 nits capable brightness of the screen. I was wondering what it was capable of...
    When I had my IDOL 4S, I ran it at 50% brightness, and it was plenty! Looked beautiful! I notice now with my 950 XL, i'm having to run the brightness at 75%, and it still seems a shade dimmer than the Alcatel.
    editguy likes this.
    02-27-2017 10:34 PM
    When I had my IDOL 4S, I ran it at 50% brightness, and it was plenty! Looked beautiful! I notice now with my 950 XL, i'm having to run the brightness at 75%, and it still seems a shade dimmer than the Alcatel.
    Ya and without CBD. Probably the result of newer hw I am sure...I really like this phone minus a couple of pet peeves I have.
    editguy likes this.
    02-28-2017 12:21 AM
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help. Talked to the store and they are holding 2 until Friday for me. Also getting 2 Incipio DualPro cases,a black one from the store and a pink/gray from Amazon for my wife.
    Why does the clock stop moving when I want something to happen?

Thanks again.
    PFSP and TgeekB like this.
    02-28-2017 01:25 PM
    Why does the clock stop moving when I want something to happen?

Thanks again.
    Ask Murphy :-)
    02-28-2017 04:19 PM
    Ask Murphy :-)
    Sorry but he was my grandfather and he passed away years ago.
    02-28-2017 08:15 PM
    Sorry but he was my grandfather and he passed away years ago.
    Oh ok. Sorry to hear that. I was meaning/referencing Murphy's Law, unless I misinterpreted what you were sharing...
    02-28-2017 10:39 PM
    Oh ok. Sorry to hear that. I was meaning/referencing Murphy's Law, unless I misinterpreted what you were sharing...
    I was making a bad attempt at a joke. I always tell people that Murphy was family.
    My bad not yours.
    nate0 likes this.
    02-28-2017 10:55 PM
    Ya, for some reason he seems related to lots of people.
    02-28-2017 11:19 PM
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help. Talked to the store and they are holding 2 until Friday for me. Also getting 2 Incipio DualPro cases,a black one from the store and a pink/gray from Amazon for my wife.

Thanks again.
    When I had my IDOL 4S, I picked up a case, but after an hour, I took it off; the phone is too beautiful to cover it up with cheap plastic...at first, I thought it was too slippery, but I got used to it, and appreciated its' quality glass screen and smooth curved edges...
    editguy likes this.
    02-28-2017 11:49 PM
    When I had my IDOL 4S, I picked up a case, but after an hour, I took it off; the phone is too beautiful to cover it up with cheap plastic...at first, I thought it was too slippery, but I got used to it, and appreciated its' quality glass screen and smooth curved edges...
    I've had my s6 edge for 2 years and it's close to perfect, however my wife is scrambling to get hers repaired so we can turn it in. But I know what you mean too beautiful to cover up.
    03-01-2017 06:10 AM
    Picked one up off ebay for $170... Finally going to have WiFi Calling from T-Mobile since service in my house is spotty at best. I'm definitely not getting rid of my Lumia 950 XL... That phone is amazing. I just wish the app gap never existed. Developers suck... Not all of them, but the ones who refuse to make an app for W10M. It's not that hard. :(
    RumoredNow, libra89, nate0 and 1 others like this.
    04-05-2017 06:29 PM
    nice phone
    05-27-2017 04:33 AM
    Picked one up off ebay for $170... Finally going to have WiFi Calling from T-Mobile since service in my house is spotty at best. I'm definitely not getting rid of my Lumia 950 XL... That phone is amazing. I just wish the app gap never existed. Developers suck... Not all of them, but the ones who refuse to make an app for W10M. It's not that hard. :(
    I don't think its fair to say that about developers. That's like saying a restaurant should have a certain food on the menu that only 1% of people like.
    Its not just about developing an app, you have to maintain it also. That costs money.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    libra89, Philip Hamm and aximtreo like this.
    05-27-2017 07:37 AM
    I have the 4S, and the boom key is a dedicated camera button.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    05-29-2017 10:39 PM
    These are now available for $249 Canadian on the Microsoft Canada Store. I just snapped one up. I’ve always wanted to try it out so this is pretty low risk! Looks like a great phone according to the reviews. I will be rocking it alongside my iPhone 7 Plus.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    09-27-2017 07:50 AM
    I just bought one of the MS store.
    I might buy two....
    mark233 likes this.
    10-20-2017 10:52 PM
    Enjoy your new phones. Though I have moved on to iPhone I still have my 4s and I pull it out once in a while to update and play around with. It’s a beautiful phone.
    mark233 and aximtreo like this.
    10-21-2017 07:45 AM
    Bought one from the Microsoft Store foe $199, even though Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 10 Mobile. Maybe they'll release the bootlocker and we can get some custom Roms in the future. The phone has everything I was looking for - front facing speakers, fingerprint reader on the back, fast processor and 4GB ram. I don't do a whole lot on my phones, just texting and email. I agree that the phone is gorgeous, but I still bought a cheap case for it that I'll keep in it while I'm at work. At home I may keep it out of the case.
    Couple small complaints - lack of notification light for messages, etc. And I was inside a building today and even though it showed I had a signal, I couldn't access the internet. The only time I've had it happen. Other than that, pretty happy so far.
    11-17-2017 11:42 PM
203 ... 6789