Using the Idol 4s with W10M on AT&T?

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site
Re: Using the Idol 4s with W10M on AT&T?

I'm trying my Idol 4s (again) but I can't send MMS messages. I just get a message stating that it failed. I did notice this in the Sim settings - IMS status: unregistered How do I register? Maybe this is my problem?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I'm trying my Idol 4s (again) but I can't send MMS messages. I just get a message stating that it failed. I did notice this in the Sim settings - IMS status: unregistered How do I register? Maybe this is my problem?

IMS being unregistered should not cause that...Are you using it on AT&T? If so are you using the T-Mobile unlocked model or the Open Market unlocked model while on AT&T. There are known issues with MMS and SMS while on Cricket and AT&T if using the T-Mobile sim unlocked model....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

IMS being unregistered should not cause that...Are you using it on AT&T? If so are you using the T-Mobile unlocked model or the Open Market unlocked model while on AT&T. There are known issues with MMS and SMS while on Cricket and AT&T if using the T-Mobile sim unlocked model....
I gave one of my Idols (T-Mo unlocked) to one of my foremen and he uses AT&T with no issues at all sending MMS. IMS will not register on AT&T because no Idol has the correct bands for them. Conversely, few AT&T handsets not named iPhone support T-Mobile IMS requirements.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I gave one of my Idols (T-Mo unlocked) to one of my foremen and he uses AT&T with no issues at all sending MMS. IMS will not register on AT&T because no Idol has the correct bands for them. Conversely, few AT&T handsets not named iPhone support T-Mobile IMS requirements.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

It is not suppose to register IMS for VoLTE but it is possible ;). HD Voice on AT&T is possible too :) with the IDOL 4s...

I don't remember exactly what the issue was with mms but it happened when Microsoft accidentally flighted an internal only build of Windows On ARM. It bricked so many devices. So when folks who had the Open Market IDOL 4s had to resort to restroing with the T-Mobile IDOL 4s FW, we noticed sms/mms issue on at&t. Fortunately now we have a workaround to flash the open market ffu. Which means we can also de-brand/un-brand the T-mobile variant.

EDIT: So maybe it (sms/mms) was/is only an issue if you had an open market variant and opted/chose to flash the T-Mobile firmware...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It is not suppose to register IMS for VoLTE but it is possible ;).
Without Band 17 support it won't happen. Even the unbranded model like the one I have now doesn't have it. Carriers have gotten to be real A-holes lately with their "must be certified" stipulations that discourage users from buying factory unlocked devices. If you live in a fringe area and don't have access to aggregate services you may find yourself up the creek. Gotta hand it to Verizon though, either it works with all its features or it don't. No half-assing like T-Mobile or AT&T.

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site

"IMS being unregistered should not cause that...Are you using it on AT&T? If so are you using the T-Mobile unlocked model or the Open Market unlocked model while on AT&T. There are known issues with MMS and SMS while on Cricket and AT&T if using the T-Mobile sim unlocked model..."

It's the open market unlocked model I purchased off the Microsoft website.I'm using it on AT&T. I tired changing the APN settings to those that are on my ZTE Axon 7 but that hasn't changed the MMS issue.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

It's the open market unlocked model I purchased off the Microsoft website.
What kind of mms are you trying to send? Pic/video/multi-recipients?

...You can try adding the mms APN for AT&T manually. Or if you're willing to do a hard reset with the sim card inserted.

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site

What kind of mms are you trying to send? Pic/video/multi-recipients?

...You can try adding the mms APN for AT&T manually. Or if you're willing to do a hard reset with the sim card inserted.

I've tried sending a photo and get a message stating that it failed. Can you send me the APN settings? I've tried these settings but it didn't help. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1218316&token=M4VzsGKc
Will doing a hard reset affect the Sim card? I swap it out with my Axon 7, which is my daily phone since the Idol 4s is buggy.
And thanks for your help!

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I've tried sending a photo and get a message stating that it failed. Can you send me the APN settings? I've tried these settings but it didn't help. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1218316&token=rh3w2jKB
Will doing a hard reset affect the Sim card? I swap it out with my Axon 7, which is my daily phone since the Idol 4s is buggy.
And thanks for your help!

Those should be correct what you pasted the link for...

A hard reset will affect your data on the phone/apps/settings. You could backup first if you need to and restore once you set up the phone again. But it won't/shouldn't do anything to the sim card.

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site

Looks like I'll try the hard rest then. If that doesn't do it I'll call AT&T. By the way, it shows IMS not registered and when I use Google Voice I don't have any MMS issues. I know it's probably because it's web-based but just thought I'd mention it.

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site

Looks like the hard reset worked! I was able to send and receive a picture message to my Google voice number. Hopefully it works with all cell numbers also. Thanks again Nate

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

"Without Band 17 support it won't happen. Even the unbranded model like the one I have now doesn't have it. Carriers have gotten to be real A-holes lately with their "must be certified" stipulations that discourage users from buying factory unlocked devices. If you live in a fringe area and don't have access to aggregate services you may find yourself up the creek. Gotta hand it to Verizon though, either it works with all its features or it don't. No half-assing like T-Mobile or AT&T"

I am assuming then that my Cricket branded Lumia 650's have band 17 and others that my open market idol 4s doesn't? So far in south Dakota and Minnesota I have had very good service with my idol on cricket. I have no service though in much of Nebraska when traveling to Denver Colorado.

Bill Brooks

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site

So far so good. Been using it all day without any issues. My only fear is what will happen when I switch the sim to my Axon 7 and then back to my Idol 4s.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

So far so good. Been using it all day without any issues. My only fear is what will happen when I switch the sim to my Axon 7 and then back to my Idol 4s.

If something did happen it would be on the carrier end...not the phone. Which we already ruled out and corrected.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

"Without Band 17 support it won't happen. Even the unbranded model like the one I have now doesn't have it. Carriers have gotten to be real A-holes lately with their "must be certified" stipulations that discourage users from buying factory unlocked devices. If you live in a fringe area and don't have access to aggregate services you may find yourself up the creek. Gotta hand it to Verizon though, either it works with all its features or it don't. No half-assing like T-Mobile or AT&T"

I am assuming then that my Cricket branded Lumia 650's have band 17 and others that my open market idol 4s doesn't? So far in south Dakota and Minnesota I have had very good service with my idol on cricket. I have no service though in much of Nebraska when traveling to Denver Colorado.

Not according to Cricket’s own web page. I had horrible service with a Cricket 640 and it seems AT&T does with Cricket the same as T-Mobile does with Metro P.O.S. and that’s to allow Band 4 for LTE only. Metro phones don’t have access to T-Mo’s Band 12. Personally, I think it’s a punk-as* move.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/con...pport/microsoft-lumia-650/lumia_650_specs.pdf

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

Idol only has 2,4, 12 for lte. So far so good. Missing 5 and 28 from my Lumia 650 though. Will see how service is in spearfish sd this weekend and trip to Denver In few weeks.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I am unsure as to why the box/labels/web...etc state that the Idol 4s has bands 2,4,12 only as it does not. I have verified with QXDM and a qcn dump from my own T-Mobile variant that it indeed carried bands 2 4 5 7 12 17. I also confirmed this last year via a label when I ordered one and it listed it that way on the box. Working with several other folks on the XDA forums we confirmed too through an Open Market variant with QXDM and a qcn dump that it too has the same LTE bands. So I leave it at that.

ref: link

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes